PDA

View Full Version : Carcano Reciever sight?

Bored1
05-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Anyone know of a receiver sight that will fit a 6.5 carcano carbine? Picked up a carcano and the original sights leave A LOT to be desired! Any help is greatly apreciated!

Anyone know if the rear sight base on the carcanos is removable while I am at it? Appears that there is a screw though the base abou thte barrel, but not sure what it is for?

texassako
05-07-2014, 11:03 PM
The base will come off. The screw sits in a groove in the barrel, and unscrewing it is the easiest part of getting that sucker off. I have one with a receiver sight that is mounted on the right side ahead of the bolt. It is unmarked or I would let you know what it was really for. Someone once said it was a cheap, generic sight Numrich used to carry. It is not as good as a true peep sight at the rear of the receiver, but it is better than the stock sight.

junkbug
05-07-2014, 11:14 PM
The solution Texassako has pictured may be the only practical one. If you look at the rear of a Carcano receiver, it is split so the bolt can go through it. No centrally mounting a peep sight there.

Bored1
05-07-2014, 11:23 PM
That is pretty much what I am looking for!!!!

Now if only we knew who made it or where to get it. Numrich's site is hard to find stuff on sometimes.

texassako
05-07-2014, 11:43 PM
I forgot to mention the rifle came with it already installed, or I would probably know what it was and where it came from.

Bored1
05-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Did that rifle come with the scope already mounted also?

texassako
05-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Yes, it is an old Mossberg side mount for a .22 rifle. It has actually held up pretty well.

madsenshooter
05-08-2014, 05:27 PM
If you can find a copy of Frank DeHass' Bolt Action Rifles, there is info on receiver dimensions, or TXsako could measure his, find a Lyman or Redfield sight that goes on something dimensionally close, you'll be in business, with a little drilling and tapping. I'd mount it on the left, and get one with target knobs, easy adjustment.

I found DeHass' book online here: http://books.google.com/books?id=tuVUMLRE47UC&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=carcano+receiver+diameter&source=bl&ots=tIKzB0nhzE&sig=zrBr9gJrS9n0eFi0zXZLerk9MQA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_PZrU83oCaGGyAGamoCABg&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=carcano%20receiver%20diameter&f=false

A quick look says one for a Remington 700 ought to work, difference of only .015.

Bored1
05-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Well thanks a ton!!! Gonna start looking into that now!!!!

Frank46
05-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Two other options. Williams guide barrel mounted rear sight. Or an old lyman 36 that will mount on the receiver on the left hand side. But word of caution the lyman 36 isn't being made anymore and has not for some years. And are very pricey when you find one. If I remember right the top part swivels when the bolt contacts it and then returns to its origional position. Frank

Bored1
05-08-2014, 11:59 PM
I guess it's going to boil down to what I can find reasonably! Thanks for those ideas also Frank! Always nice to get new information.

Now just to find someone who has one sitting in that coffee can on the shelf they don't need!