PDA

View Full Version : LBT Mold Not Closing Easily

alamogunr
05-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Really I have two molds that are difficult to close all the way. I've never used them but other LBT molds(2) that I have do close. I have tried to tap the alignment pins in some but have been sort of timid doing so. I don't want to damage anything. I suspect that I haven't moved the pins very much, if at all.

Anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do? I usually don't subscribe to the "bigger hammer" theory but might have to try it. I don't want to until I'm sure that it is the way to go.

Themoose
05-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Don't use a hammer or a file... and don't force it closed... I would recommend that you heat up your mould and apply some of the mould lube(small black stick) that Veral supplies at the pins... it worked well for me..Do you have the instructions that came with your mould? The other thing that may be off is the set of handles you are using... may have to slightly file them to align.... if that doesn't do it, contact Veral for his help... he backs up all of his products if you don't abuse them..

TheMoose.

TheMoose

dubber123
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I have a few LBT's, and all work much more smoothly with some lube on the pins. I always used the stuff supplied with the molds, but I imagine Bullplate would work well too. My LBT's are very tight.

alamogunr
05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
I lubed the pins with Bullplate, or rather the lube that comes with MP molds or NOE molds. They both look the same. I should have thought of Veral's lube sticks. It may be a better solution with the graphite. I assume that I can heat the mold on a hot plate like I do for casting.

My regular procedure is to place the mold on a 1/4" aluminum plate on the hot plate and gradually increase the temperature. I believe NOE says to cycle it 2 or 3 times. I'll try that tomorrow.

dubber123
05-10-2014, 08:49 PM
If you haven't used them, you may find they work fine when up to temp. Being the pins are steel, and the holes are just aluminum, I would expect the expansion rate to be different. I still lube mine, but they do get easier to use after a little break in. By far the tightest molds I own.

alamogunr
05-10-2014, 09:19 PM
I couldn't wait to try it out. I went out to the shop and heated up the pot filled with WW +≈2% Tin. Put the mold on the hot plate while the pot got up to temp. I didn't have time to cast very long but after about 4 pours the sprue plate was hot enough to let lead thru and started getting "good" boolits.

The boolits were sort of good. Extremely sharp bases but some wrinkles on the nose. I think that another good cleaning and some more casting would give all good boolits.

Saturday night is not a good time for me to be in the shop instead of getting ready to teach a Bible class tomorrow. I probably hurried things a little.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially using Veral's lube stick. Next week I'll work on it further.

CJR
05-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Alamogunr,

When I use LBT molds with Lee handles they can be a little difficult to close until I file the Lee handles a bit for clearance. Typically, the Lee handles fit too tightly in the LBT molds and can misalign the mold alignment pins and make it difficult to close the molds. My solution is to draw-file the Lee handles for proper mold clearance so that the mold alignment pins can work properly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

CJR