PDA

View Full Version : BFR owners?

Cornbread
05-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I am looking to hear from anyone who has owned a BFR in any caliber. How did they shoot for you? Did they like cast boolits? Were they accurate? Were they reliable? etc.

I am thinking my next gun will be a BFR in 454 Casull but I would like to hear more from people who have "owned" them, not just "shot" them as to your experiences with them.

dubber123
05-07-2014, 07:13 AM
My brother has one in .475. Great gun for the money, good barrel, very accurate, 1.5" or less at 50 yds. with iron sights. Trigger pull needed tuning, (easy to do), sights are kinda cheesy, (aluminum), cheap grips. Well worth the money in my experience with them.

white eagle
05-07-2014, 08:13 AM
I have one in 475 Linebaugh
great shooter,accurate with irons easy to load for loves cast

Wis. Tom
05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
I have a BFR 30-30. Good shooter, but had to send it back. Ejector rod came loose so I called them and they sent a Fed Ex tag. I sent it in but haven't heard from them. Still working loads up. I will let you know how this warranty goes. Gun was a month old.

44man
05-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Every one I own, three, have perfect bore, groove and throat dimensions as do those my friends own. Shoot cast right out of the box.
Best, most accurate revolvers ever made. I do not like barrel length choices since they have new owners, I like longer, at least 7-1/2". Too many want short so the company has you go to the custom shop for longer. My .500 JRH is a custom shop gun and is nothing but perfection. Trigger has no creep and under 2#. Gun is fit better overall but a production gun does not lack anything.
I taped a shotgun shell at 100 yards and from the bench with an Ultra Dot, I was 1/2" off the first shot but hit it on the second shot. Try that with any other revolver. 104236
Then five shotgun shells at 50 yards, on their sides. I hit all in the base but only found 3 in the weeds. 3/4" targets. 104237 Had my old scope on the gun until I got the new dot.

Cornbread
05-07-2014, 10:45 AM
44man on their barrel lengths, where do they measure from? I like a 6.5" barrel measured from the start of the barrel not where the barrel meets the frame. So far on all my pistols I use only open sights. One of the reasons I am looking into BFRs is the grip, I loathe Ruger's Bisley style and although it probably looks weird I have often in the past put pachmayr Decelerator style grips on mine, especially ones with heavy recoil that I shoot a ton like my 454s. How do the grips on the BFR feel to you and does anyone like pachmayr make heavy recoil grips for them that have nice comfy finger grooves etc? Unlike many I prefer rubber grips to wood. Wood looks pretty but I want to shoot them a lot and rubber just plain feels better and I stay accurate unlike wood which beats up my hands too much over long periods of shooting. I do not shoot with a glove either.

snowwolfe
05-07-2014, 10:56 AM
I own one, a 500 JRH. Great shooting revolver. Had to get the grip modified by Jack Huntington so it would handle the recoil better. It also needed a trigger job.
By the time the grip mod and trigger job was done I was close to the price of a Freedom Arms (FA). My opinion is if you are buying one in a caliber that Freedom Arms also makes just spring for the extra money and buy the Freedom Arms. FA 454's are really common and easy to find on the used market as well.

BFR measures the barrel length from where the barrel meets the cylinder.

Cornbread
05-07-2014, 03:28 PM
OK that is where I measure barrel length from as well. Do Freedom Arms have to be carried on an open chamber? The BFRs don't and I don't like leaving an empty chamber or using a quarter cock safety system. If Freedom Arms make you use either of those that would be enough to make me go with a BFR.

dougader
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
IIRC, The FA 83 needs to be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Not so with the FA 97 or the BFR, which has a transfer bar system very much like the NM Rugers.

Cornbread
05-07-2014, 04:18 PM
I looked at Freedom Arms just now and they don't show a 97 in 454, and I won't do empty chamber or quarter cock safety so it is looking more and more like a BFR is what I want. Like Nise said I would be looking for a 6.5" and it would be in 454. I really hope I don't end up with the issues snowwolfe had. I hate tinkering with guns, I want to get them, then shoot them and have them work :)

dubber123
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
I think F/A recommends the empty chamber thing to cover their backside. I believe they have a hammer block safety, but you do have to carry it one "click" back. I have a F/A .475, and it's not going anywhere..

