PDA

View Full Version : Scored!! Win 94 posty

Geezer in NH
05-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Found a Winchester post 64 30/30 for $275. older no cross bolt safety (if they had one), slight pin pick pitting on action, excellent bore. I have been wanting a boolit gun for the 30/30 without Microgroove rifling.

I have only owned a Marlin in this caliber that was my fathers. It had many problems as it miss fired 1/2 the time with reloads. My nephews guns never did that. He left it to my son who got fed up and traded even for a stainless mini-30.

However I watched the history channel on Tom Horn this weekend and felt the need for a 94 in 30/30. I will strip the bore and get dies again and some new brass, I have a Lyman mold for the 170 grain flat nose GC and will cast some in the next week or so.

Gun only has open sights, should I get a Lyman receiver or a tang for it? The open sight slot will be filled either way.

TIA

OverMax
05-08-2014, 03:42 AM
IMO: Williams Foolproof is the better of the two when its comes to a receiver mounted site. More compact and less tendency to snag your case liner or anything else as its edges were purposely factory beveled along with having surface height adjusting screws. Some members here on this C/B site prefer a tang site. I never have. It's just a matter of preference is all. A decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Tatume
05-08-2014, 06:51 AM
My opinion is just the opposite, the older steel Lyman receiver sight is more compact, and looks better. However, I've gotten away from both, as I now use and recommend the XS Sights sight kits. Although I haven't tried one yet, the Skinner sights appear to be fabulous!

http://www.xssights.com/

http://www.skinnersights.com/

lar45
05-08-2014, 06:51 AM
For cleaning the bore, I've found that Ed's Red works great.
I used to use Hoppes no9 all the time, but made up a batch of Ed's Red just to try it. I was cleaning the barrel of my 35 Whelen and used Hoppes until the patches were comeing out clean, then on a whim tried a patch of Ed's and it came out very dirty. I then ran a couple of dry patches and then a wet one of no9, it came out clean. I ran another with Ed's and it came out dirty again.
I was very surprised at the huge difference in cleaning the barrel. Now I use Ed's Red for everything.

Scharfschuetze
05-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Model 64 or Model 94? Title and subject are at odds!

Whichever rear sight that you decide on, it should have repeatable adjustments and also return to its base zero without error. Unfortunately, you probably won't know that until you get it on your rifle and test it out! If you are lucky enough to find the old Redfield receiver sight it has proven to be one of the best for me. The Lyman has also proven to be a good choice and my Pre 64 Model 64 is currently home to the Lyman Model 66 sight.

By the way, I almost bought a Post 63 Model 64 in 30/30 a few months ago it was going for $400 so it sounds like you got a good deal on yours.

At any rate, congrats on the 64. They really are nice shooters.

Tatume
05-08-2014, 02:28 PM
There is no need for repeatable sight adjustments on a lever action 30/30 Winchester rifle intended for hunting. Set the sights and leave it. My Uncle Junior's Model 94 had the sights set before I was born. It still shoots to point of aim, and my younger brother kills deer with it frequently.

smkummer
05-08-2014, 02:45 PM
I have a 1962 94 in 30-30. I load Lyman's 311291 170 gr. gas check with a little over 10 grains unique for about 1500 FPS. This duplicates the old 32-40 ballistics, is light on the shoulder, cheap as heck to load and with the original rear sight on the second to last setting, I can hit a 16" metal plate at 200 yards. Although the front bead sight completely covers the target at 200 yards, I don't want to change the front or rear sights as they work as a fast hunting sight.

nhrifle
05-08-2014, 05:44 PM
To me, a tang sight looks right with the lines of the Model 94, but for shooting I definitely prefer a receiver sight and something the brighten the front sight post. Congrats on the new rifle!

Geezer in NH
05-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Model 64 or Model 94? Title and subject are at odds!

Whichever rear sight that you decide on, it should have repeatable adjustments and also return to its base zero without error. Unfortunately, you probably won't know that until you get it on your rifle and test it out! If you are lucky enough to find the old Redfield receiver sight it has proven to be one of the best for me. The Lyman has also proven to be a good choice and my Pre 64 Model 64 is currently home to the Lyman Model 66 sight.

By the way, I almost bought a Post 63 Model 64 in 30/30 a few months ago it was going for $400 so it sounds like you got a good deal on yours.

At any rate, congrats on the 64. They really are nice shooters.

Typo M1894

Geezer in NH
05-08-2014, 05:58 PM
I have a Foolproof on my Marlin 45/70, I am looking for a faster to change elevation on this one so I am leaning to Lyman receiver instead along with a fire sight front Thanks all.

reddnekked
05-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Sight selection depends on your intended use. I shoot Lever Action Silhouette with my 94 and I use the Williams FP with target adjustments. For hunting I think the Skinner, or similar, sights would work well. If you put the Williams Receiver on the rifle you might need to change the front sight too.

I have a tang on my .45 Colt rifle - it looks great, but I shoot (read that as "hit what I'm aiming at") the receiver sight better.

170gr rnfp and IMR3031 are the winners for me. I cast some, but I'm new at casting, so I bought some from Oregon Trail - they working fine so far.

M

PS: I use Bore Kote - it might help fill in the pin holes.

Scharfschuetze
05-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Sight selection depends on your intended use. I shoot Lever Action Silhouette with my 94 and I use the Williams FP with target adjustments. For hunting I think the Skinner, or similar, sights would work well. If you put the Williams Receiver on the rifle you might need to change the front sight too.

Quite correct. If you plan to use your new 94 for more than just one load then by all means go with something you can lock down. If you plan to try different bullets or boolits of different weights and at different velocities then you'll soon find yourself frustrated with a sight that can't conveniently adjust to the various zeros needed (deflection and elevation), not only for your loads, but also for the various distances you may shoot at. I routinely use my lever guns with different projectiles (cast and jacketed, 115 grain to 170 grain) and shoot targets at what many consider bolt action ranges. A good adjustable aperture sight will allow you to enjoy the full capability of your new 94 for either target shooting, plinking or hunting.

With repeatable settings on the sight, you can log your sight setting for each different load and return to it when you shoot that load again. The sights discussed above all make their adjustments in minutes of angle, so if you know the trajectory of your load, you can then compute the MOA needed at any range within the capability of your sight's elevation scale, dial in the adjustment and if your range estimation is correct, hit your target. Silhouette shooting comes to mind for this capability, but plinking out in the field or desert is enhanced with this capability.

snaketail
05-09-2014, 01:57 PM
+1 for Oregon Trail Boolits. They have silver in them and I can hear the William Tell overture playing when I shoot 'em.
My 94 has pre-drilled holes for the Williams sight - you'll have to tap and drill for a tang sight
Bore-Kote sure makes clean up go faster. Don't know if it helps accuracy, but it doesn't hurt the accuracy of my rifle.

JHeath
05-11-2014, 01:08 AM
However I watched the history channel on Tom Horn this weekend and felt the need for a 94 in 30/30.
TIA

From what I've heard, Tom Horn was a better advertisement for rope than for Winchesters. My grandfather's first horse came from Tom Horn's herd, in the possession of a horse trader after TH deceased.

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Congrats on your 94, I wouldn't be without at least one even though the issue sights are problematic for middle-aged eyes. It seems all of my Winchesters that actually see range or field time have peep sights; receiver or tang sights or inserts or even the Marble rear peep sight.