PDA

View Full Version : coonan 357 reloads?????

Groo
05-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Groo here
I have a Compact coming and am trying to hunt up some data.
All I can get is "full power" loads.
and crono data is like hens teeth.
Any one got one / maybe crono 125gr rem express sjhp loads? [the flame throwers !]

SOFMatchstaff
05-09-2014, 12:33 AM
I have a few of them, the Cadet is a real boomer with slow powders, it likes the Bluedot loads both 158gr lead or jacketed.
any chrono data that is taken from a 4" revolver is going to be low compared to what you can expect from the Coonans. both 5" and 4" barrelsmake the 357 perform up to its real potential.
I dont have data for the factory stuff, dont shoot it, against my religion, but 1450fps plus is not out of reach in the 5" and the 4" isn't far behind.

I've just about completed my downloading project to shoot 38 spec plus P for dinging steel, soft load, no muzzle blast, accurate. 10lb spring and a well lubed gun( Coonans need the rails well greased with the proper stuff) Feels about like shooting a M52 Smith ... You wont be dis-appointed, I've shot stuff in the Coonans that locked up a M28 Smith... Not a steady diet mind you, just a happy observation.

I really ticked off a friend of mine when he asked "whats that?"...Coonan,, "lemme try it" OK,, HE shot his steel targets, dinged the chhiitt out of them, blamed ME, had to weld up his babies,,,,whine.... giggle and guffhaw . You will like the Coonan, and probably go on the send for the 5"..

Groo
05-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Groo here
Thanks muchly.
After a pound of bluedot and such I quit.
I have 296/H110-AA7-AA9and a little WW680/AA1680.
Also 125-158gr bullets, some plated , and 45 2.1's 145gr hp boolet.
Suggestions for the first 200 to "Burn it in"?

SOFMatchstaff
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Well, if your just after flash and boom, you got every thing you need on the list.
I assumed you dont have the Coonan yet, ?? .. the Bluedot load is working well in mine,
with enough testing you will settle it in and probably find a sweet spot in the works.
I dont use the plated in the top end loads, not recommended by the Manuf, and they dont deliver the accuracy
at those levels, works well under the 1150 to1200 range and in the 38 loadings.