PDA

View Full Version : Old Win pump WRF conversion??

Gussy
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I have an old Winny pump .22WRF. Not bad on the outside except for the magazine tube. How hard would it be to convert it to a std .22??

Would a new magazine tube and barrel liner do the job?

Winter you know, to much thinking time.
Gus

kywoodwrkr
01-09-2008, 02:47 PM
There were various differences between the Std 22s and the 22 WRF in the 90-06 Winchesters.
First notable difference is the, what I call, cartridge lifter.
Were it me, I'd opt to reline and rechamber to WRF.
I have an original 22 WRF I bought on a farm sale in 1957 and have another parts gun(to revive) and am finding parts harder and harder to find.
Just one persons opinion.:mrgreen:
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Gussy
01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
It is actually shootable as is except for the magazine tube. Bore is fair but shootable. I just thought I would actually shoot it a lot if it were a std .22.

KCSO
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Gussy
More expense than it would be worth in 22 LR. Barrel relining alone wil run $90 to 140 depending on your area and then you need a new lifter and mag tube ect. I wouldn't recommend it, better to sell yours and buy a LR.

Bret4207
01-09-2008, 06:19 PM
IF you buy the WRF on sale in the bulk packages it's not too bad.

Gussy
01-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Selling the gun is not an option as it was a gift from an old friend, now passed on. I guess I will look into a replacement tube. Just thought a regular tube would be easier to find and a liner an easy fix. Sounds like more than I want to try right now.

Thanks Bret, I will look for bulk packs.

dragonrider
01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I did one some years ago, got all the parts from Gun Parts Inc. or Numrich, whatever they are called now, simple job of remove and replace of barrel, lifter, tube. Was cheap too as I recall. Here is a pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/22s004.jpg
shoots great too.

John Taylor
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Gun parts has replacement barrel for less than a liner job. The carrier can have a piece added for a spacer so the LR won't go in as far, solder or loctite it in. Magazine tube is a little bigger in diameter ( inner tube) than the LR so you might need to get both the inner and outer, both parts at www.wisnersinc.com . The extractor may need some work to hold the smaller rim.

Bret4207
01-10-2008, 09:11 PM
That Wisner guy has a lot of neat stuff.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
The WRF is a fine round. No, it isn't cheap, but it is still available. If the rifling is still strong in the barrel, I wouldn't alter it. I have one, it was the only rifle that my grandfather ever bought new. He worked all summer thrashing wheat and that fall rode the train to St. Louis to purchase his rifle for $12.35. That rifle will still shoot better than I can hold.

Everett

crazy mark
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
That Wisner guy has a lot of neat stuff.
Yes he does and I have stopped by there and plan to stop by again someday soon. Mark

Bent Ramrod
01-11-2008, 01:16 PM
The old press about the WRF not being as accurate as the .22LR should be taken with a half shaker of salt. They are not as accurate as Eley Tenex, but in my limited experience they are as accurate as most any other standard velocity 22LR and more accurate than many HV 22LRs.

I relined a Remington #2 RB with a .226" barrel liner from TJ's and was planning to chamber it short for .22 WRF to use up a partial box of Remington that I had lying around for 20 years, just to see how "inaccurately" it shot compared to .22LR. Then I was going to run the reamer in all the way and try it as a .22 Magnum, then finally rechamber as a centerfire .22 Maynard Extra Long.

By the time I got the job done, I had accumulated a 250-round carton of that Commemorative Winchester stuff they put out from time to time, so had plenty enough to play with; enough to get downright addicted to the round. Then, to my horror, CCI started making runs of the stuff, in hollow-point style, no less!:mrgreen:

The Remington seemed slightly more accurate than the Winchester, which in turn slightly edged the CCI, but all would do between slightly under an inch and an inch and a quarter at 50 yards on a good day for five shots off the bench, iron sights. The standard bullet hits noticeably harder than .22LR hollow points, and the CCI hollowpoint stuff is more destructive than the LR Stingers, Power Points, etc.

I may very likely never rework that chamber job I did, especially now that the ammunition seems to be steadily available. Of course, I have a bunch of .22LR guns already, and, as somebody once said, "Change is Good."

.22WRF costs about as much as .22 RF Magnum. You can buy a lot of .22WRF for the cost of a reline to .22LR; unless you plan to shoot it an enormous amount, you might at least see how it shoots with a box of the new stuff.

James Wisner
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM
We would get the same gun in 30 + years ago when WRF ammo was not available and convert them to 22 Long Rifle.
Boy what a pain in the %^&

Have to line or replace the barrel, replace both magazine tubes as the ID diameter of the outside and the OD of the inside tube are larger than the Long Rifle tubes. Solder a spacer in the carrier so just the Long Rifle ammo would function in the gun. Make sure the side cut in the pulg is there to clear the extractor hook. Have to replace the extractor since the rim diameter and thickness is larger on the WRF. Sometimes would have to weld up the LH side of the bolt face due to the larger cut in it for the larger case rim.

Today I would recommend to reline to WRF and leave it in that Caliber, since ammo is available.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Bret4207
01-12-2008, 10:41 AM
If you're the same Wisner we referenced in the earlier posts I'd like to say a big THANK YOU! Some of the guys like you supplying this stuff sure make our lives a lot more pleasant.

I agree on leaving it in 22 WRF. That bullet is a great small game boolit and the round itself seems to shoot more accurately in many 22 Mags than the longer Mag round does.

crossfireoops
01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
We would get the same gun in 30 + years ago when WRF ammo was not available and convert them to 22 Long Rifle.
Boy what a pain in the %^..............................

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

I'd sure like to thank Mr. Wisner, too.

I'm lookin' at one of his extractor blanks for a Stevens 44 as I peck,........it's as pretty a piece of crisp, sharp edged, well machined rifle jewelry as one could wish for.

Thank you for your efforts in replicating hard to find parts like this, Sir.

GTC

Gussy
01-12-2008, 02:20 PM
As I said, long winter, to much thinking time. I'm going to pull the old beast down off the wall today and take another look. It's been 10-15 years since I have!!

I'm positive it needs a new magazine tube, both in and outter. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Gussy
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, it came down off the wall yesterday. Bore is very rough, still strong rifling and I think it will still shoot. Outer magazine tube has several small dents. Enought to prevent the inner tube from going in easily. There are some repaired stock cracks and chips on one side of the butt stock. From the side I was looking at it didn't appear to have any. Front wood is fine. Action works great and lock up is tight.

I remember working on the magazine tubes when I got it. Straightened them up and got them back together. Figured it was just a wall hanger for memories.

The good part. The inner tube is exactly 3/8". I'll pick up a piece of 3/8" steel rod tomorrow and try to make a dent remover. I don't know how thick or tough the outer tube is. I'll let you know soon!

The inner tube is dented in the same place the outer one is (no surprise there). It's going to be a lot harder to make a dent remover for, but, it is a lot thinner material. I could actually use it as is if I don't load over 5 shells at a time. The bullet follower sticks just enough at the dent to prevent a full load.

I'll be in a good gun store in a week or two. I'll pick up a box of shells and give it a try.