PDA

View Full Version : .223 dies?

rpludwig
05-07-2014, 06:09 PM
New to reloading .223 (been handgun only for many years, rifle calibers prior), always favored RCBS dies, but seeing funky reviews (Midway) on the RCBS .223 dies, i.e. seater die is ****, don't size military brass, etc.

That said, what dies do you guys favor for .223 (this is for a bolt action, not an AR platform).

Follow-up question, what do you favor these days for lubing cases, again, been handgun only for years with carbide dies, so last messed with case lube some 30 years ago...anything new, recommended other than the sticky lube on a pad method?

Thx in advance!

Zymurgy50
05-07-2014, 07:07 PM
RCBS dies are top quality, never had a problem with any of mine.

As for case lube, now you can buy aerosol cans of case lube from different manufactures, or buy anhydrous lanolin and isopropyl alcohol and make your own... Spray a box full of cases, rattle them around a bit and go...

histed
05-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Been using RCBS dies for .223 for over 20 years - never a problem. If you don't trust them, look at Lyman. Unlike some of the posters here. I happen to like Lee dies - good price and I've never had problems. For lube, I'm still using the RCBS lube I bought years back. Lota loaders like the spry, but I've yet to try it

Groovy
05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
CH 223 3 die set (resize, seater, crimp) & Forster Bench Rest for bolt gun. Forster has the least runout.

357shooter
05-07-2014, 08:08 PM
I like the Lee rifle dies and the Dillon rapid trim just fine for 223/556, but I'm not a bench rest guru or long range expert. I load on progressive for an AR (so I crimp) and 99.5% of my shooting is less than 100 yards. That's probably not all that helpful if you are using a single stage, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

As far as lube, the Dillon spray is awesome, an improvement from the old lube pad. I use Hornady One Shot on my bullets (jacketed), mostly because I have some left over. I find it helps seat the bullets easier and more consistently. I hope that's helpful.

lightman
05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
I use a Redding FL sizer and a Redding competition seater in my 223. There is really no wrong choice. The other RCBS, Lyman, C-H, ect that I have all work fine. I do think that the straight line seaters are worth the cost, which ever brand that you choose.

I have been using the spray Dillon lube and like it. You have to shake it real good, and let it dry for a minute or two before sizing. I also found that I get fewer lube dents if I wipe the neck/shoulder area off with a rag. Lightman

seaboltm
05-07-2014, 09:42 PM
I have made sure to use RCBS small base dies with 223 and 308. Semi autos(and more so autos) are a bit brutal on brass as in many instances the brass case begins to be extracted before full chamber pressure has gone to zero. Not a problem with bolts, single shots, pumps, etc.

When doing military brass for the first time (deprimed, primer pocket swaged) I size them twice. Easy to do. Push the lubed brass into the die, retract. Wait a couple of seconds for spring effect, do it again. I have never had a problem with RCBS small base dies with that routine. With standard base dies, well, hell, that's why I went to small base dies :)

Garyshome
05-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I use Lee dies... no problems. Anhydrous lanolin and HEET for case lube.

bangerjim
05-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Lee 223 dies with NO problems! Also 30 cal. Good prices, excellent performance.

I shoot only bolt actions.

I use Unique case lube with great success. A little goes a loooooooooong ways!

banger

hd09
05-08-2014, 07:05 AM
I like the old RCBS dies better back in the 60s and 70s but the newer ones are good. Had good luck with Lyman too. Imperial sizing wax works best for me.

dragon813gt
05-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Most of my dies are Lee. W/ the exception of ones they don't make, like small base and M dies. They work just fine and don't break the bank. I use Mink Oil for sizing. It's cheap, lasts a looooooong time and can be bought everywhere.

Bayou52
05-08-2014, 08:07 AM
New to reloading .223 (been handgun only for many years, rifle calibers prior), always favored RCBS dies, but seeing funky reviews (Midway) on the RCBS .223 dies, i.e. seater die is ****, don't size military brass, etc.

That said, what dies do you guys favor for .223 (this is for a bolt action, not an AR platform).

Follow-up question, what do you favor these days for lubing cases, again, been handgun only for years with carbide dies, so last messed with case lube some 30 years ago...anything new, recommended other than the sticky lube on a pad method?

Thx in advance!

I go out of my way to purchase RCBS products due to their stellar customer service. If you're having any issues with their products, csll them and they will make it right.

I have both RCBS regular and small base dies in 223. No issues whatsoever.

For lube, I use Imperial Sizing Wax and Hornady Unique sizing wax. Both are top of the mark.

