PDA

View Full Version : want input on bullet trap idea

bmortell
05-10-2014, 03:24 PM
just want to see what yous think about it, do your best to make a mental image here it goes. got a pipe 42'' long 9'' diameter 3/8 thick want to have it upright with a traingle shape cut from middle then bent closed and welded as to be bent at a 45 degree angle. so we got 21'' vertical on bottom half then top 21'' bends toward shooter at 45 degrees then the top opening is cut at a 45 degree so opening is directly facing shooter. basicly will look like a tractor trailer exhaust stack how they bend back and have the opening facing straight back (someone is thinking ah now i get it:-P) and it will have plate welded on bottom with a long section facing the direction it wants to tip. plans to empty it is lay tarp beside it tip it on it and stand it upside down.
so would it work good? will it need material in the bottom so bullets dont bounce back out?

dilly
05-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Might benefit from a bit of sand in the bottom. Couldn't hurt at least. Depending on what you wanted to shoot I'd be afraid that the "elbow" part would be the part that would get destroyed. Mild steel of 3/8 is pretty easily destroyed by gunfire. That spot might benefit from some sort of AR-500 reinforcement.

Just thinking. I'd love to see pictures if you do this.

propwashp47
05-10-2014, 04:09 PM
what is the end goal? to recover used lead and reuse it? if so steel is not your bud at best you will have splattered and powdered lead all over not just in the trap. there will be a fair amount lost and separating powdered lead from sand and dirt will be a pain . i think it will work ,but how well and how happy you will be and how easy to recover powdered lead may bee so may be not. for mine I want to recover my lead in one piece with easy recovery and easy reuse of the trap. so far I am able to stop and recover 45=70 at 50 feet in perfect shape the only damage to the lead will be if more hits strike the lead. easy to use targets with many poa and just move to a new target zone after a few shots. I hope your idea works out.

bmortell
05-10-2014, 04:50 PM
not gonna send rifles in it just want it to catch 44 and 38 lead, which i'd imagine itll last a long time with pistol rounds.
also i did just read some lead spatters back from a 45 degree plate, thinkin of not using anything in the bottom and just affixing old mudflaps to the opening, plan bieng small low energy particles bounce back into trap, and if bigger pieces were to want to bounce back up from the bottom they would have made atleast four points of contact by the time they reach the mudflap the second time and bounce back in. i realise ill pretty much get lead dust but hopefully ill recover decent percentage for remelting

Jailer
05-10-2014, 05:48 PM
There is a long thread in the sticky's about bullet traps of all sorts.

propwashp47
05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
go for it and take piks and give report

DCM
05-11-2014, 12:34 PM
There is a long thread in the sticky's about bullet traps of all sorts.

Here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?26627-Bullet-trap-ideas-for-recycling-lead

For pistol boolits they have some easier, cheaper more portable methods that won't turn them to dust there.

Ramjet-SS
05-11-2014, 07:24 PM
mine is 45 deg angle 3/8 A500 steel with side plates of the same heavy rubber belt in the front and sand in the bottom. no HI Powered rifle just lead and Handgun. the deminsions are 48" high by 30" wide by the depth to get the height.