PDA

View Full Version : Scope and black question

Starvnhuntr
05-09-2014, 11:26 PM
I shot my new c. sharps 45-90 yesterday. I have a new M.V.A. full length dovetail mounted scope mounted on it. I am getting some black powder fouling on the front lens.I admit I forgot to pull the scope back to the right position which made the problem really bad. but it still was a problem after a few shots when I rememberd to do everything correctly. has anyone got advice on putting hoods on the barrel or extensions on the scope. I am sure I am not the first person to run into this problem.

country gent
05-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Not sure if a hood would help or make it worse. The MVA scopes are threaded for the caps so a decent shop could make a short tube with matching male threads on one end and female on the other. Or a plexiglass lense set in it. WOuld still get the fouling but would be at the surface and easy to clean off. Real glass would be better but is much harder to work with and find. Ive never had this issue with my set up but the fron lense of my MVA scope is 2" behind the muzzle also. On my 45-90 hepburn its almost 4" back. Mine is mounted on the bolt on blocks and extended creedmoor mounts.

bigted
05-11-2014, 12:11 PM
as long as your scope end is even or extended over the muzzle ... you will get the fouling on that front lens.

fix would be to move your scope back to the breech end for a starting point with the end of your scope BEHIND the muzzle as far as is possible. if your dove tail is that close to the muzzle ... may have to get a block that mounts behind the existing dove tail so you can move your scope back enough so it is isolated from the blowby of fouling at the muzzle.