PDA

View Full Version : help please got a hole

shad
05-09-2014, 11:08 PM
I have a older star and it has a hole in the tube the lube goes in . it doesn't look like it was drilled it looks factory but I know nothing about it

kayak1
05-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Pictures would really help.

ffries61
05-09-2014, 11:47 PM
If it's on the back side of lube tube, about an inch above the bottom section of the casting the tube goes thru, it's supposed to be there, it's a vent hole.Every Star I've seen has it.

Fred

Beagle333
05-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah, it's supposed to be there. 'Apparently to punish you if you overfill the tube, by serving as a nozzle to spray hot lube all over your reloading bench and the wall behind it when you replace the plunger. (if you buy lube by the pound to save money and pour melted lube into the tube, as I do) :roll:

It doesn't take long at all to begin remembering not to do that. ;-)

ReloaderFred
05-10-2014, 11:31 AM
It's a vent hole to relieve the back pressure as the plunger pushes the lube down. Without it, the vacuum created by the plunger being depressed works against the spring and hycar seal.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-20-2014, 08:03 AM
If need be, you can cover the hole with a hose clamp while you're filling, then release as needed to provide for pressure release.

CPL Lou
05-25-2014, 02:07 AM
Yeah, it's supposed to be there. 'Apparently to punish you if you overfill the tube, by serving as a nozzle to spray hot lube all over your reloading bench and the wall behind it when you replace the plunger. (if you buy lube by the pound to save money and pour melted lube into the tube, as I do) :roll:

It doesn't take long at all to begin remembering not to do that. ;-)

DITTO ! :shock:

CPL Lou