PDA

View Full Version : Sad day yesterday

Mausermeister
05-11-2014, 02:21 PM
My Lee Auto-Prime expired yesterday evening. I was prepping 40 S&W cases and came across another stubborn piece of Winchester brass. As always before, I just pressed a little harder. That's when the lever broke.

I do not remember how old he was, at least 15 years, probably older. We spent many many hours together over the years and primed countless thousand pieces of brass.

My search for a replacement part was in vain. It seems Lee Precision has changed the design and parts are no longer available.

I am going to try the new Ergo-Prime, but it just will not be the same.

Rest in peace my old friend. You will be remembered and missed always.

Hardcast416taylor
05-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Midway has replacement levers for the LEE priming tool. I bought 2 from them last Fall. They are slightly different, but they work fine on my handi prime tool.Robert

EDG
05-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I have at least one of every Lee priming tool every made.
Read the reviews at MidwayUSA before you buy. Then shop for a used old style Autoprime.

rondog
05-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I have an Auto Prime, it works good but inflames my tendonitis and arthritis. I use it for small batches, but rarely.

I also have an Auto Prime II, the press mounted version. That one works really well, I prefer to use it for batch priming, I'll sit and prime up several hundred cases in one sitting.

I'm a wierdo, I guess. I like to get my brass all cleaned, polished, resized, trimmed and reprimed first, then store it that way. When I want to load, I just have to fill 'em up.

blikseme300
05-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I still have 2 of these units but no longer use them since my carpal tunnel surgery. I too prefer to prime rifle brass off press and looked long and hard at alternatives. I bit the boolit and bought the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool. I am very pleased and impressed with this tool and even though I smarted at the cost the ease with which I primed 500 cases last night made it worth it.

tazman
05-11-2014, 05:36 PM
I recently purchased a Lee ergo prime as a replacement for my broken auto prime. The handling is a bit different, but the priming is much easier due to increased leverage and using the fingers instead of the thumbs.

seagiant
05-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi,
Might I suggest.....

Mausermeister
05-11-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm a wierdo, I guess. I like to get my brass all cleaned, polished, resized, trimmed and reprimed first, then store it that way. When I want to load, I just have to fill 'em up.
I do the same thing. I like to have my brass prepped and ready to go when I get ready to load.

sirgknight
05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Since purchasing the Lee Classic Turret Press a few years ago, I have done practically all of my priming on that press. I still have my Lee Auto Prime and do occasionally use it when loading special brass shotshells. The Classic Press is a wonderful way to prime, IMO. Sorry about your losing your reloading companion......

AlaskanGuy
05-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I am putting together a range bag, and the old version of the autoprime, a lee hand press, and some other goodies are going inside... :)

flyingmonkey35
05-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Did you call Lee?

Just for curiosities sake. see what they offer up.

Mausermeister
05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Lee will let me have one of the new auto-prime xr at half off msrp plus shipping. I decided to just get one of the new ergos since it looked like it would be a little easier on the hands.

EDG
05-11-2014, 09:27 PM

Newbies tend to want to run a lot completely through all processes at one sitting. That makes a large lot of rifle cases that have to be trimmed a long, tiring boring job.

I do the same as Rondog especially with large lots of cases.

1. Deprime all cases by hand with a Lee punch and base.
2. I clean the cruddy & lightly corroded cases and acid wash them, clean the primer pockets, scrap the bad ones.
3. Tumble any of the cruddy cases if there are pink oxides that need to be removed.
4. Size
5. Trim if required.
6. Deburr and remove the shavings and chips
7. I used to prime and then put away. Not anymore

When primers were really cheap I would prime my most popular brass. Now with primers so expensive I do not tie the primers up. I caught myself having to mine or cannibalize the primers from some cases to load others.