Cmm_3940
05-08-2014, 08:47 AM
My .223 dies happen to be Redding, but I would not hesitate to buy RCBS dies if they were a better deal. I own RCBS dies in other calibers and they are very high quality. I would not be too concerned by comments by some tacticool doofuses (doofi?) saying they 'won't resize military brass'. Brass doesn't magically get springier based on what brand of dies you own.

EDIT: case lube.. I like the Dillon squirt stuff, which, as far as I can tell, is lanolin and isopropyl.

rpludwig
05-08-2014, 09:01 AM
great advice guys...for the most part, my stuff is green, and all dies on hand are RCBS (other than some old Herters dies), so I'll likely stick with RCBS based on past experience and their customer service.

further....what's the point with regular and small base .223 dies? I assume, military brass needs small base dies? If so will small base dies work with commercial .223 brass?

and...as I recall, back when I loaded .243 for a model 70, I could get by with neck sizing only (or partial resizing) to extend brass life. I assume the same still holds true for .223, since I'm only reloading for one particular weapon/chamber?

Thx again!

singleshot
05-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, you can neck size. It will produce more accurate ammo that way. I have 1 rifle that I shoot paper patched in, that I don't resize brass at all. After firing, the new pp'd boolit will fit snuggly right back into the neck. I only have to pop out the old primer and install a new one, fill with powder and insert the new projectile. I may eventually have to resize, but after 3-5 firings, no brass yet needs it.

sirgknight
05-08-2014, 09:14 AM
As you are reading, any of the modern dies are great dies. The pocket book and personal preference plays a part in decision. Because of my very limited budget when I first started reloading metallic, I started out buying Lee dies and haven't stopped since. They have performed well for me. Being a little "old fashioned" and based on my personal experience, I lube all of my casings with either RCBS case lube or STP on a pad. Knock on wood, I have never had a stuck casing using this method. Sprays are probably OK, but I know what works for me and I never change just for the sake of convenience or easiness.

Cmm_3940
05-08-2014, 09:17 AM
I would FL resize at least once any new brass or brass fired in a different rifle.

singleshot
05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
My .223 dies are Lee. I bought the Lee RGB's and paid something like $18 for the set. Works great! But I only use mine for bunnies, coyotes and such with subsonic loads. Ammo with the Lee dies and my Savage Axis is good for minute of bunny out to 100 yards or so.

blikseme300
05-08-2014, 12:02 PM
I like the Hornady seating die and the Lee FCD for crimping. A mix of Redding & RCBS for the other steps on 2 different LnL AP's.

357shooter
05-09-2014, 06:08 AM
great advice guys...for the most part, my stuff is green, and all dies on hand are RCBS (other than some old Herters dies), so I'll likely stick with RCBS based on past experience and their customer service.

further....what's the point with regular and small base .223 dies? I assume, military brass needs small base dies? If so will small base dies work with commercial .223 brass?

and...as I recall, back when I loaded .243 for a model 70, I could get by with neck sizing only (or partial resizing) to extend brass life. I assume the same still holds true for .223, since I'm only reloading for one particular weapon/chamber?

Thx again!
The small base dies are closer to the minimum specs, so semi-autos will cycle OK. Since you have a bolt gun they really don't come into play for you.

Bayou52
05-09-2014, 08:00 AM
what's the point with regular and small base .223 dies? I assume, military brass needs small base dies? If so will small base dies work with commercial .223 brass?

Here's a description of .223 small base dies taken from RCBS Product Information that appears on the MidwayUSA website:

"Small base sizing dies size brass to minimum specifications and help to ensure that cartridges will chamber every time. Due to the fact that this product sizes more than regular dies, it is crucial to have a sufficient amount of high quality lubricant to prevent stuck cases.
•These dies size the case somewhat smaller in diamter and also set the shoulder back slightly more than a Full-Length sizer die to ensure poper functioning in the actions of these rifles.
•NOT RECOMMENDED FOR AMMUNITION IN BOLT-ACTION RIFLES."

I generally use SB dies for auto loading rifles just to be assured there's no feeding problems. Many folks say the chambering on military barrels is quite "generous", therefore, no SB sizing is indicated for a military barrel.

Zymurgy50
05-09-2014, 09:25 AM

For a bolt action I take a case that has been fired it that chamber and apply a flame from a candle to the neck/shoulder area to blacken it just before sizing. Then adjust the die so that you are just sizing the neck and not bumping the shoulder back. You will see where the die actually touches the case where the soot has been rubbed off.

