PDA

View Full Version : Ramshot Competition in .44 Special???

Kermit2
05-09-2014, 08:53 PM
I found some Ramshot Competition at a decent price. Has anyone used it for light .44 special loads using cast boolits? The label says it's useful for cowboy action loads. I checked Ramshot's load data. They show data for .45 Colt loads along with other handgun rounds, but no data for .44 special. Can anyone provide information on this powder with the .44 special? Thanks as always.

DrCaveman
05-11-2014, 03:07 PM
If you look at the western powders/accurate reloading guide you will find a lot more info than the ramshot guide
I've really been liking competition in the 45 acp and lc
Considering that the load density is pretty similar to unique in the big 45 colt case, I'm thinking you should be able to work a 44 spl load
A start (and PLEASE do some homework before loading this) might be around 4 grains under a 200 gr pill

That's basically my 45 acp load, good for about 800-830 fps. The 44 spl might be a little slower, prob great for cowboy action

I've worked up loads from complete scratch in other calibers including 30-30, 30-06, 460 s&w magnum, with no problems but I did a bunch of homework, number crunching, and low work ups

Sounds like a fun project to me, just be cautious. Wish I had a 44, I'd do this experiment alongside you

Kermit2
05-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Dr. Caveman,

Thanks for your reply. I've continued to search the web for info, and bumbled onto a web page published by Ramshot that has cowboy action load data. It shows using a a load of 3.8 grains of Ramshot Competition with a 200 grain boolit in .44 special. That's pretty close to your estimate. I'll likely try that load and go from there. Thanks!

DrCaveman
05-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Thats great. Can you give a link to the ramshot cowboy action data? Despite the low ceiling of velocity, im finding competition to be extremely clean, and quite consistent, even with light loads

Dont tell anyone though, since it's a powder i can still manage to find ;)

DrCaveman
05-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Thats great. Can you give a link to the ramshot cowboy action data? Despite the low ceiling of velocity, im finding competition to be extremely clean, and quite consistent, even with light loads

Dont tell anyone though, since it's a powder i can still manage to find ;)

Kermit2
05-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Dr. Caveman,

Here's your link: http://www3.telus.net/public/kathomas/cowboyaction.php.htm

Hopefully that will work for you. It has several recipes for cowboy action loads using Ramshot powders. I'm not into cowboy action shooting, but I am looking for nice plinking loads just for fun. I haven't used my .44 special a lot, but want to shoot it more and enjoy it. I have other loads worked up for serious social encounters or wildlife fun, and now it's time to work up fun loads. :grin: