PDA

View Full Version : Herters clamshell dies

Alvin
05-08-2014, 09:00 PM
I was wondering if the herters clamshell swagging bodies use the same die? For example, can a .44 clamshell be used in the die for a .45? If anyone has any .44 dies for sale, or know where I can have one or two made it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

ReloaderFred
05-09-2014, 12:38 AM
I have one that makes a .38 caliber wadcutter, but I haven't used it as of yet. Too many other projects to get done before tackling that one.

Fred

Alvin
05-09-2014, 02:34 AM
I have one that makes a .38 caliber wadcutter, but I haven't used it as of yet. Too many other projects to get done before tackling that one.

Fred
Fred, when you get a chance do you think you measure the clamshell portion? I would need to know the size of them out together without the spring. So maybe the size at the top, and bottom or whatever you think is relevant. Thanks.

nhrifle
05-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Any chance someone could post a pic or two of these clamshell dies?

reed1911
05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
No pics, but IIRC they are dies to swage bullets with the lube grooves in them. So think of a swage die that has a mould cut in half that the slug goes into, then you run it up into the swage die which is tapered and the two halves come together, the spring ejects the clam shells and you have a swaged bullet with lube grooves now.

Alvin
05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
104544Here's a picture for you guys. The clamshell you see on the side is identical to the one inside of the die, and the top portion punches the clamshell and bullet out. Their is a spring that is placed where you see the hole on the clamshell, but I couldn't find the extra one at the moment. These are .44 swag dies, and I believe use the same rods that the swag-o-matic uses. I have a few examples made that I'll post, including hollow points. Let me know if you have any other questions or want additional photos.

nhrifle
05-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for posting the pic. I have had the idea of making a similar contraption for a few years now, but my ideas always seemed like they wouldn't work. One thing I see they did that I hadn't considered was putting a taper on the cavity halves, kind of like a machining collet. Interesting.

Alvin
05-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks for posting the pic. I have had the idea of making a similar contraption for a few years now, but my ideas always seemed like they wouldn't work. One thing I see they did that I hadn't considered was putting a taper on the cavity halves, kind of like a machining collet. Interesting.
I'm assuming you are a machinist or have access to someone who can do the work. One thing after getting these was the thought using a single cavity casting mold and forming it into a swaging die. I'm sure with the proper planning it could be done. If you want to borrow mine to see/try to plan it out let me know. I'd be happy to let you borrow my set to measure and plan out.

MOcaster
05-11-2014, 04:26 PM
These are interesting but I don't really see the point of them. If you are going through the work to swage lead boolits with lube grooves, why not just cast them in the first place? I don't know, it just seems like more work than it is worth for lead boolits.

Pressman
05-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Yes the clamshells are interchangeable in the die body. Be advised that they chip easily and are a royal pain to change.
Ken

shooterg
05-15-2014, 10:03 PM
And it's for sale if i can find it !

reed1911
05-16-2014, 10:10 AM
How much?

shooterg
05-16-2014, 11:32 AM
reed1911, Let me find it in the "junque" room , I'll PM you. May still be 10 lbs. of lead wire the right size in there too, if I didn't melt it into something else. Got it way back with an old Herter's 9 ton swaging press when I was still just thinking about swaging.