PDA

View Full Version : This ole boy is done pan lubing....

DeanWinchester
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Tired of it. Ain't doin' it no more.

Bought an RCBS from a fine gentleman here and am getting a Lyman 450 from another fine fellar here too so the RCBS will be dedicated to my .308 only and the Lyman will run all my pistol boolits.

Got a steal on this RCBS
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC03148_zps91e9a0ff.jpg

Looks really good but needs an enema.
Fire up the pot, break out the Dawn!!http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC03149_zps231b2adc.jpg

Shew Lawd! Looks like an elephant took a poop off in there!
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC03151_zps53378d18.jpg

I ladled off a good bit of old lube.

Ooo! she gleaming now!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC03152_zps1d4ae424.jpg

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC03153_zpsf0e3d846.jpg

Reassembled with a new Oring and all moving parts [except the inside of the lube reservoir] got a coat of Bullplate....and ya'll thought it was just fer boolit molds.

Woot! Excited about the prospect of NOT working' my ars off to lube boolits! Thank you Castboolits. Wouldn't have thought to boil in water and Dawn had I not read it here.

L Erie Caster
05-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Now you just got to find a good deal on top punches and dies. Looks good, good luck.

Garyshome
05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Great find!

MtGun44
05-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Pan lubing works well but sure is slow! You will really appreciate
the new found convenience of the LAM II.

Bill

EMC45
05-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I keep a Lyman 45 (that I got here) set up for .358 bullets. My 4500 is used for everything else. That RCBS is nice looking and ready to go!

gwpercle
05-08-2014, 07:27 PM
The best money I ever spent was for a Lyman 450. I started out pan-lubing
Being somewhat fumble-fingered....I would get melted lube all over the table, floor, on my pants, shirt, the dog, the cat... everywhere it could make a hard to clean up mess. The 450 was heaven...drop in a stick, pressure up, one stroke down, one stroke up and I had a perfectly sized, lubed and gas check seated boolit... quick , no mess, no fuss....I'll never go back.
That's one tool you will really come to appreciate! Enjoy.
Gary

DeanWinchester
05-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Ohhhhh myyyyy Looorrrd! This is sweet.

I got the RCBS set up and ran perfectly sized .311 boolits in mere minutes. Woulda taken a LOT longer the old way. I have a Lyman 45 rip roaring and ready to go too. Cant wait to get it set up for .452!

I definitely feel dumb for not doing this years ago!

Beagle333
05-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Yes indeedy! I sure wish that somebody woulda told me when I started.... "Boy, you can melt lead in nearly anything, you can dip it out with anything, and you can use any mold out there..... but you save up and spend the money up front and get you some kinda lubesizer... any kind!!!!" and I woulda been waaaaay happier for years.

Dframe
05-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Been using my old Lyman 450 for a long time now. Congrats on your new equipment. Looks like you got a real nice lubrisizer there.

MtGun44
05-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Lubrisizers are great. If you are lubing moderate numbers of boolits and
especially if you are doing batches of different sizes and different grooves, the
RCBS and Lyman are wonderful.

If you are going to do runs of a few thousand of the same design, especially if
they have one lube groove, the Star is a the cat's meow. Unfortunately, Stars
are dramatically more expensive, as are dies (unless gotten from Lathesmith or
Buckshot here) and they are fussy to set up because the Star injects the lube
when the boolit is stationary so you have to have a set of holes that line up
exactly with each lube groove. Easy with one lube groove, but you still have
to plug all the other holes with lead shot. Then going from one lube groove to
a Loverin style will mean removing all the lead shot and fiddling with height
adjustment to line up the boolit with the holes for all those grooves.

BUT once set up - the Star will fly! For high production, it's great, but I think
too many times high volume castes recommend the Star to low volume casters
and it isn't really the best fit. Since the RCBS/Lyman style has only one
set of holes, and you move the lube grooves past that one set, setup is
far, far quicker - great when you lube 50 of one kind and then 50 of another.

