PDA

View Full Version : 1911 barrel bushing... I think I got a good one... maybe?

Animal
05-10-2014, 11:30 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/214439?cm_mmc=S_Spop-Email-_-Service_Emails-_-OrderConfirmation-_-ProductLink

The muzzle end of my barrel measures at .579 at 12 and 6 o'clock. The largest inner diameter of my slide measures at .700 (probably closer to .6995).

The weapon is an RIA .45acp Govt. I'm looking for a duty-fit, not match-fit. What ya think?

Thanks

jmsj
05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
EGW makes some great stuff!
This is probably the bushing I would recommend for a drop in carry bushing. The "angle bore" feature works great and takes out the hardest part of fitting a bushing. Some of the best Bullseye gunsmiths use EGW for match guns. The inside and outside diameters are easy to fit if you have a lathe but the angle still has to be cut in by hand on a traditional match bushing. Seeing that your barrel is .579" and the bushing is cut to .580", that sounds like a great fit. On the slide fit even though the numbers look good, you might still have a little work to do around the staked front sight tenon. But that is no biggie, just go slow.
Good luck jmsj

nicholst55
05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
That bushing is going to be a tight fit, with only .001" clearance for both the barrel and the slide. You may have to do some minor fitting to get it to disassemble without a bushing wrench.

Animal
05-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm glad I chose a good one. I knew some fitting was going to be needed, but I had hoped the one I selected would make the process go easier. I went ahead and ordered a bushing wrench. thanks guys!

Animal
05-15-2014, 08:38 AM
The new bushing is installed. I did not have to do any fitting to get it to work. It is a very snug fit, but not too tight. I was expecting to have to spend some time doing some sanding. Can't wait to try it out!