PDA

View Full Version : Inline Seating Die and Press

HollandNut
05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Are these a worthwhile addition or something un necessary ??

What about a chamber swab ??

Dan Cash
05-11-2014, 09:01 AM
I use a home made inline seating die on a redding T7 press. It produces a superlative cartridge in terms of runout and reduces the amount of belling required to prevent bullet shaving. The die will not work on my Co-Ax presses.
Hope this helps, Dan

Nobade
05-11-2014, 09:06 AM
And I am in the "no neck tension" camp. I size just enough to let the expander die touch the case, and the expander is sized to allow a boolit to fit with firm thumb pressure. So I don't use a seater die at all, at least with my 45-70 match ammo.

-Nobade

Char-Gar
05-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Straight line seating is important so the bullet is not seated crooked or canted in the case neck. There are many ways to do this from press mounted dies to hand dies. I use both types.

longranger
05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
I like the Vickerman inline seater,s can do lots of different cartridges with just a shell holder change.Shell holders are proprietary as they are elevated but not expensive.

Char-Gar
05-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I like the Vickerman inline seater,s can do lots of different cartridges with just a shell holder change.Shell holders are proprietary as they are elevated but not expensive.

RCBS and others make extended shell holders that work well with the Vickerman. No need to be the ones made for the Vickerman. I have been using Vickerman seating dies for 50 years and think highly of them. I even have some custom bullet sleeves for cast bullets.

kokomokid
05-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Vickerman will work on long ammo such as 45-100 without an extended shell holder. For shorter I use a universal shell holder made by Hornady #392171. If my run out is low I don't use the inline seater. LB

longranger
05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Good to know that other shell holders will work on the Vickeman,thanks

MT Chambers
05-15-2014, 11:40 PM
I use an in-line bullet seater when I am looking for extreme accuracy with cast bullets, usually .30 cal. or .22, usually i don't have to flare the case mouth when using them.

Baja_Traveler
05-16-2014, 12:22 AM
I only use the Flare die in my 45-70 Cowboy dies anymore. I deprime at the range, clean the brass and put a slight bell in the case mouth, then hand prime and drop powder and compress with an .060 Walters Wad. I push in the bullet by hand, and then use a taper crimp die from BACO. I adjusted the taper die just enough to take the flare out to chamber the round again and just hold the bullet in - it still spins easily in the case.
Shot my way up to AAA on the silhouette range once I started doing that. Once I learn to read wind better my scores will continue to go up...

I always have a chamber swab on hand on the line - sometimes I don't squeeze enough liquid out of my patches and end up with a wet chamber. Obviously, if you only blow tube you don't need it...