If you like rubber grips, I think Pachmayer does make them for the BFR. The ones the BFR comes with are more "plasiticy" and kinda cheap feeling, and sounding. I think if the sights don't bother you, (pretty much standard Ruger sights), a little trigger tuning will be all you might want to do with a new BFR, and that is easy and FREE if you are remotely handy. Sure you don't want wood grips? Here is a set I whittled for my brothers BFR..

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_0051.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/dubber123/media/IMG_0051.jpg.html)

That is a Bowen rear sight. Highly recommended..

Cornbread
05-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Wood grips are beautiful but I prefer to shoot with rubber. My typical reloading day goes: load up a couple hundred 454, walk outside to my range and shoot a couple hundred 454. I have found for myself doing this with wood grips makes me need to wear a glove or shoot less because my hand gets beat up. I dislike gloves for shooting and I like to shoot a lot so rubber has been the way to go for me. Yep, it's kind of ugly but I can shoot it all day in 454 which makes me happy :)

shorty500M
05-07-2014, 05:45 PM
104258mines the .45-70 with 10-1/2 barrel. steady diet of 400grainers from mild to wild. have left it with open sights and much altered optional wood hogue monogrip

dmize
05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
I have 2.
A 475/480 and a 50AE/500JRH.
I also have 27 Rugers and have shot a Premier Grade FA 454.
In my humble opinion a BFR is the closest you can come to a FA without spending the extra bucks.
And FWIW I have pretty large hands (my 50AE Desert Eagle fits MUCH better than any of my 1911's) and I shoot my guns instead of showing them off and the factory Uncle Mikes are perfect for me.

Cornbread
05-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys. This kind of stuff is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm not poor but I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination so spending my guns purchases wisely is something I must do for sure to make sure I can do the shooting I love and be able to still make certain I can keep up with my responsibilities like bills and child support etc.

lar45
05-07-2014, 11:24 PM
I have a few of them, 45/454/410, 45-70, 475, 50AE/500JRH, 500S&W, and have been more than pleased with all of them except the 45/410. The throats on the 410 are large, but it still shoots reasonably well. I may have to send it back and have it made into a 375 win or something, or just get a 460 cylinder for it?
The factory production guns measure the barrel from the front of the frame, but the custom shop measures from the cylinder.
I shoot nothing but cast in all of them.
The grip frame is real close to a Super Blackhawk. I did a little dremmel work on a Houge mono-grip and got it to fit on my 475.
I would buy them all again except the 410.

odis
05-08-2014, 12:31 AM
I own a precision center JT in 45colt. Its the best handgun I have ever shot. I have never shot a custom by any of the best custom smiths nor have I ever shot a FA. It has never had any factory ammo shot through it plus I have never shot a jacketed bullet through it. I love it. I exclusively shoot 325 gr cast bullets dropped from an accurate mold with a lot of WW296. Too me the gun is not pretty, spending a lot of money for fancy grips is out of the question, The gun is industrial looking and blows up bleach jugs full of water at 100yds in a very reliable blue collar way.

44man
05-08-2014, 11:10 AM
The grips on the BFR's are perfect, Uncle Mike grips. Same as Pachmeyer signature grips.
NO Freedom should be carried with all chambers full. I seen the 97 where the transfer bar did nor go down. Part worn so I made a new one. Not Kosher to push the hammer to see the pin go out. The 83 has also not had the hammer block rise.
A BFR will out shoot every Freedom made. Also stronger, uses the same Carpenter steel but thicker.
Now the .454? I just do not like the caliber. It uses the wrong primer. It is a bitch to work with no matter the gun. That is the only one I will never buy.
Barrel length on a BFR is measured from the front of the frame. Small difference but I like it. Why include the forcing cone? Guys get sick over a few fractions. My God, 1/4 oz more weight, stupid is as stupid does!

ole 5 hole group
05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Well Jim, the BFR is an accurate firearm - no doubt about that - but I doubt they will outshoot every FA made. I think they will shoot as good as most FA's but not any better, as a general statement.