Old timers probably wonder why I wasted my time listing all of this since they already know to do this.
I just added it for some of the new guys that are just starting out during this era of Obama shortages.

km101
05-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I ran into the same problem shortly after Lee discontinued the Auto-Prime. They said that they did not stock replacement parts and had no idea where to find them. I went to Fleabay and scored a couple of used units that I keep for parts. I have kept mine clean and lubed and have not broken anything (yet), but if I do I have spare parts now. I have used my original unit since 1980 and it is still going!

Since I have gone to progressives for loading handgun rounds, I find myself priming on the press for those rounds.

I only use my Auto-Prime for rifle rounds, so I think I have enough to last me as long as I am able to see to shoot. :) And my eyes may wear out before the Auto-Primes do!

Mk42gunner
05-11-2014, 10:32 PM
I know I have written of this before, but here it is again:

Back when I lived on board ship or in the barracks, I was reloading at various friends houses. One had the Lee auto prime, another had the RCBS hand priming tool. the RCBS unit fit my hand better, let me use my whole hand instead of just my thumb, and it uses regular shellholders.

I bought the RCBS at a gunshow more than twenty years ago and have not had any trouble with it in several thousand primers. It is what I would be looking for instead of replacement parts for the older style Lee.

Robert

Moonie
05-12-2014, 09:04 AM
I have had all of the Lee hand priming tools except the original with screw on shell holders. I actually like the XR but I like the ergo the best. Many years ago I had one of the RCBS versions that had the primer tray and used the standard shell holders, it worked very well and I liked it a lot however it is my understanding that the current production of these is in China and the quality is quite inferior to what it was in the past.

bruce drake
05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi,
Might I suggest.....

Buy a Lee C Press and a Ram Prime and you still have $50 left over to buy a 1000 primers ;)

enfieldphile
05-12-2014, 01:12 PM
The Ergo-Prime is a good tool. I like mine.

Get an L.E. Wilson primer pocket reamer (the kind made to go in the Wilson Trimmer). It can be hand held. It will "massage" tight or balky primer pockets. Excessive pressure will no longer be required when seating primers. I use one all the time to bring S&B .45ACP primer pockets to standard size. The pocket mouth will have a nice, gentle curve.

My Lee Auto-Prime expired yesterday evening. I was prepping 40 S&W cases and came across another stubborn piece of Winchester brass. As always before, I just pressed a little harder. That's when the lever broke.

I am going to try the new Ergo-Prime.

762 shooter
05-12-2014, 03:52 PM
This is where I went when my old buddy died.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-Auto-Prime-Includes-Primer-Trays-and-Punches-for-Large-and-Small-Primers-/261473872353

tmc-okc
05-12-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't know when I purchased my original Lee Auto Prime But the box has a $10.89 price sticker on it. It is still going strong. In a FleaBay purchase a couple years ago I obtained another along with the item I was really wanting. Then recently I found an Ergo Prime at a garage sale for $10.00 - NEW still in the box - couldn't resist. Haven't tried the Ergo Prime yet but like the idea of using my fingers instead of my thumb to prime. Think I will also like the square primer trays. My grandson wont have so many primers to pickup off the floor. Hate those BIG square primer boxes we get nowadays. I also have an older squeeze type priming tool without a removable head for our 218 Bee. I cant remember if it is a Lee or RCBS..

Ron

slim1836
05-12-2014, 05:19 PM
My LEE hand prime (with the round trays) handle snapped in half last week, now I have to prime using my press. LEE's parts area does not show a replacement handle, guess I'll have to break down and buy another.

Slim

starmac
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I have read where member here have used the new style handle that is available from lee on the old style tools. Maybe a good test for the new and improved search tool.

slim1836
05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Slim

I have read where member here have used the new style handle that is available from lee on the old style tools. Maybe a good test for the new and improved search tool.

