PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1903 Springfield barrel

gnoahhh
05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Particulars in my "Want to buy" ad in classifieds.

I figure a man should have one all-original U.S. martial arm in his collection, that hasn't been sporterized! I've settled on this one.

Jack Stanley
05-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Years ago Bill Ricca found a barrel for me . It was new old stock and he told me it had not been demilled and restraightened . Something I did not know was that a good many of these barrels were demilled by bending before being released . Bill told me the one that had not been bend made better shooters and this one really has . For me it was well worth the price tag .

Good luck on the search , Jack

OBIII
05-11-2014, 11:25 PM
If you are talking about a 1903 barrel only, check the CMP forum. Also, google is your friend. Expect to pay 125 and up for a good one.

OB

captain-03
05-12-2014, 01:11 AM
http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=BAR

gnoahhh
05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
The quest has just begun so I'll hold off on the Criterion barrel. I do like the Criterion barrels having put one on a Krag sporter. I'll also bet the tolerances held by the folks at Krieger/Criterion are better than the average Arsenal barrel was- to the extent that I would guess that a new Criterion barrel would stand a pretty good chance of passing the old Star Gauge test. That coupled with the fact that they are quasi-government barrels and as close as one can get in this day and age to getting a fresh barrel from Uncle Sam for one's Springfield (like one could do in the 20's-30's) makes it an attractive deal. Furthermore they are the only aftermarket barrels approved by the CMP for the Vintage matches at Camp Perry, as far as I know.

madsenshooter
05-12-2014, 02:20 PM
I don't know if you have any intent on shooting in CBA matches, but there, only USGI original barrels are allowed. I've argued for allowing the Criterions but my arguments fell on deaf ears. That might be a pretty literal statement!

Any brand of replacement barrel for Vintage, as long as it's the original contour.

rockrat
05-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Got a new one still with cosmoline on it. PM me if interested. Think its a new 2 groove '44 barrel

gnoahhh
05-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks rockrat, but it sounds like a 1903A3 barrel. Not proper for a pre-war 03A1.

lonewelder
05-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Keep watching cmp forums.they come up for sale now and then

gnoahhh
05-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Thank you. Keep those cards and letters coming!

leadman
05-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Remington did make 1903s at the start of WWII. I can't remember the date on the one I had and traded away. I think by '44 it would be a 1903a3.
If the sight is on the barrel it would be a 1903, no sight, 1903a3.

gnoahhh
05-15-2014, 10:01 AM
For the benefit of newbies (old hand '03 guys will know this):

Yes, no, maybe. Remington took on the old 1903 tooling from Rock Island Arsenal, most of which pre-dated WWI, in 1940-41 with the aim of producing '03s for England (who was desperate for anything that could shoot). The tooling was old and half worn out but they managed to ramp up production of '03 rifles "for the cause". When we got in the war very shortly thereafter the gov't directed Remington to go all out in '03 production, primarily for our own use to supplement the M1 Garands which were standard. That's when Remington put forth the design changes that allowed them to replace a lot of milled '03 parts with stampings, sight changes, and shortcuts involving surface finishes. The two groove barrels were a result of the same time saving design changes and came along shortly thereafter (earliest 03A3 barrels having 4 grooves like their predecessors). The re-designed rifle came to be known as the 03A3, and was a crude imitator of the finely crafted pre-war Springfield. They certainly worked, and worked well, but when your back is up against the wall you don't care how pretty your guns are and the 03A3 reflects that attitude.

Some contracts for barrels were let out during the war for 4-groove '03 barrels, so not all mid-late WWII dated Springfield barrels were 2-groovers. Case in point: Sedgley made a run of 4 groove '03 barrels in 1944 specifically for the rebuilding of '03s possessed by the Marine Corp, and are marked "U.S.M.C." with a 1944 date, and Sedley's trademark S in a circle.