PDA

View Full Version : I stuck a case in the chamber of my Marlin 1894 .41Mag

kgb
05-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Had a case split completely around the middle and the back half ejected out, first time I had that happen in any gun. Front half, about 50% of the original, was left in the chamber. A plastic cleaning pick wouldn't catch the mouth, but a sharpened and bent metal clothes hanger caught and pulled it right out the next day. I figure the soft metal wouldn't be able to scratch the chamber/rifling and a bright light suggests it didn't, so far as I can see.

This is Remington brass, loaded multiple times. Some of the cases had started splitting at the mouths and I lost about 10 percent the last time I shot them; last year at one point I had one crack further down at the middle, not quite reaching the mouth, and I've had other cases do that in the past. First time I've had one split in half like this.

This load was pretty light, 11gr of HS-6 and cast bullets I obtained in trade from a friend who used to shoot silhouette with a DW .41. Boolits look like a Lyman design cast SWC, they were mid-1200fps in the rifle for 5 shots over the chronograph, then the first one of the remaining 65 broke and stuck. I didn't watch the (1/2pc. of)brass fall, just found the next round wouldn't chamber and started trying to unstick the piece. Shot the rest of the rounds in a revolver, getting 1100fps. No obvious splits, but the cases will get examined after sizing and before priming.

I've culled bottleneck rifle cases due to case head separation, my 6mm Rem M788 has shown a pretty heavy loss in cases as I used to load it up to book maxes. Never stuck one in the chamber of a rifle, as I have caught the internal ridges with a bent coathanger wire probe in time. First time I've thought of checking for the same with a pistol cartridge.

These .41 cases could have been fired in several chambers over time, with 35 different individual chambers among revolvers, two T/C barrels and two Marlins. I've never segregated brass by the gun it's fired in, but moving forward with new Starline brass am wondering if that's an effort worth taking--do any of you do that?

John in WYO
05-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Stick a .44 or .45 pistol brush on a rod, insert it into the chamber from the rear (take the lever and bolt out first) until the brush is inside the piece of the case. Push it into the case, pull backwards, the bristles dig into the case and it should pull right out.
Been there, done that, have the tee shirt.

swamp
05-12-2014, 01:39 AM
I put the rod down the bore and screw on the brush thru the ejection port. Results are the same, but don't have to remove bolt. I'm just lazy.

swamp

kgb
05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Gives you a little more leverage going from the muzzle, Swamp? :)

I pulled the bolt to get at the case with the coat hanger, next time (hope there isn't one) I'll have to try that .45 brush trick. While the plastic pick wasn't able to pull the case free it really didn't take much pulling from the sharpened hanger wire to release the case.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I run an oversize brass brush in from the muzzle(44 or 45 brush for your .41). Push the damaged (headless) case through, unscrew rod and remove brush from ejection port. Low risk of damage or getting anything stuck. Have used on .308, .300 Savage , .243; mostly cases I thought might go 'just one more time'.

swamp
05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
It happened once with my Win 94 in 44 mag. A little less trouble than with a side eject. Head seperrated.

Don't know about more leverage. Just easier to push it out and not have to remove bolt.

swamp

JLarsson
05-13-2014, 01:46 AM
These .41 cases could have been fired in several chambers over time, with 35 different individual chambers among revolvers, two T/C barrels and two Marlins. I've never segregated brass by the gun it's fired in, but moving forward with new Starline brass am wondering if that's an effort worth taking--do any of you do that?

I think segregating by times fired is probably more useful than by firearm used. I like to separate headstamps, but for .40 S&W and 9 mm, it doesn't seem to make much difference. My .44 Mag, .41 Mag, and .357 Mag all are sorted by "batch". Load a "batch", shoot them, reload, regardless of what they are shot in.

Roosters
05-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Bore Snake worked for me. Case stayed on the snake.

swamp
05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Bore Snake worked for me. Case stayed on the snake.

Good thinking! Bore Snake is the easiest. Wasn't around when I stuck mine.
swamp

kgb
05-15-2014, 07:54 PM
I'll have to get a .41 Bore snake for future use, sounds easy.

I loaded up some more rounds to shoot today, Starline brass with just a few reloads on it, same cast boolits and this time Power Pistol, 9gr of which gooses those same boolits around the same speed as 11gr of HS-6. I just wanted to see how dirty the barrel became in 50 rounds as I'm going to use cast for cowboy silhouette now. Shot the first 5 at paper at 50 yards, ran 40 through the gun at the 100yd gong then shot the last 5 on paper to compare. If anything they shot better so I think I have the load for the bullets.

The extractor wouldn't always pull out an empty case, maybe 8 times I had to use a cleaning rod with a jag on it to bump the case out. Looks like the extractor may be springing away from the case when the bolt closes and barely catching the empties to pull them out. With the bolt out I can see the extractor has a fine grip on a case rim, so something's going on when it's in battery. Also, time for a deeper cleaning of the chamber appears in order.