PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone Reloading stand for $30 bucks!!

flyingmonkey35
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Hey Gang,

I was at Harbor Fright picking up some Red PC, when I noticed this little beauty for $30, and said to my self, Monkey! this would make a Awesome stand alone reloading platform.

what do you all think?

is it worth it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

ReloaderFred
05-10-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd either fasten it to the floor, or put about 500 pounds of lead on the shelf. I like my benches to be really solid, with no play or movement at all. On the other hand, if you're limited for space, this will probably work with a good thick plywood top on it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

flyingmonkey35
05-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I was thinking on the lines of a single stage press, for travel or just throw the idea out there for someone. it looks real similar to Lees.

There using a a large concrete block as a counter weight.

it could save some one some dough! as midway is selling this for $104.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/324379/lee-reloading-stand

RogerDat
05-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Well flyingmonkey I think this is a really good idea. On reading the harbor freight reviews almost everyone praised it as being sturdy. Two are using as a reloading bench.

Two suggestions for raising the height above the stock 32 inches were also mentioned in the reviews. The Lee reloading stand from Midway is 39 inches tall. The suggestions were add bed risers, which are angle iron legs that you can purchase in sets of 4 to raise your metal mattress frame. But the one I really think will work well for reloading is build a box riser base for it out of wood, and mount the stand to that.

Would have to dig up some brackets to mount stand to wood base with (or weld on a foot) but one could put the weight in or on the wood base and it should be very solid. With the added advantage of getting it too the height you want to work at when reloading. Both 2 x 8 and 1 x 8's would get you up to just over the 39 inch height of the Lee stand. Double row of them for the sides is 46.5 inches, 6" inch lumber would get you working at 43 inch height or cut sides for box riser to exactly the height you want.

If you work sitting and want 32 inch stand then mount it to a flat board. Put weight on that flat base. Should be solid.

I'm going to bookmark this page. I have an 8 foot work bench in the garage but I use that bench so I can't have it set up with a press all the time. Would rather reload in the basement anyway.

frogleg
05-11-2014, 06:44 PM
I think it would work well.with weight hanging like the lee, it would fit in a closet for us with limited space.

R.Ph. 380
05-11-2014, 06:58 PM
I am using one with a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme for .224 swaging. Works fine.

Bill

sirgknight
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I use two of those stands.....one for my miter saw and one for an outdoor shooting table to place firearms/ammo/clips/ear protection, etc. In my opinion these tables are not nearly sturdy or stable enough for reloading presses. The metal on these tables is very thin and has too much "give"; even if you welded the braces and bolted the legs to the floor, the stand would still not be a real stable and sturdy platform. Just my opinion.....

Handloader109
05-11-2014, 10:39 PM
I think they are too light. I have a Rockwell jaw horse that I have my press attached to. Best use of the jawhorse I have found.

Rory McCanuck
05-11-2014, 11:53 PM
I used a table saw stand as a small bench for a while.
Added about 150lbs of steel plates under it, and a plywood shelf in the braces near the bottom.
Tightened all the corner bolts right tight, and it's quite solid.
Worked well. Handles sizing well with both a Lee Challenger and the Co-ax, but seating tight primers on the press with the Challenger would tilt the stand over a bit. Other than priming, and it was too low to stand at, I liked it.

dudel
05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
I have one of those for a grinder, and to me, it's not nearly stable enough for reloading. I suppose you could anchor it to the floor and weigh it down with ingots. Mine had more "twist" in it than I liked. It also assumes your floor is perfectly level.

For a portable bench, I found that a Black and Decker workmate worked well enough. Not well enough to replace my bench though. Same issues regarding the level floor; but much more portable when folded up.