PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Mauser wood

Battis
05-09-2014, 10:42 PM
When I bought the Swedish Mauser, the description on the store tag said that the wood and the barrel ring were not matching (the handguard looks to be a replacement). At the range the other day, a shooter who owns 20 or so Mausers said the only way to know is to take the rifle apart. I took it apart and the handguard has the same serial number as the rest of the gun.
Just curious - would they (whoever "they" are) have stamped a serial number in a replacement handguard?
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/DSCF4826_zpsb98b56ad.jpg

lefty o
05-10-2014, 12:08 AM
the swede's were very thorough, and stamped everything. i believe they stamped replacement parts with the rifles ser#, but dont take my word for it. looking at your pic, its hard to tell(too far away), but it looks as though the handguard could be original to the rifle.

Dutchman
05-10-2014, 12:10 AM
Yes generally replacement handguards were numbered to the rifle.

The coloring of the stock & handguard is just enough off to make me think it's a replacement. Both are beech.

Dutch

Battis
05-10-2014, 01:03 AM
While I had the rifle stripped down, I gave it a good cleaning inside and out, something I should have done before, and now the wood seems to match better. I'll call the handguard a "second generation" instead of a replacement.
What a great shooting rifle.