PDA

View Full Version : What powder questions...

mdi
05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
We are seeing a lot of "can I use xxx powder in my .436 Migmim?" type questions. I know it is mostly because of the difficulty getting the powder best suited and trying to make due. So, is there any book, web site, or sticky that I missed that will give acceptable powders listed by caliber? More so than listed in a reloading manual; sorta "fringe" loads? Possibly powders that can be safely used in a cartridge, but outside the norm...

madsenshooter
05-10-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't think it gets much further than outside the norm than what can be found here, but I've been wondering how a caseful of American Pioneer FFg would do with cast bullets! LOL! Other than that, have you checked out the data on castpics?

mdi
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Funny that no one knows an answer for this thread...

Love Life
05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
What about handloads.com? I'm thinking quickloads is a must have with today's shortages. I have been debating ordering it.

DrCaveman
05-15-2014, 12:57 AM
What about handloads.com? I'm thinking quickloads is a must have with today's shortages. I have been debating ordering it.

Ive also been debating that. My hesitance comes from reports of its inaccuracy with certain powders and lack of inclusion of every powder available to buy. If im wrong about either of those points, someone please correct me

I think its high time we got a free-source pressure/velocity estimator up and running. The programming isnt too tricky; we just need usable burn rate quantitative values for powders and primers. From there, case volume is readily accessible, and boolit weight and case intrusion are easy math. What could really benefit would be the ability to enter a particular make & model firearm, with the critical dimensions being provided by the user

lancem
05-15-2014, 08:56 AM
I use loadData.com a lot, think it was $25 a year. I like it because I can just input a powder and it will come back with load data for all cartridges the powder is used in, or by cartridge, etc. I've used it a lot in this last year, mostly because of the powder shortage and trying to find a powder that could fill more than one bill.

a.squibload
06-04-2014, 05:02 AM
I don't think it gets much further than outside the norm than what can be found here, but I've been wondering how a caseful of American Pioneer FFg would do with cast bullets! LOL! Other than that, have you checked out the data on castpics?

I tried FFFg in 44spl, enough in the case to scrunch it a bit.
Don't remember the weight.
Worked fine, very smoky, 6 rounds made the Redhawk real dirty inside & out.
'Course I think 44spl was derived from a bp cartridge anyway.