PDA

View Full Version : Lee pot arrived (yay).

dikman
05-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Now the mods begin. First thing I noticed is that when the metal knob is screwed on it doesn't tighten up to the bracket and wobbles around everywhere (no nut to tighten up the mounting screw). So I fitted a short length of metal tube over the bolt and tightened up the knob against it. Easily fixed.

Looking at the design of the rod that plugs the nozzle, the thread on the top is too short. I want to fit a handle/knob to it (so I won't need a screwdriver to adjust it) and also fit a spring so that there is spring pressure pushing down on the shaft. I'll probably have to fit an extension piece to the top of the shaft for the handle. Haven't looked into how to fit a spring yet.

The first thing, however, is to make a new base and rear supports (similar to OpenNRG's, thanks for the idea, mate - brilliant) so that I can fit a full-size shelf to slide the molds on. I like to slide my molds in from the left, it's a bit hard to do with that support post in the way! It won't be as neat as NRG's because I'll be using what I have lying around - aluminium base plate and shelf, 1/2" threaded rod and welded steel bar for the pot support. I'll have to drill and tap the rods so that they can be attached by screws from under the base plate (not thick enough to tap into).

The hole left by removing the front upright should be a good place to attach the thermo-couple for the PID (of which I happen to have a spare).

And finally I'll have to make a lid of some sort (probably more aluminium sheet).

:bigsmyl2:

JASON4X4
05-08-2014, 06:06 PM
You will love it once you upgrade it I used valve lapping compound on my rod to make sure it seated

mizzouri1
05-08-2014, 08:15 PM
pictures!! we need pictures!! [smilie=s:

dikman
05-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I'll have to take a couple when it's finished. Whilst the quality isn't up to that of my Pro-Melt, for what it is it's actually very good. Considering the price in the US, they're dirt cheap for what you get. A bit of time and effort should turn it into a nice pot.