PDA

View Full Version : J.C. Higgins Model 88 22cal revolver

atr
05-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Just picked up a nice J.C. Higgins Model 88 22 cal revolver.
aluminum frame, steel cylinder, barrel and working parts.....9 shot revolver,,,double action...6 inch barrel
I was impressed on how smooth the trigger was in both single and double action mode, I was also impressed on how nice and tightly it locks up. It is very light and the grips are supurb,,,
It is basically the Sentinel manufactured by High Standard

this is a neat little revolver that I couldn't pass up:razz:

Mk42gunner
05-10-2014, 12:02 AM
I really wish someone would start making affordable utilitarian guns like the High Standard/ H&R/ Iver Johnson revolvers again.

Sure they weren't high grade guns like S&W or Colt, but they didn't cost an arm and a leg either. A lot of people got their start in the shooting sports because of the lower end manufacturers of yesteryear.

Robert

atr
05-10-2014, 12:49 PM
I took the M88 out along side the K22 for comparison. I am not the greatest pistol shot but was very satisfied with the way the M88 grouped.
M88.....27 rounds 3"x2.25" at 25ft ......(shoots a little high and to the left)
K22.....27 rounds 2.75"x1.75" at 25 ft

all off-hand shooting

Texantothecore
05-10-2014, 01:06 PM
I remember when Sears carried firearms. They were highly regarded.

I would love to see them do this again.

Green Frog
05-10-2014, 03:29 PM
The Gun Control Act of 1968 killed handgun sales by Sears... no sales by mail. Of course the loss of that big market outlet by High Standard hit them pretty hard as well. But now we are all so much safer and gun crime has been reduced so much since that "landmark" piece of legislation that the gun control proponents are totally satisfied and don't want any more legislation... RIIIGGHT! :?

Froggie

Southern Shooter
05-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I have one, too. It is not a pretty gun due to some finish wear on the frame. But, I love it. Very tight. Very accurate. Easy handling. I would not sell or trade it, period. Small varmints don't stand a chance with a variety of rounds. With .22 shot-shells, NO snake within shooting distance is safe.

beezapilot
05-10-2014, 04:23 PM
I had a H&R 950, stainless 9 shot single action when I was a kid- my first pistol. I loved that little .22, it is one of the things I still look for at gun shows- utilitarian .22's are a gem.

johniv
05-10-2014, 05:56 PM
The mod 88 was my first handgun, and I still have it. All of the H-S Sentinels seem to shoot high,
John

Thin Man
05-10-2014, 08:42 PM
A lot of different companies used to market firearms, only to quit for various reasons. J.C. Penney's department stores in our area used to carry Browning firearms, all models. I bought quite a few Brownings from them, at prices that now make me blush. We didn't know how good we had it back at that time.

Thin Man

DLCTEX
05-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I had a HS Sentinel and a double nine. I wish I had never sold them. The sentinel short very well and the double nine was maybe the most accurate pistol I ever had. I have occasionally looked for a double nine on the internet, but the prices cure my nostalgia.