Bill

Chuck_ls
06-23-2014, 09:55 PM
It is hard to convince new casters to invest in a sizer plus dies for each caliber and a top punch for each mold, but once you find that path, there us no going back. I have three Lyman 450's and a RCBS and set each with a different caliber die and select a lube for that type of bullet. I seldom have to switch dies, and when I need to, I can select the type of lube I want without having to clean out the sizer.
Chuck

sirgknight
06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
I shore wish yall had not got this thread started......yall got me to thinking about needing to change my hard-headed way of doing things. Guess I'll have to start looking real hard for me another addition to my bench.

gwpercle
06-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Lube/sizers are great, no if's , and's or but's about it. I rank them along with central heating and air conditioning and sliced bread. I guess I could live without sliced bread though.
Gary

brassrat
06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Well I got me a big Lyman kit,yesterday, after this, for when I get castin.

varmintpopper
06-28-2014, 01:47 AM
Next on Your list should be a heater to warm up your luber/sizer so You can use hard lube and not have to deal with sticky bullets.

Lindy

DeanWinchester
06-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I have Bens Red in one sizer and LBT Blue Soft in another. No need for a heater and nothing is sticky.

dragon813gt
06-29-2014, 04:19 PM
I have Bens Red in one sizer and LBT Blue Soft in another. No need for a heater and nothing is sticky.

Store the bullets loosely in a container of your choice in an unconditioned area. Check back in a month. The bullets will be sticky To what extent depends on how hot the container got. Hard lubes are the only way to prevent this from happening.

DeanWinchester
06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
I never store boolits loose like that. I save factory ammunition trays from the trash cans at the gun range. After size and lube, I store them in the styrofoam trays until use.

Petrol & Powder
06-29-2014, 07:14 PM
When I decided to get into casting I didn't even consider pan lubing. It seemed far better to cast bullets slightly oversized and then swage them down to the exact diameter I wanted. Lubing in that process was just an added benefit.

John Boy
06-29-2014, 08:17 PM
When I decided to get into casting I didn't even consider pan lubing. It seemed far better to cast bullets slightly oversized and then swage them down to the exact diameter I wanted. Lubing in that process was just an added benefit. Petrol - couldn't agree with you more! Have 2 Lyman's and only use one set up to crimp 22RF blackpowder reloads

bobby65
08-07-2014, 11:30 PM
How long do you keep it in the water.
How long can you store the boolits after you lube them

Beagle333
08-08-2014, 12:02 AM
How long do you keep it in the water.

Until melted lube stops coming out of it. Maybe 5-6 minutes after the water gets warmer than 140°. It doesn't take long at all. It doesn't necessarily even have to come to a boil..... you can just dunk it up and down in some really hot water with some Dawn until the lube melts. If you leave some sizers in the water with a rolling boil for too long, the paint will wrinkle and come off. I know I have took most of the paint off a couple of Lyman 45's accidentally, by doing that.

How long can you store the boolits after you lube them
A lot longer than you should. ;-) If you put them in something like Tupperware or coffee cans, they'll keep a couple of years before the lube dries out and cracks and starts falling out of the lube groove. If you load them sometime soon after lubing (I'd say... within a couple of months), they'll keep indefinitely, as the lube won't be exposed and get to dry out. If you get them too warm while stored, the lube will run out of the grooves, of course. If you get them too warm after loading them.... you run the risk of your lube melting and contaminating some of your powder. The best bet if you're gonna store em.... load into cases and just don't get them too hot. If you are really into storage.... learn to powdercoat. You can keep them forever at any temp, even in ziplock bags, 5 gallon buckets, or just rolling around in the bottom of a drawer. 8-)

MBTcustom
08-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Ohhhhh myyyyy Looorrrd! This is sweet.

I got the RCBS set up and ran perfectly sized .311 boolits in mere minutes. Woulda taken a LOT longer the old way. I have a Lyman 45 rip roaring and ready to go too. Cant wait to get it set up for .452!

I definitely feel dumb for not doing this years ago!

For what it's worth, I was raised with a 450 and that's all I ever knew until a few months ago and I bought a Star. What you said in the quote pretty much sums up my thoughts verbatim.
That said, the LAM and the 450 are both really awesome tools that will make your life ten times easier.
Just a tip, give the perfessor a jingle and ask if he's got any of his special wrenches for the die retaining nut on your Lyman. Really great idea there.

Congratulations! I hope that die I modified for you works like a champ.

bobby65
08-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info beagle but that leads to one more question. I have a few hundred rounds that I got and the lube is hard, cracking and falling off can I put them in the water also and then just re lube them when ready

Beagle333
08-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Yep. You can boil the heck out of those and the more agitation (rolling boil) the better. Use Dawn in there too. It helps the lube let go of the boolits.