PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt with Pyrodex pellets?

CTI1USNRET
05-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Has anyone tried using the 45 cal 30 gr Pyrodex pellets with a 250 gr copper plated RNFP in a Ruger Vaquero? With the copper plated bullet there is no lubricant. Is there any reason I shouldn't try it?

Steve

My blog LIVE FREE OR DIE (http://americanslivingfree.com/)

"It's not the critic who counts ..."

bigted
05-11-2014, 12:02 PM
I see no reason at all to not just get rite with the program and let er rip. be interesting to hear what your outcome is ... only thing I would caution ... concerns air pocket between the pellet and the base of the boolit. I think I would be careful to ensure the boolit is seated rite on the pellet.

nhrifle
05-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Little bit of filler fluff between the pellet and the base of the boolit might work too.

bikerbeans
05-11-2014, 01:04 PM
A few years back, I had this same question regarding pyrodex pellets and a couple of .458 cartridge rifles. I emailed hodgdon tech. support and was told that unlike BP the pyrodex pellets were okay to have an air gap. I loaded and fired over a 100 rounds of 45-70 and 45-120 using the lee 405 HB bullet. The testing was fine for function but not so good regarding accuracy, probably due to my lack of experience loading BP cartridges.

BB

Grapeshot
05-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Using the Pyro pellets in .45 Colt cases is fine. I prefer to use them in .45 Schofield but there is no problem in using them with a small air gap between pellet and boolit. I've done it for years and the maker, Hogdon, stated years ago that it was safe to do so even with the powder form of Pyrodex.

Dale53
05-17-2014, 09:59 AM
This won't help with the O.P. question. However, Pyrodex (Pistol grade) works fine through a powder measure. I have shot LOTS of them in my Ruger Bisley Vaquero with absolutely excellent results. Always keep in mind that Pyrodex requires a good cleaning regimen right after using (I use liberal amounts of "Friendship Speed Juice" then finish with Ed's Red. It's always a good idea to use a liberal amount of Ed's Red a couple of days later.

My Bisley still looks like new after thousands of these loads (I use Lyman's 452664 bullet 30/1 lead/tin and lubed with Emmert's home mix bullet lube). SPG bullet lube works well, too, of course.

FWIW
Dale53