TNsailorman
05-09-2014, 03:30 PM
My .223 is a little Mini Mauser bolt rifle. The dies I have for it are a set of Hornady New Dimension dies with the sleeve seater. It loads extremely accurate ammo for me. I recently added a couple of seater dies in .223; one die is RCBS and one die is Bonanza. I haven't loaded any ammo with these as yet but I doubt if either will load anything better than the Hornady set. I have some loads with the Hornadys that run around 3/8ths inch. As for lube, I went to Imperial Die Wax many years ago and haven't found the need for anything else, wipe on with the fingers and wipe off with a soft cloth. Most of my dies are RCBS and Redding with a few C-H sets. I started out using Lee Handloaders and still have quite a few. I like the old Lyman Chrome plated dies. I have owned and used Bair and Hollywood and Herter's and they all did a good job for me. I have used Lee dies also and they do the job. I don't buy Lyman anymore but that is a different issue having to do with a less than stellar customer relationship that I have run into with their representatives when I tried to get service from them. Good product; customer representatives with bad attitudes. Just my experience anyway and maybe different from others. james

sig2009
05-09-2014, 04:40 PM
RCBS X Dies. Trim once!

Kilroy08
05-09-2014, 06:53 PM
I've got a set of Lee dies that I've had very good results with. I've also been using Hornady One Shot. I just drop the brass in a coffee can and fog it while shaking the can to get the brass coated.

chsparkman
05-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I've got a set of Lee dies that I've had very good results with. I've also been using Hornady One Shot. I just drop the brass in a coffee can and fog it while shaking the can to get the brass coated.

That's what I use for rifle cases. Works very well. The OP's bolt action .223 should be a great one for cast boolits. I load 45 grainers over 5.7 Green Dot for an extremely accurate squirrel getter in my Ruger #3.

country gent
05-09-2014, 08:29 PM
I loaded 223 308 243 match ammo with redding bushing sizeing dies and seaters. They load very accurate ammunition and allow for neck tension to be adjusted. I have modified some dies to use bushing also. In the late 70s I bought 2 big tins of imperial sizing die wax and just recently opened the second one. A tin of it will size thousands and thousands of cases. I use a dedicated towel to apply it. Place towel on floor flat, pour a couple thopusand cases on it and a finger full of sizing die wax thru the cases. Grasp 2 corners of towel in each hand and raise and lower towel/hands to agitate cases. Once towel is impregnated this can be done in a couple mins. When done pour cases into clean container and roll fold towel for storage till next time. Size cases and clean cases. RCBS and llyman dies are very good normally. I have used some Lee dies along with hornady and ch.

Recluse
05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
CH 223 3 die set (resize, seater, crimp) & Forster Bench Rest for bolt gun. Forster has the least runout.

This, for the most accurate .223 I've ever shot out of a bolt gun.

:coffee:

Mk42gunner
05-10-2014, 11:47 AM
For rifle dies I have mostly RCBS, but lately I have been buying Hornady; I really like the seating die they have. I think most modern dies will be okay to load with.

My .223 dies are a set of Lee RGB dies (two die set) that I paid $10.95 for years ago if the sticker is believed. I have processed several thousand M-16 fired LC cases with mine, they worked well through both the Remington 788 I had and the CZ 527 that my buddy had.

For case lube, I have had problems with both types of aerosol lubes I tried. The first can worked until it was empty (didn't take long), with the second can I started getting stuck cases. I went to using STP, just a small amount on a rag then applied to the case with my fingers. It worked but can be a pain to clean off.

I have since bought a small tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Best handloading investment under $8.00 I have ever made. The small tin will last years unless you are loading several thousand rounds weekly.

Robert

nicholst55
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I've been using RCBS .223 dies for over 30 years with absolutely zero issues. I am currently using a set of Lee .223 dies since most of my reloading gear is 2500 miles away. They have also worked just fine. One thing I do, especially when sizing once-fired milsurp brass is to verify with a case gage that the brass is properly sized before I continue on and prime it. I've never had to size any twice, which I cannot say is also true of once-fired milsurp .308 brass. Loading for a bolt gun should be drama-free.

I prefer Imperial Sizing Die Wax for case lube, but Alberto VO5 hair dressing works pretty well for general usage, as well (and is significantly less expensive and easier to locate). ;)

dudel
05-12-2014, 08:52 AM
For bolt action (and single shot T/C and Handis), I prefer the Lee Collet Die for sizing. They neck size only, and don't need any lube. I then use Hornady dies for the rest of the process. I really like the Hornady inline seater die. You just need to keep those cases identified for those guns.

If loading for a semi auto 223, I just use the full Hornady die set.