PDA

View Full Version : Loose Plunger Tube

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a 1927 Argentine Contract Colt that the plunger tube assembly will not stay in the frame when firing. Any suggestions on repairs that do not envolve silver solder? I do not want to effect the finish.

Thanks,
Everett

Pepe Ray
01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
First you've got to determin where the fault is .
Tube (legs)? or frame (holes)?
Pepe Ray

EMC45
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
My first thiught would be to go in from the other side and try to peen the leg ends.

45 2.1
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Barring an easy fix, use epoxy.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I previously peened the legs inside the frame. This worked for about six monthes but it flew off yesterday during firing. I couldn't believe it, but I found in the 8" tall weeds. I am looking for some suggestions, because I will not get that lucky again.

EMC45
01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe the Argie contract pistol will use the same parts as a current 1911 or clones. Why not get a replacement and keep the original. At least you don't have to worry about getting it off.[smilie=1:

22cf45
01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty certain that the fix is to stake or peen the legs on the inside of the frame. Maybe the legs on yours were too short to do a good job of securing them or sometimes you have to remove a little metal from the frame around the holes in order to be able to reach enough of the legs to do any good.

After relieving the metal around the hole, I use a small hard steel ball against the end of the legs to spread them with a lot of pressure from a pair of vice grips. Crossing my fingers, I've not had one come loose yet, but maybe tomorrow.
Phil

slughammer
01-08-2008, 08:18 PM
As 22cf45 was referring to, make sure the INSIDE of the frame has a small countersink at each of the holes. My springfield was missing these countersinks, once I put them in it gave room for the metal to swell into. I also replaced the tube with a new one, because before I added the countersinks I had restaked the original in the same holes too many times for it to be good anymore.

A 1/4" spherical stone for the dremel will do exactly what you need if your frame is missing the countersinks.

scrapcan
01-09-2008, 01:38 AM
make sure you have someway to keep from crushing the tube while staking. You can make a small form out of something to hold it tight against frame, but not crush it.

Morgan Astorbilt
01-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Brownells sells a pin that goes into the tube to keep from crushing it when you stake it.
Morgan

scrapcan
01-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Morgan,

You are absolutely corrrect. and if buying the plunger tube pin, a person should buy the staking tool also. Or find a good 1911 smith and pay him the litle bit of cash he wants compared to buying th proper tools, it will most likely be cheaper to pay the smith.

Morgan Astorbilt
01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I made my own staking tool out of 1/4" D-2 flat ground stock. It also stakes the front sights.
Morgan

nicholst55
01-09-2008, 01:07 PM
First, buy a new plunger tube from Brownells, Midway, etc. Next, grind a small dimple on the INSIDE of the pin holes in the frame; this allows some metal from the 'legs' of the tube to displace into the dimples, and the tube will stay in place longer.

Test-fit the tube to insure that it sits flat against the frame; correct as needed (remember, file/grind on the least expensive part). Insert a drill rod or something to support the tube and stake it in place. Clean up any excess leg metal inside the frame and you're done.

Wish I had $10 for every one of those I replaced for Uncle Sam. ;)

scrapcan
01-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Everett,

Morgan and Nicholst55 both have the know how and tools to easily do the job. The job is not difficult and the tools are not complex. But it helps for you to see it done with the correct tools and technique, then you can devise a method that will work for you as both of these gentlemen have done. If there is someone with the knowledge and tools on the board that is close to you, maybe they can work out a deal with you. you buy dinner and he fixes the plunger tube and then you get to shoot the bull a bit.

Since there is no info in your profile, where are you so others can help out.