I have a couple BFR's and a FA97 in 45 Colt. The FA shoots mighty fine when pushed hard but will shoot acceptable groups at moderate velocities with VV 340 powder and 255 grain cast. My BFR's shoot might fine as well. Here's a picture of 5-rounds at 25 yards with the FA97 - hard to get better than that on a consistent basis. I can consistently shoot small groups at 25 yards with the FA97 when rested & scoped - without the scope and rested I have a hard time finding 5 cast bullets that like to play together and when shooting off-hand well, some really dislike being part of the group at times.:razz:

Cornbread
05-08-2014, 12:44 PM
44man, what part of the reloading for 454s gives you problems? I use H110 and have not ever had any problems so long as I push large bullets at, at least the minimum load recommendation. Smallest cast bullet I shoot from mine is a 250gr Oregon Trail bullet without gas checks using H110. I use small rifle primers for my loads. Which ones are you using? I will admit 454 loads aren't as easy to do as say 357 or 45lc but I wouldn't say they have ever been hard for me to get right.

My wife is rooting for me to get a S&W in 460V with a 5" barrel but I already have two double action 454s and I was kind of thinking a single action might be what I am wanting for my next 454. For sure the next one after this will be a Smith or a Ruger double action in either 5" for the Smith or the 7.5" that the Ruger comes in but those are probably a ways down the road. It's a sickness I tell ya :)

44man
05-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Well Jim, the BFR is an accurate firearm - no doubt about that - but I doubt they will outshoot every FA made. I think they will shoot as good as most FA's but not any better, as a general statement.

I have a couple BFR's and a FA97 in 45 Colt. The FA shoots mighty fine when pushed hard but will shoot acceptable groups at moderate velocities with VV 340 powder and 255 grain cast. My BFR's shoot might fine as well. Here's a picture of 5-rounds at 25 yards with the FA97 - hard to get better than that on a consistent basis. I can consistently shoot small groups at 25 yards with the FA97 when rested & scoped - without the scope and rested I have a hard time finding 5 cast bullets that like to play together and when shooting off-hand well, some really dislike being part of the group at times.:razz:

I have seen some do good and many have some good ones but they vary out of box. But I don't shoot 25 yards for any reason and have done that at 100 yards. My best was with a BFR at 500 giving me a 2-1/2" group. The 4 out of 5 on a 6" swinger at 400, first shot a sighter.
I shot IHMSA for a long time and would out shoot everything with a Ruger, even the DW. We had a huge gripe with Ruger sights and could not change to the great sights Freedom has. But I still shot better.
I found every BFR has perfect bore, groove and throat dimensions but had Freedoms with over size bores and also out of round. Fit too tight with offside wear in throats and forcing cones.
I have a bad rep about them but never lied either. Just forgive me. My picture is 3 shots off hand at 100 with my old SBH, 330 gr cast. 104370
This can was shot 5 times at 100 yards with my BFR, the one hole in the top, got tired of setting it back up. The other holes were made with a .45ACP rifle by a friend.

44man
05-09-2014, 09:19 AM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s244.photobucket.com/user/bfrshooter/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
You can go here to see my pictures.

44man
05-09-2014, 09:20 AM
http://s244.photobucket.com/user/bfrshooter/library/
If that doesn't work, try this.

44man
05-09-2014, 10:35 AM
44man, what part of the reloading for 454s gives you problems? I use H110 and have not ever had any problems so long as I push large bullets at, at least the minimum load recommendation. Smallest cast bullet I shoot from mine is a 250gr Oregon Trail bullet without gas checks using H110. I use small rifle primers for my loads. Which ones are you using? I will admit 454 loads aren't as easy to do as say 357 or 45lc but I wouldn't say they have ever been hard for me to get right.

