PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt gallery loads

Anonym
05-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Played with an idea tonight. Those are 50 caliber balls swaged to .454 and loaded over a light load of Unique powder for plinking with my 45 Colt. The one on the left actually has 2 slugs in it! Seen posts about loading up .454 round balls, but I didn't have any. Make due with what's available!

Anonym
05-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Shot them today. Single ball loads were okay, but seemed to lack the poop to seal the chamber. There was lots of soot and smoke. The double ball was cool though! Pretty quiet and sealed well. Placed two balls a couple inches apart at 20 yards, both penetration the 2x10 board I shot, but one hit the 2x6 prop and just put a dent in it. I was able to recover the slug and it showed good rifling engraving. Needs more powder for good expansion though. These were pure lead and didn't deform much.

Larry Gibson
05-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I suggest using Bullseye instead of Unique powder for such loads if you have it. It will ignite much better. However with gallery loads do not expect the cases to Obturate and seal the chamber. It takes 7 - 9,000 psi to obturate brass cases and with that light load under a light RB it just isn't going to happen. Fire formed cases that still chamber which are minimally NS's are best for such loads. You might TL the RBs with LLA very lightly after sizing to prevent leading. Seating the RB deeper to where the inside case taper starts can also help powder ignition and uniformity of burn.

Larry Gibson

bangerjim
05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Agree with Larry. I do the same thing with PC'd 451 balls. They end up at 452.5 after PCing.

Any light load will be VERY dirty. Use the cleanest powder you can find. Unique sure ain't it!!!!!!!! The stuff is filthy even at full loads. I use TightGroup, BullsEye and am playing with TrailBoss now.

Still, any powder will be kinda dirty and sooty along the sides of the cases due to what Larry said.

But load 'em and shoot 'em! I just wipe off the cases afterwards.

banger

runfiverun
05-10-2014, 01:26 PM
the faster powders will definitely help.
clay's is good and clean so is 700-x.