PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything I need to know about a Mossberg 144

C. Latch
05-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Not really asking what they're worth....just tell me about them.

TCLouis
05-10-2014, 09:42 PM
They can be very good shooters.

Mk42gunner
05-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Heavy to carry when hunting, but very accurate.

Be careful about messing with the trigger while the safety is on, they may fire when the safety is released. My best friend had one of the target model Mossbergs when we were kids (30+ years ago), and one time I remember it fired when he took the safety off after pulling the trigger with it on. I do not know for sure which model it was but 144 runs through my mind. Good muzzle discipline is important.

Robert

catboat
05-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Had one in nice condition about 15 years ago for a couple of years (heavy barrel version, walnut stock, about 95% condition). It shot ok, not great. CCI standard velocity punched groups in the 1/2" range at 25 yards. I bought the rifle on the cheap $75. It didn't have a magazine. It took a bit of searching to find a mag or two. I was surprised that they were more than I expected for price. Don't remember the pricing now, but I do remember being "surprised." I bought two mags (7 rounders).

Fit /finish was ok. I classify the 144 as "typical Mossberg." Very functional, not great tolerances. Not svelte. Trigger had a creepy pull-with overtravel, with a trigger itself that was thin/sharp-edged. Every time I pulled the trigger my mind would say something like, "Ok, it went bang, but I want a more positive shooting experience." The Mossberg 144 (LSB?) just didn't float my boat, but was fun to play with. I sold the outfit 1-2 years after I bought it (came with aperature front/rear sights). Didn't hate it. It just didn't capture my fancy.

C. Latch
05-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks, guys.

Not sure if this deal is going to work out yet, but I've long wanted a peep-sighted 'trainer'. This one is a 144 LS, and it'll be a few weeks before I know if the deal will go through. In the meantime, this one has a scope; I found a reasonably priced replacement for the peep sight. Looks like I'll need to learn more about the trigger as I'll hate it if I can't make the trigger smoother.

What I really wanted was a Remington 341-P (sentimental reasons) but they're hard to find; a 'trainer' was my second choice. I'll see how this one goes.

TCLouis
05-11-2014, 11:45 PM
As I remember it, the proper peep sight for that rifle is probably a good part of the value/price.

Could be wrong on that, I get the 44 and 144 confused most of the time.

curator
05-13-2014, 10:19 PM
These were available from the DCM (now CMP) for sale to rifle clubs and Boy Scout camps in the 60s and 70s. I bought my Mossberg 144LLS in 1962 and used it for serious 4-position small bore practice in High School and College rifle team shooting. They can be very accurate but ammo sensitive. Shooting high velocity stuff does not give the best accuracy and sometimes will be difficult to extract. Mine and the several others at the various Scout Camps I have encountered gave the best performance with good quality "standard velocity" ammo. A rim gauge and careful sorting by weight can cut groups in half. I put a 18X scope on mine and shot several "one-hole" groups (5 shots) from the bench rest at 50 yards shooting Eley 10X ammo (unsorted). Remington "white box" std-vel would do 3/8" groups. This from a gun that has probably had 100K+ rounds through it.

Mausermeister
05-17-2014, 01:19 PM
I picked up 5 Mossberg 144 barreled receivers at the CMP south store yesterday. I've already got the parts to put 2 back together. For the others, a couple of other rifles will become donors for most of the parts which were shared between the models. Just need a couple of stocks and a few parts which are specific to the 144.

Bill in Ky
05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine gave me a 144 barrel and I put it on my 1022, its a real shooter!!!

fecmech
05-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Trigger had a heavy pull, with a trigger that was thin/sharp-edged,

Didn't those have adjustable triggers on them?? I had a 142A (fold down tommygun style fore end) and it had an adjustable trigger on it. I thought the trainer/target styles all had them.

Mausermeister
05-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Didn't those have adjustable triggers on them?? I had a 142A (fold down tommygun style fore end) and it had an adjustable trigger on it. I thought the trainer/target styles all had them.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't be telling people that. I've got a couple of good deals because folks either did not know how to adjust the trigger or the little spring cup and plunger was full of dirt.

C. Latch
05-18-2014, 06:10 PM
So....<quietly>....does this mean that the 144's trigger should be adjustable?

Mausermeister
05-18-2014, 08:10 PM
All you ever wanted to know about Mossberg 22 rifles, but were afraid to ask... (http://home.epix.net/~damguy/)

C. Latch
05-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Wow. THAT diagram will come in very useful, methinks.

Mausermeister
05-19-2014, 10:02 AM
I fixed the link above the picture in my previous post.

Wayne Dobbs
05-27-2014, 11:48 AM
I have one that I've had nearly 40 years (pawn shop find). It loves the old Winchester Dynapoint load and has killed a boatload of starlings, rabbits, sparrows, etc. over the years and some at distances I can't believe. Thanks for the trigger adjustment tip!

C. Latch
06-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Well, the rifle is mine now.

The only ammo I've shot in it (from a rest, anyay) is Federal #510. At 50 yards the first 4 shots went into 3/8" and I was getting excited. The next two blew out to an inch. I don't think I pulled them.

I figured out the trigger adjustments - figured out that the larger adjustment was superfluous and backed it completely out, then reworked the spring on the little plunger in the actual trigger. The trigger is now quite crisp and light. This rifle does not have the original peep, but I found that Havlin had them for $65 so I'll probably grab one - when I buy an ejector to replace the broken left-side ejector. The rifle still functions, but would function better with both ejectors working properly. The magazine itself is a thing of beauty. It's no surprise that they're hard to find now.

The rifle came with an inexpensive 3-9 scope and I'll leave that on until I get a feel for its potential, then I hope to switch to the peep sight. It has the original (?) leather sling, swivels, and hand-stop. The metal is well-used but overall not bad; the bore is shiny, the wood is downright nice. All things considered, I'm tickled with it. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

fox.45
02-23-2019, 01:13 AM
question???
What does lead lapped barrels mean?
I have a 144 and a144us , do they have the lead lapped barrels?

SvenLindquist
02-23-2019, 04:38 AM
Lead lapping is a method where a lead slug is cast on a rod in the barrel blank. Abrasive is applied to the slug (lap) and run back and forth to smooth/polish the bore. When done, each end of the blank is cut off to remove the "belling" caused by the lap exiting/re-entering the barrel to be served w/more abrasive. The blank is then turned to spec, chambered and crowned. Pretty much gone away as cut rifling has too.

My 144, the final commercial model, is a tack driving rifle. Once I have my 30 days in, it will be available as I found a standard weight WRA 52 that is easier to tote.

https://i.imgur.com/1JpKJ7n.jpg

MostlyLeverGuns
02-23-2019, 10:27 AM
I have Mossberg 22's, 46b-B's, 146's, a 144 and a 44 - the 44/144 are magazine fed, the 46/146 are tube feed. I have found these older 'heavier?' Mossberg's very accurate. The trigger can be adjusted slightly. Disassembly is not difficult, a careful stoning with a very fine ceramic stone to smooth/polish the trigger/sear engagement surface can make a substantial difference. No changing angles or reducing surface engagement area necessary.