PDA

View Full Version : Question about brass and scratches and dings

FISH4BUGS
05-08-2014, 09:29 AM
I guess there used to be a reloading section but I can't find it now. Maybe this is the place to post this question?
I had some 2000 Cavim 90 and 91 308 brass (THANKS JOHN!) and processed them over the winter. I shot a reloaded bunch over the weekend and the now twice fired brass has small lengthwise scratches on the necks and a ding in the side from the brass deflector. The gun was a Bushmaster (Windham) ORC.
The gun shot well and is surprisingly accurate. I could hit a 12" steel plate at 200 yds with boring regularity.
I am wondering about the brass. What is causing the scratches on the neck. Will the ding in the brass case (about mid case) shorten the life of the brass over time? My guess is that it will expand out the next firing, and get a new ding somehere else....but better to ask.
Thanks for the help.

ReloaderFred
05-08-2014, 10:50 AM
The small ding will iron out with the next firing. The scratches on the neck are probably caused by debris in the neck of the chamber, or a burr, which is unlikely. Give the chamber a good cleaning and see if that clears it up.

Hope this helps.

Fred

nicholst55
05-08-2014, 11:19 AM
As you suspect, the dents and dings will blow back out the next time that piece of brass is fired. Will it harm anything? Since you're shooting it in a gas gun, you'll probably have to discard the brass for other reasons before the dents and dings have achance to cause other problems. Brass used in gas guns is normally discarded after four loads, before you start experiencing case head separations.

The scratches? Hard to say, but possibly caused by either the magazine lips or feed ramp. You could coat the feed ramp with Dykem (or a sharpie) and feed a couple of dummy rounds, then see where the marker is worn off and polish that area. The magazine feed lips can be smoothed with sandpaper to reduce or eliminate the scratches.

Ford SD
05-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I guess there used to be a reloading section but I can't find it now. Maybe this is the place to post this question?
I had some 2000 Cavim 90 and 91 308 brass (THANKS JOHN!) and processed them over the winter. I shot a reloaded bunch over the weekend and the now twice fired brass has small lengthwise scratches on the necks and a ding in the side from the brass deflector. The gun was a Bushmaster (Windham) ORC.
The gun shot well and is surprisingly accurate. I could hit a 12" steel plate at 200 yds with boring regularity.
I am wondering about the brass. What is causing the scratches on the neck. Will the ding in the brass case (about mid case) shorten the life of the brass over time? My guess is that it will expand out the next firing, and get a new ding somehere else....but better to ask.
Thanks for the help.

The last ar barrel I bought the barrel extension had a sharp edge (had)

when I rubbed the back of a finger nail on it it scratched it ( feed ramps ) I did a little polishing by hand 400/600 grit and stopped when it did not scratch any more
and cleaned it real good before installing

Scratches on brass can also be from the mag feed lips

Dings on brass if a soft ding just resize if it comes to a sharp (line) point i toss

Smoke4320
05-08-2014, 12:10 PM
"The scratches? Hard to say, but possibly caused by either the magazine lips or feed ramp. You could coat the feed ramp with Dykem (or a sharpie) and feed a couple of dummy rounds, then see where the marker is worn off and polish that area. The magazine feed lips can be smoothed with sandpaper to reduce or eliminate the scratches."
dead on advice
dents will be removed and then replaced on next firing..(old ones blown back out to fit chamber then new ones added when they hit the deflector)
You can add a layer or two of Velcro glued to the deflector and lessen or stop all the denting