Mausermeister
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
If someone would confirm that it will work, I will get one and have an extra. According to Lee, the new handle will not work on the old round tray priming tool.

a.squibload
05-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Mine busted a linkage, made my first replacement part too short,
then came up with this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-40OgpNh6owY/U3FtpEOb64I/AAAAAAAAA0c/DLkr2e7xdkA/w371-h278-no/Auto+prime+link.jpg

starmac
05-12-2014, 09:11 PM
My understanding is lee claims it won't, but at least one member (I don't remember who) said he tried it anyway and it worked for him. Mine hasn't broke, soo I don't myself have any answer for you. I am kicking myself as I threw one away a couple years ago, that the handle was good on. At the time I had another one in better shape, and didn't know they were prone to breaking. I seldom use mine though, preferring the ram prime of depending on the press, just using it.

shoot-n-lead
05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
I have had all of the Lee hand priming tools except the original with screw on shell holders. I actually like the XR but I like the ergo the best. Many years ago I had one of the RCBS versions that had the primer tray and used the standard shell holders, it worked very well and I liked it a lot however it is my understanding that the current production of these is in China and the quality is quite inferior to what it was in the past.

I like the RCBS priming tool...but I have never had one that was good quality, even those from 20yrs ago...seemed like 5000rds was about the life of them.

Zymurgy50
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Today I decided to begin upgrading my reference library and I bought Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. On page 34 he states that as the old style hand prime with the round trays is now deemed "unsafe", if you return the old style auto prime (broken or working) to Lee along with half the cost of the current hand prime unit, Lee will replace the old unit with the new style.

I have one with the round trays and a new unit with the square trays, haven't used the new one much yet but I am sure it will get a good workout in the future.

starmac
05-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Wasn't there a case or two of someone somehow popping a primer off with the old style? I seem to remember you were only suppose to use one brand of primers with them, maybe cci.

afish4570
05-13-2014, 12:15 AM
This helps reduce wear on the part that pushes the small or lg. primer pin up. That part wears to the point it won't seat the primers all the way. When this happens put a small piece of a soda can on top of it (greased on both sides). This shim will give you a few more years of service. Takes alittle fussing, trimming and adjustment but works.....easier than trying to describe it.

A pause for the COZ
05-13-2014, 03:14 AM
I have an Auto Prime, it works good but inflames my tendonitis and arthritis. I use it for small batches, but rarely.

I also have an Auto Prime II, the press mounted version. That one works really well, I prefer to use it for batch priming, I'll sit and prime up several hundred cases in one sitting.

Here is a good tip for the Auto Prime II and small primers. I use the Bushings from my RCBS APS primer in the shell holders for the LEE tool.
Improves the performance 110% No more off center primers getting mashed.
RCBS part# 186232 large bushing
RCBS part# 186233 small bushing.

You use both for small primers. You can call RCBS and order them.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9266_zps660dc057.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9265_zps6aa9f007.jpg

I have not filled a APS strip since.

Fyodor
05-13-2014, 03:25 AM
Great idea, I was trying to get a part machines to do exactly the same thing. Just need to find out where to get these little parts individually over here in Germany...

Mausermeister
05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Today I decided to begin upgrading my reference library and I bought Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. On page 34 he states that as the old style hand prime with the round trays is now deemed "unsafe", if you return the old style auto prime (broken or working) to Lee along with half the cost of the current hand prime unit, Lee will replace the old unit with the new style.
Yes, but by the time you pay to ship your old one to them and then pay their shipping rate to get the new one, you can go just about anywhere on the interwebs and purchase a new one cheaper.

spfd1903
05-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I love the old Auto prime. I realized when in use, there is no barrier between the priming action and the rest of the primers in the tray, so I always wear Safety glasses. The Ergo prime came out a few years ago and was touted as now having a barrier for safety against chain detonations. Ingenious the way the primers came out of the tray and were routed up and down into the priming area. I found it to cause more sideways and flipped primers. Let my Step son try it and he broke it after a couple hundred primers. Quickly went out and bought up some of the remaining Auto primes in the LGS's. Kept one set up for LP's and one for small. I have the RCBS unit for if and when all the Auto primes wear out or break.