My wife is rooting for me to get a S&W in 460V with a 5" barrel but I already have two double action 454s and I was kind of thinking a single action might be what I am wanting for my next 454. For sure the next one after this will be a Smith or a Ruger double action in either 5" for the Smith or the 7.5" that the Ruger comes in but those are probably a ways down the road. It's a sickness I tell ya :)
Starting loads of 296 would not go off. SRH or Freedom. Bullets up in the barrels with unburned powder behind. Just a little discolored. I tried all SR mag primers I had. I keep a brass rod and hammer in my shooting bag now. Only when the load was increased did they fire. I cut primer pockets to take a LP mag primer (Super hard to get all for fit.) Then any load worked and accuracy increased but they were still pretty near max. I found cutting down .460 brass was better. They take a LP primer. I found even a Fed 150 would ignite all loads but the 155 was more accurate.
The primer is wrong for the cartridge. The SR was chosen when the caliber was worked with using duplex and triplex loads with Bullseye as a starter powder. The Fed 155 works with any load. I have gone to over max without a problem. I know I exceeded 55,000 psi.

snowwolfe
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
The biggest problem if you decide you want to purchase a new Freedom Arms is there is currently a one year waiting time for factory orders and an expected price increase as well. But used 454's are pretty common on Gunbrokers.

Cornbread
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Starting loads of 296 would not go off. SRH or Freedom. Bullets up in the barrels with unburned powder behind. Just a little discolored. I tried all SR mag primers I had. I keep a brass rod and hammer in my shooting bag now. Only when the load was increased did they fire. I cut primer pockets to take a LP mag primer (Super hard to get all for fit.) Then any load worked and accuracy increased but they were still pretty near max. I found cutting down .460 brass was better. They take a LP primer. I found even a Fed 150 would ignite all loads but the 155 was more accurate.
The primer is wrong for the cartridge. The SR was chosen when the caliber was worked with using duplex and triplex loads with Bullseye as a starter powder. The Fed 155 works with any load. I have gone to over max without a problem. I know I exceeded 55,000 psi.

I've always used SR, never tried SRM primers in it, and have always used H110. Even the load data I got from Oregon Trail specifically for their bullets specified SR for their 250gr that I shoot.

Wow, sorry to hear they gave you such fits and squibs, that sounds like a royal pain. If you live in MT I'd be more than happy to help you debug the issue if you wanted to bring over any 454s you have and see if we can fix the issue without having to use a non-spec primer for the gun. FWIW I use CCI's SR primers in mine and have not had a squib but I do use a heavy crimp and I always seat and crimp separately.

snowwolfe
05-09-2014, 01:20 PM
I owned three different 454's over the last 15 years or so, none being a BFR. Never had any issues with any as far as reloading and none of the revolvers ever held a factory round. You do have to pay attention to the crimp and make sure the bullets are secure as they can walk out of the case and tie up the cylinder on rounds five or six if you are not careful. I always seated and crimped in different steps and never had any issues after this.

44man
05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
We had factory cast loads here and 2 or 3 shots tied up the gun from boolit pull. Super, heavy profile crimps. I would worry if in bear country.
My normal crimps never pulled no matter how heavy the boolit or load. Better case tension?
The .454 is very accurate but really likes hotter loads.

44man
05-09-2014, 04:36 PM
My friend has the Freedom .454 that was worn and I fixed it best I could. He shoots my PB boolit with unreal accuracy now. he wants me to cast but I told him "no" come and make some. Yeah it will shoot a PB and hit small at 100 yards. His son does not shake like me and has hit pop cans off hand at 100. The boy puts me to shame but it makes me happy. He was afraid of my JRH and after he shot it, he was rolling pop cans every shot at 50. Damn, I need sandbags!

Sharpeye
05-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Mine is chambered in 500 Mag 7.5" barrel and I love it. Super stout and I have shot everything from 275GR barnes at 3200 fps to 725GR lead bullets of my own design at 1100 fps with no troubles. Very accurate and they even supplied to different front sights to adjust from shooting the lighter to heavier bullets. I'm actually in the process of lapping my barrel now (Verals compound and I am shooting some hot jacketed to finish) But it liked all the gas checked lead bullets through so far. Very good craftsmanship. As far as mine goes ith the 500 mag I love having the longer cyl to get a longer nose and more case capacity for my larger bullets. I want another in 45-70....

lar45
05-10-2014, 11:58 PM
My first BFR was a 10.5" 45-70. Factory level loads are real mild in the recoil department. My one complaint about it is it weighs about 5# . I've pushed 405's up to 1750fps and still got 1.5" groups at 50yds. It was not fun to shoot at that level, but was still controllable.
At some point I'd like to get one of the 44mag shortys and a 454 also.

