PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army

dj454
05-09-2014, 11:40 PM
I went in a local pawn\gun store today. I didn't see anything that caught my eye until I was headed out the door. I glanced over and saw a blue Ruger Old Army with adjustable sights. The Old Army is one of my grail guns. The price was low so I asked to look at it.

It is an older gun by the looks of it and it didn't look like it has been well cared for. There was small rust spots but nothing terrible. I looked down the bore and it didn't look good. I can't tell if it is very badly leaded or very badly pitted. They let me remove the cylinder so I could look at the bore better. I honestly can't tell if it's lead or not. I have bought a lot of guns from this shop so I can probably get it cheap. The exterior can probably be cleaned up ok but the bore concerns me.

Would it be worth buying if I can get it cheap? I want a shooter but I hate to waste money on it if I can't enjoy shooting it. I can hope it is just lead fouling but it could be pitted under the lead even if it is. I'm torn on this one.

cwheel
05-10-2014, 12:10 AM
I got my ROA from a pawn shop as well. Condition wise it sounds the same. Mine had been well used but still in 80% + condition. Bore in mine is the roughest bore of all of my handguns. Gave it a go lapping the bore trying to get some of the rough edges of the top of the rifling but it didn't seam to make much of a difference. I got mine for something like $200, had they wanted more, I would have passed on the condition. Don't let a rough bore put you off, mine ended up shooting very accurately in spite of what looked like a rough bore. I only shoot round balls ( .457 ) and my standard powder charge is 35 gr. of Pyrodex P. Something worth noting is the balls that weigh in the 150 gr. range seam to do more damage to wood than my 45acp with hardball ammo ?? Also penetrate deeper than the 45 acp ?? I think a deer that was within 50 yards could be taken quite easily with these judging from the damage done to rounds of firewood. Way more energy than I'd imagined from a ball loader. With that load, almost no recoil, very lite. I notice that on Gun Broker, a decent one starts in the $400 range, condition issues or not, think I got my monies worth, happy with it for $200.
Chris

44man
05-10-2014, 03:57 PM
I have an old stainless one and use 41 gr of Swiss FFFG behind a RB. Velocity a little over 1100 FPS and I have taken a lot of deer with it. I can tell you it works and really well, gives a .44 mag a run for the money.

HollandNut
05-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I had one , lost in the house fire in '07 , great revolver

JesterGrin_1
05-10-2014, 04:58 PM
If you can get it Real Cheap and it does not clean up to your satisfaction you can always send it to Clements Custom Guns http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugeroldarmy.html as they can do many things to it if you should so wish.

I have a 76 Model Stainless I received as a Birthday Present when I was a kid and I have to say they are the Rolls Royce of Black Powder Pistols.

mainiac
05-11-2014, 07:12 AM
buy it cheap enough,and it would be worth while to send it back to ruger,for a complete rebuild.

dj454
05-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the reply's. I am going to head over there Monday and see if I can make a deal. Ruger Old Armys don't turn up very often in any condition at least in my neck of the woods.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-11-2014, 09:49 AM
I surely doubt the barrel is lead fouled...if it's rough, it's rust.
Also, be sure to look into the cylinder chambers and nipples as well.
If the barrel is rusted from poor cleaning, then the cylinder will be as well.
btw, nipples are $5 each...that's $30 to replace them all.

dj454
05-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I surely doubt the barrel is lead fouled...if it's rough, it's rust.
Also, be sure to look into the cylinder chambers and nipples as well.
If the barrel is rusted from poor cleaning, then the cylinder will be as well.
btw, nipples are $5 each...that's $30 to replace them all.

I did look in the cylinders and they all looked decent. There were a few spots but overall they looked pretty good.

singleshotman
05-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Ruger barrels are no good, I bought a No. 1 some time ago and fired it at the range and the rifle walked right up the target. Of course revolvers are just close range guns anywhy so maybe it doesn't matter all that much.

Maven
05-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Two comments: dj454, Why not telephone Ruger about the parts/service situation BEFORE you purchase the Old Army rev. If parts are scarce, as I suspect they now are, you may be stuck with a not-so-wonderful/accurate pistol.

singleshotman, Ruger rifle bbls. especially those on the #1 are of widely varying accuracy depending on whom Ruger procured them from. As for the problem with your #1, there is an easy fix for that involving a plastic shim from a bread or English muffin bag and the front end mounting pedestal.

singleshotman
05-16-2014, 11:14 AM
I sold that 45/70 years ago because it would not shoot for me.

BigAl52
05-17-2014, 10:25 PM
See them all the time on gunbroker for a fair price why buy onre that has damage on it. Al

Ilwil
05-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Several years ago, my ROA locked up; I could not free the cylinder base pin. I sent it to Ruger for whatever repairs they deemed necessary. They returned it two weeks later, repaired with a replaced pawl, new nipples and a new hammer. There was no charge. Ruger sets the gold standard for service a far as I'm concerned. I don't know that they would treat you as generously as they did me, but I bet you would at least get a rejuvenated gun fixed at a very nominal price.

44man
05-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Ruger is the best of the best to help a guy and even fixes screw ups that YOU do. Long ago Ruger bought barrels but then started making their own. Quality went way up.