PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Speer Rifle Brass??

Dipperman
01-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I have been shopping the web looking for some brass for my 6.5 x 55 Swede. At Graf & Sons I found Speer rifle brass. (About $8.00 per 100 less than Remington or Winchester.) I would like to know if any member here has worked with Speer rifle brass and how it compares to the other brands.

Thanks in advance.

Dipperman

Buckshot
01-09-2008, 01:06 AM
...............Several years back I bought a bunch of Speer 30-06 and it was headstamped DWM. I suppose that was who Speer was sourcing it from at the time. So far as quality, it was very nice. I didn't do a weight sampling or anything like that. Just appearance.

..............Buckshot

Johnch
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I am currently using that 6.5 x 55 brass for jacketed loads
Not RWS or Lapua , but as good or better than Remington

I have only loaded the first 100 2 times
No lost cases or problems

John

rugerdude
01-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Speer brass is usually pretty good. I have used piles of their handgun brass with no problems, but have only worked with their rifle brass a little. So far though, has been excellent.

Biathlon
01-10-2008, 11:11 AM
You can make your own 6.5x55 brass from .270 Winchester brass if you have it.
Anneal the case
Run into Full length 6.5x55 die with expander ball removed
trim to length (2.165") and chamfer
Full length resize WITH expander ball in place
Base will fireform on first firing.

1Shirt
01-11-2008, 01:26 AM
I shot a lot of Speer brass in a 7 Mag, and never had a problem. If memory serves me right, got at least 6-7 loads out of it. Never full length resized however, and never loaded it to max pressures as less than max was more than adequate and accurate.
1Shirt!:coffee:

crowbeaner
01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
If Speer is still getting their brass from DWM it is top quality stuff. DWM has been in the munitions business forever, and a lot of soldiers didn't come back from their deployments in 2 world wars from the ammo DWM made. I used to have a bunch of Speer pistol brass and it was very good. Easily the equal of Norma, and Norma makes world class ammo.