PDA

View Full Version : What should I get to load .45-70?

samwithacolt
05-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Will be buying a Marlin CB in .45-70 in the next few days if all goes to plan.
I hope to shoot a plinking load of Unique and a hunting load with a medium rifle powder.
So I need dies. I'm thinking partial size with a FL die, just as far as the boolit seats?
Do I need to crimp too?(just the hunting load?)
I hate case trimming, I'd rather buy a factory crimp die than have to uniform my brass for a roll crimp.
I like Lee dies, any reason not to get them in .45-70?
Mold- I'm thinking lee plain base 405 gr.
Is there any need to gas check a well fitting boolit doing 1800 ish?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

MtGun44
05-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Why partial sizing? FL sizing is just fine. Crimping is a good idea
for a round that will be run through the magazine and subjected to
recoil loads. Trimming is required for safety. If you do not trim ,you
may get away with it longer with a rimmed, straight case, but eventually
you will have the case neck jammed into the end of the chamber and
the boolit cannot be released - KA-BOOM. Proper case length
is not optional.

GC's are not necessary for lower velocities, but do help consistency
towards the higher end. I never use GCs in pistols, pretty much
always use them in rifles. Lee dies are OK. I am a big fan of
Hornady dies, really like the inline seating with the floating sleeve
to get straight ammo.

Bill

05-08-2014, 12:47 AM
First off, case length trimming is a safety item. Don't have to trim every cycle, but if you load a long one, there is the possibility of creating a dangerous situation. Lee makes a zip trimmer that does the job cheaply and easily.

To your main question, kind of depends on the volume you intend shoot. The Lee Loader (hammer whacker) does a fine job for very little cost. Although I have a press and dies, frequently when I'm doing 20 / 30 rounds, I'll use the Lee Loader. It's quick, easy and produces ammo as good as any press & die set up. Do a search here at Castboolits for junior1942 and his article on the Lee Loader and his .45-70.

For tube mag gun, I'd crimp. Light crimp will do just fine and the Lee Factory Crimp is a good way to go.

Lee dies for the .45-70 are fine dies and don't cost as much as some others. I wouldn't hesitate.

Good luck and enjoy that Marlin. :)

samwithacolt
05-08-2014, 01:35 AM
I should have explained myself better. I have been loading for years, I know about case length, I was referring to uniforming cases so they can be roll crimped evenly. I roll crimp my .32 ws, it's a pain to trim them all even with the zip trim. I will probably get a set of lee dies and a FC die.

MT Chambers
05-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Those cases will prolly never need trimming and all loads should have a solid crimp, don't cheap out on the dies, get a Redding die set or better yet Redding bushing dies that allow you to dictate exactly how much case neck tension you need, which is even more important then crimping. Keep cases separate and note the diff. loads in diff. cases as there is a big diff. in capacities between the different makes. A Lyman or RCBS 405 gr. flat point, plain base mold would be a good place to start.

BIGRED
05-09-2014, 08:03 AM
I just started with 45-70 also. Great, fun caliber for cast. I choose the RCBS cowboy die set. Great dies and they do a great job expanding case mouth like an m-die.I seat and crimp in one operation but may add a 4 th die for crimp only. I use a good heavy crimp in my 1895. I am using unique for light loads, blue dot for medium 1300fps loads and Imr4895 for the stiffer loads. I choose the rcbs 405fngc mold. Great mold and highly recommended by slot of 45-70 owner's. I powder coat all bullets and only powder check my stiff loads. I use range scrap or 50/50 with a bhn of 10 and get really good expansion and accuracy. I wanted a bullet that would expand some as I don't need 4-6 feet of penetration in my Florida critters.

Green Frog
05-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I was going to jump in here with advice when I saw the title since I've loaded a bunch of 45-70 with both BP and smokeless, but always for Winchester high walls, so the only crimping concern I have had was to get consistent ignition. I've done just enough to remove the mouth belling and keep the bullet from being able to fall out. ;)

Froggie

seaboltm
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I load 45-70 with Lee dies. They work great. I use the Lee case trimmer set up in a drill, which is very fast. I can load cut 40 45-70 brass in minutes.

samwithacolt
05-10-2014, 12:47 AM
I got a crimp die and a sizing die today, going to a gunshow tommorrow. A local store has RCBS dies and Winchester brass, just need a mold now(and a gun!).

bbqncigars
05-10-2014, 06:57 PM
I feed my Marlin CB via Lee dies + FCD in my Hornady AP. I usually shoot 10.5gr Unique behind a 405pb boolit. Under two inches at 100yds with irons makes me happy with that light a load.

samwithacolt
05-10-2014, 07:27 PM
My buddy picked me up some brass and RCBS dies today, and I ordered a 405gr mold from Titan Reloading. I should be shooting it all in 2-3 weeks.

Zim
05-10-2014, 10:47 PM
You mention plinking load and then say 1800 fps. 1800 fps with a 405 gr projectile is decent. For plinking, I drop down to Trap door loads. Think closer to 1400 fps with same weight bullet. These will put a smile on your face. 1800 fps - not so much. My serious loads are close to 1800 fps and work great. I like being able to hit what I point at and am overcoming a flinch again. Funny how that works.

Enjoy your Marlin - they are sweet!

Zim
05-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Meant to mention. Stay away from the Hornady Leverution brass. It is shorter than normal and may cause issues. I've never used it, but search and you will see.

EDG
05-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I have about every die there is to load a 45-70 including the Lees.
All of them work but some of them stink even if they can be made to work.
I like RCBS and Redding sizers however a Lee sizer basically has the same internal dimensions as the modern RCBS dies(closed top sizer with no bushing for the decapper). However Lee has a decapper than I do not like.

I like RCBS Cowboy, Lyman M die for 45 rifle and Redding expanders in about that order.
The Lee factory expander is dead dog sorry. However Track of the Wolf makes multiple sizes of expanders that fit the Lee 45-70 expander die body and they work really pretty well.

The very best seater is the mega-buck Redding Competition seater. The worst is the Lee. Short bullets can tip over in the Lee if the case is not well expanded and you will crush a bullet and a case. Neither are cheap.
Runner up to the Redding Competition seater is the standard Redding and the standard RCBS Cowboy.

The Lee factory crimp die is by far the best crimper

Miscellaneous

Redding makes a "neck sizer" die for the 45-70 also.

There are at least 3 different internal profiles in dies that I have used.

The early 70s RCBS has a long neck sizing section and the body is sized to meet the neck without a shoulder or step. (I call these the open top dies)

Later RCBS and Lee have a long neck sizing section with a little bit of shoulder leaving the body of the case a little larger.

Reddings have a short neck sizing section that leaves a more pronounced shoulder. You might make sure you do not have gas checks that can come off in cases sized by the Reddings. The Redding neck sizer does not touch the body but also has the same short neck sizing section.

None of this might make any sense until you compare all the dies while looking at a white piece of paper.