Rick B
05-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Have a 475 L. The cylinder throats are very uniform. It shoots better than I can hold it. Looking forward to hunting with it soon.
Rick

44man
05-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Have a 475 L. The cylinder throats are very uniform. It shoots better than I can hold it. Looking forward to hunting with it soon.
Rick
I had trouble with mine with the first 3 deer. I relax too much and did not hold tight. (too many deer) Barrel rose and I took tons of hair off the tops of their backs. Never cut skin. I even considered porting but it was just me. After that it is a deer thumper supreme. Hold the same as you do on the range. That darn gun will kill anything that walks.
Best was a buck, came in on the wrong side and I shot with one hand, HEE HEE, shot WAY over.
darn thing needs held is all. I got 5 with the .475 last season and 4 dropped dead at the shot.
The BFR .44 Shorty might be good but I complain about a lack of barrel lengths. Twist is super and I would love to have one in 7-1/2" That sucker would shoot heavy boolits like a dream. Can't afford a custom shop gun any more.

44man
05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
John had a freedom .475 and my 420 gr boolit will fit. We shot unreal groups at 50 yards but he had to get the rubber grips. Many of my boolits will not fit and stick out the front of the short cylinder.
But it was a great gun. So is the .454 but how you load or what you buy is important. Cast shooters have a bigger problem. You need to find a boolit to fit.
Guns need to change frames for larger calibers, the bfr's have done it. Still huge Rugers but fit better with better barrels. Frames cast by Pine Tree, Ruger company but Badger barrels fit. Internal parts all Ruger but I change the hammer springs to wolff.
The front grip frame screw on a BFR can be too short and strip. Frame threads OK and a longer screw fixes it.

Cornbread
05-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Today's load was cast 250gr RN FP, over 34.5gr of H110, CCI SR primers and a heavy crimp. There is no airspace in this load, the powder is compressed. I'm getting just under 1800fps with it. No issues at all with this load. Muzzle energy is around 1750 ft-lbs. Not an overly hot round but you definitely feel it after you fire a cylinder or more of them for sure. I shot them out of my 2" 454 and my 6.5", good accuracy with both. A lot of stumps here on my property died a noble death today :) I've got my inquiries out to find the cheapest place to get a BFR in 454 around here. Still waiting to hear back from a few places.

JSH
05-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I have shot IHMSA for quite a while. I have yet to see a bfr at a match let alone see one in the state listings as having won or placed. Not knocking the bfr by any means just sayine what I have seen. The only thing I would guess at this point would be their caliber selection maybe? Though there are plenty of shooters using the .44 mag. I think I missed the boat on the bfr's when they were building them in 475 LB.
I honestly think that they (bfr) are missing out on a piece of the wheel gun market. If they would promote a mid length frame "super mag" and offer it in the old 357,375, 414 and 445 I honestly think they would take off.
Jeff

44man
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
I have shot IHMSA for quite a while. I have yet to see a bfr at a match let alone see one in the state listings as having won or placed. Not knocking the bfr by any means just sayine what I have seen. The only thing I would guess at this point would be their caliber selection maybe? Though there are plenty of shooters using the .44 mag. I think I missed the boat on the bfr's when they were building them in 475 LB.
I honestly think that they (bfr) are missing out on a piece of the wheel gun market. If they would promote a mid length frame "super mag" and offer it in the old 357,375, 414 and 445 I honestly think they would take off.
Jeff
I no longer have the rules but the BFR's might not make weight for production. Even unlimited has a weight limit but if a BFR makes weight, not many want to shoot a revolver in unlimited class.
A mid frame would be great but the new owners go with the market and make what guys order, a loss of barrel length choices is a result.
The custom shop guns are still a buy, cheaper then some production and custom guns.

Cornbread
05-13-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't shoot competition but the rules are here: http://www.ihmsa.org/rules.html

I looked up handgun weight and without a scope the limit is 4lbs so only the 454, 475, and 480 BFRs qualify, everything else is over 4lbs including oddly enough the 44mag.

Unlimited is 6lbs without a scope so all of them I looked at would be legal for that category.