DLCTEX
05-14-2014, 10:18 PM
I have four of the auto primes I bought years ago off eBay for cheap. Back before the craze I would bid low and was surprised to buy them so cheap. They have loaded many thousands of primers and get occasional lube of parts. I don't care for the primer tubes for the RCBS table top. I used them for a while on my Rockhucker and found them to be a pain.

roysha
05-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Buy a Lee C Press and a Ram Prime and you still have $50 left over to buy a 1000 primers ;)

And when the primers are gone you will still have a nice example of aluminum and plastic junk.

9.3X62AL
05-15-2014, 01:26 AM
I prime cases in a number of ways, depending on caliber and operation under way at the time. I sometimes use the swing-arm on the Rock Chucker; other times I use the RCBS Positive Ram priming unit on this same press. Often I prime handgun ammo on the Ponsness-Warren P-200 using its version of the ram unit.

Fyodor
05-15-2014, 03:04 AM
Great idea, I was trying to get a part machines to do exactly the same thing. Just need to find out where to get these little parts individually over here in Germany...

RCBS has an incredibly great service. They'll ship the parts to me free of costs, to Germany! Thanks RCBS!

slim1836
05-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Repaired my handle using this 2 part epoxy.

Added 2 finishing nails under (kind of like rebar in conc.) the epoxy to help bridge the break.105205

I had already bought a new LEE (square tray) and tried the handle in my old primer, which seemed to function fine, although I did not prime any casings.

Hopefully I'll try both out today, see which one I like more, and have a backup in case this happens again.

Slim

slim1836
05-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Well, the old handle broke first time I used it, back to the drawing board, however, I PUT THE NEW STYLE HANDLE IN MY OLD PRIMER AND IT DID WORK.

Slim

Mausermeister
05-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Well, the old handle broke first time I used it, back to the drawing board, however, I PUT THE NEW STYLE HANDLE IN MY OLD PRIMER AND IT DID WORK.

Slim
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be ordering the new handle, maybe two so I will have a spare.

zuke
05-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Here is a good tip for the Auto Prime II and small primers. I use the Bushings from my RCBS APS primer in the shell holders for the LEE tool.
Improves the performance 110% No more off center primers getting mashed.
RCBS part# 186232 large bushing
RCBS part# 186233 small bushing.

You use both for small primers. You can call RCBS and order them.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9266_zps660dc057.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9265_zps6aa9f007.jpg

I have not filled a APS strip since.

I'm looking for one of these because I now have to prime my 577-450 brass on the press and don't like to touch the primer's.
Any idea's on where to pick one up?

zuke
05-18-2014, 07:17 AM
And when the primers are gone you will still have a nice example of aluminum and plastic junk.

But proudly made in the good ol' USA!
Not like that rcbs junk made in China!

Fyodor
05-19-2014, 02:37 AM

You can find them on ebay.com frequently, but be prepared to pay too much. I was lucky and mine was "only" 30.00USD prul shipping to Germany, so about double original price.

A pause for the COZ
05-20-2014, 11:00 PM

Yes Ebay is the number 1 spot to look. Took two years for me to find one. They were around but would always bid higher than I would pay.

Gun shows and swap meets are good places to find one too.
Actually Thats where I finally got one. On a table with a bunch of other reloading stuff.
$15 and it was in my bag.

Funny thing though after I got one. I put a bid on a auction that was going to end at 3am ( I like those)

Bingo!!! Another one for $15.

So now I have two. Spare parts dont ya know...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9304_zpsdb7a4fe6.jpg

r1kk1
05-21-2014, 10:15 AM
But proudly made in the good ol' USA!
Not like that rcbs junk made in China!

Made in China? No
RCBS? Yes
Junk? No

A percentage of proceeds going to DAV (Disabled American Veterans).

I have number 24 of 2013 made in Red, White, Blue colors.

It is also sporting a LNL bushing and now arbor press bushing conversion to use Wilson dies. Now mounted to one of Pat Marlin's Rock Dock with no overhang. It looks nice next to the Ultramag, COAX, and Champion.

My wife spotted this press on the Shot Show videos last year and with two out of three kids in the Navy, bought one.

r1kk1