PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Mauser

Battis
05-07-2014, 07:51 AM
I've been shooting my Swedish Mauser lately and it is as good as other shooters said it was. Light, accurate, low recoil, well made. A shooter on the range the other day told me he has about 20 of them.
Now, my local store has a Husqvarna Mauser for $425. I gave it the once over, then started searching online for info. Opinions vary - some posters say they're great, some say there's not much difference between them and the Gustaf Mausers, if any. I have to limit my "investment gun" purchases - as most married shooters know, you can only use that term so many times.
Any opinions on the Husqvarna Mausers?

RickinTN
05-07-2014, 08:10 AM
I don't have any experience with them but have been "eyeing" them for a couple of years now. I'm curious what those with experience have to say as well.
Rick

tahoe2
05-07-2014, 08:28 AM
New Here, but not new to Mausers. The Husky is a finely made rifle, but as with any used gun, depends on the previous owners.
That said, I've yet to own one, but given the chance, I would snap one up in a heartbeat. Prices vary $295-$550 depending on condition,
caliber, etc... $425, could be high? could be a smoking deal? you need to decide that one. But IMO a Husky is a solid gun, worth the money,
and will last many lifetimes. Had my eye on a Husky sporter in 9.3 x 62 once, hesitated, missed it, regretted it ever since! Good Luck!!

curator
05-07-2014, 08:56 AM
The Husqvarna M38 Mauser is generally worth more than those Gustav M96s converted to M38 configuration. However, condition is everything. Both guns have Swedish quality and workmanship, but the Huskys are made more recently (mostly WWII) and purpose built with bent bolt handle. American collectors tend to value the Husky a bit more.

W.R.Buchanan
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Condition is everything. The Husky Swedes are as good or better than the CG guns, and as the above person stated they are valued a little higher.

The person you need to talk to here is Dutchman. He is the resident expert on all things Swedish Mauser, and can give you the strait scoop on the gun.

He also has personal examples of just about all of them.

He will probably chime in soon.

Randy

Teddy (punchie)
05-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Husqvarna Is a very old Company and make very nice items. Maybe not the best but I would place them close to the top in most things they make.

wch
05-07-2014, 02:37 PM
I have used two of these Husqvarna actions on custom rifles; they are made from good steel and are accurate and sturdy.

Dutchman
05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
As a shooting rifle or as a collectible? Big difference between those two avenues.

I bought a beautiful HVA m/38 in 1995 for $130. It was gorgeous. I never shot it. Long term safe queen. I sold it when I could easily get $400 for it. Gone.

A Carl Gustaf converted m/38 can bring more interest depending on the stockwood. HVA are all beech. Beech is certainly a sound stockwood but kinda overall dull visually. Carl Gustaf rifles used some of the most beautiful walnut of every kind, elm, mahogany and some outstanding fiddleback maple. All things being equal (which they never are) the Carl Gustaf m/38 with a superior piece of stockwood will sell for much more $$$.

Experienced riflemen prefer the clearcut speed superiority of a straight bolt handle. Young whippersnappers like bent bolt handles. They think straight bolt handles are ugly. I'll take speed over beauty every time.

All the most accurate rifles are m/96 long rifles. Husqvarna (HVA) also made m/96 rifles for civilian target use. But the great preponderance of Swedish Mausers were the over 500,000 m/96 with the graceful 29" barrels. A good m/96 will shoot sub-MOA when in the hands of a good rifleman with fresh ammo.

Comparing the fit & finish between HVA and Gustaf rifles the Gustaf rifles come out on top. Its not a huge great difference but its there. Those HVA rifles that sell for high dollars are those in upper condition. There are lots of high end m/38 floating around like the one I sold a few years ago.

If you're not a discerning collector and you like what you see then buy it. Bore condition would be the mitigating factor when the rifle's main use is target shooting or hunting. The variables to a collector would give you a headache..

Dutch

ELFEGO BACA
05-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I have a CARL Gustav mdl96/38 with a straight bolt and a Husky model 38 with bent bolt.
I cannibalized the Husky by drilling and tapping for a Soderin rear aperture sight.
In a recent high power match using cast bullets I ran out of time in rapid sitting because of the bent bolt on the Husky.
I shoot left handed but atribute this error to the bent bolt.
I have done well with the straight bolt Carl Gustav.
But then again I have shot my Springfield 1903A3 in a timely manner.

edwin41
06-06-2014, 05:27 PM
i recently bought me a hva m 38 rifle , build in 1942 .
the rifle was unissued and been in storage for decades , shame the stock showes some cracks from dryness , but mechanicly the rifle is new and a good shooter , light and compact , way easier to take along than my cg 63 rifle .
the m 38 is matching numbers , and everything is marked with the last three digits of the serialnumbers.
i do think that the older carl gustav m96 rifles are the better ones , fit and finish of these older rifles seem to be much better.

tygar
06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
I have several Husky sporters made in the 50s in 30-06. Very nice & well made. Shoot good & look good.