PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Lyman 45/450/4500 lube leak.

hunter64
01-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I was given a Lyman 450 that would constantly leak lube out of the bottom, if you had the just right amount of pressure then you were ok, if there was the slightest over pressure out the front under the base it would squirt. I read about a thin piece of cardboard under the base to cure the problem and I am sure it would work but what if you need to heat the lube, the cardboard would act like a heat shield for the sizer and no heat would be transfered. I use the cheap mans piece of steel under the sizer and then put an old clothes iron on top of the metal and it works great with just the right amount of heat for the lube. So after I had taken the 450 off for the third time last Saturday to clean all the lube off of the bottom, I got an idea. I took a piece of 28 gauge tin and cut it so that it covered the seal plug/pressure screw by about 1/2 all the way around and I made the front of the tin flat against the sizer so looking down the piece of tin resembled a big "D" shape. I took high temperature silicone seal that you use on your car and just lightly applied to the edge of the tin and then squished it down onto the sizer, wiped off any excess glue and then bolted it down to the metal plate. The lube if it leaks will be caught inside the little pocket that the metal covers and no more leaks. You can now use a heater and it works fabulously, if you ever need to replace the o-ring or service it, then just pry the glue/tin up and there you have it. I just did 1500 .44 mag from one of the group buys and never once had to clean any lube up. For the heck of it I undid the mounting screws and peaked under neath and the tin is holding it in wonderfully, no lube escaping anywhere.

jtaylor1960
01-09-2008, 05:33 AM
When I bolt mine to the bench I put a piece of cardboard under it like a gasket.Seems to work.

hunter64
01-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Exactly, I put the tin "gasket" so I could use a source of heat still.

MT Gianni
01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I mounted mine with a piece of rubber under it. I think even an old bicycle tube or tire tube would be thick enough. Gianni

fourarmed
01-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I used some fender washers the same size as the bottom cover of the reservoir. Took some experimenting to find the right thickness.

Gussy
01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Mine is bolted to an oversized piece of 1/2" thick steel. I made it about 1&1/2" past the edges so I could easily clamp it to the bench. I move mine around a lot and remove it when not needed so I can store it out of the way. Helps keep the bench cleared for other projects.

I did put a new O ring in before bolting it down. No more leaks.

osage
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I also used a fender washer under the reservoir on my 450. No leaks yet. But I've not had to run any heat either.

Maven
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Mine leaked like a sieve as well. I tried everything: JB Weld around the base where the vertical rod meets it; a large O ring; various washers, to no avail. It presently sits on a pc. of Al that I use to conduct heat, which didn't help matters any, i.e., until I read about making a cardboard gasket in "The Fouling Shot" (Ken Mollohan aka "Molly" here). It took less than 15 mins. from start to finish to unbolt the #450, cut & trim the cardboard gasket, and rebolt the machine. The heater still works, and best of all, it hasn't leaked one bit since I fixed it.

mroliver77
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Mine leaked and gaskets, washers, epoxies etc didnt help. One day I set down and told myself " I will not stop working on it until I figure it out." After a complete teardown and cleaning I realised the seat cut into the base of the casting was cut crooked and the bolt would pull the base piece out of kilter and blow the ring. I ended up seating it with new O-ring then lapping a new seat for the pressure bolt so it would not pull at an angle on the seat anymore. It has worked great ever since :) I love my ols Star but the Lyman still does a lot of work for me. Jay

' After a complete cleaning I found that the