JSH
05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Cornbread thanks for info. I had in my head it was 5lb. Thought they had changed something a few years back when savage campaigned the striker.
44 man I do read quite a few of your threads on the bfr.
When I first saw them I had looked at one of the Phelps revolvers in 45-70. The rifle calibers I suspect have more macho glory buyers than actual shooters for the most part. Once again sure wish they would make an fr, finest revolver.
Jeff

44man
05-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Cornbread thanks for info. I had in my head it was 5lb. Thought they had changed something a few years back when savage campaigned the striker.
44 man I do read quite a few of your threads on the bfr.
When I first saw them I had looked at one of the Phelps revolvers in 45-70. The rifle calibers I suspect have more macho glory buyers than actual shooters for the most part. Once again sure wish they would make an fr, finest revolver.
Jeff
Used to be 5# for unlimited. had to weigh my XP100 at the post office to make sure after I built a stock. Boyde Carpenter double sprung the sear so the safety had to be removed. Trigger was an ounce or so. When I built the stock the stupid inertia block had to be removed. To make weight I had to bore out the bolt knob. Boyde spotted for me once and I had less then an inch at 150 meters. I shot against Josie Engle all the time and we traded places shoot to shoot. Wonderful lady. I was International class with all guns. Got there very quick. Hardly anyone beat me with a revolver. Just a Ruger. Boyde was one of the best shots ever but he never beat my revolver. I won Ohio state and could have won the nationals but had no money to go. I also won Ohio state .22 with a Ruger Mark II with no sight settings from a new gun. I missed the first pig, turkey and ram but my spotter seen hits. I also hit all the .22 shoot off chickens at 100 yards. 57 out of 60, 5 chickens at 100 yards. I was there with the best. The best were friends. Losers had hate.
Revolver shooters hated to see me. Their problem was the 4227's in the .44. Don't work at all with a hot gun. Guns got HOT!
Ihmsa is the best of the best so your 25 yard groups mean nothing at all when a good IHMSA shooter will do that at 200 meters. Bradshaw showed that. There was a shoot to 500 meters in VA, I never made it, sadly.
Yeah, your revolver is a 7 yard gun!

44man
05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't shoot competition but the rules are here: http://www.ihmsa.org/rules.html

I looked up handgun weight and without a scope the limit is 4lbs so only the 454, 475, and 480 BFRs qualify, everything else is over 4lbs including oddly enough the 44mag.

Unlimited is 6lbs without a scope so all of them I looked at would be legal for that category.
I am sure the .475 BFR is a 40 gun but recoil for 40 shots has to be even too much for me. The .454 even worse. It is Sharper. How about 80 shots? Naw, sucker will wear you down.

missionary5155
05-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Greetings
I liked my standard BFR caliber .454 with the stock gripe enough to secure a .475 Linebaugh for use this time up. I am a small frame type (146 pounds) and I shoot the BFR without any great calamity. It shoots better than I do. I will say I would rather shoot heavy for caliber cast than a lighter boolit at fireball spitting high velocities. A 300 grainer or heavier in the 454 will out penetrate those light weight "laser light" zippers. Those hyper-velocity things scare the worms and make other shooters dig bunkers.
Mike in Peru

44man
05-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Friend used H335 in his pistol, WOW, what a blast! Others wished they were in bunkers.

Cornbread
08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I got my BFR in 454 the other day. I had to grind the front site down. It was ridiculously tall and shot way low with my cast rounds. I set the rear site in the middle vertically and then ground 1/4" or more off the front site. Then sighted in from there, that worked much better. It is shooting better than I can now so accuracy is no worry. It could use a trigger job, the trigger is a tad heavy and has a small amount of creep, but I can't complain either because I'm hitting everything I aim at with it. Very solid in build, the gun has nice finish too it but I will probably replace the cheese grater grips with something softer. They will work for now though for sure. There are some very sharp edges on these guns, finish wise. I wonder why they don't round these more? It doesn't affect me at all so again no complaints I just think they could do a hair more finish wise for what they are charging for them. Overall I am very pleased so far with my purchase of this one, so thank you to all who filled me in on these guns.

This is a video of my son shooting it this evening with bullets we cast together that he then reloaded while I supervised. These are his first bullets that he did himself from ingot to target.

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/AndyTheCornbread/MVI_6091_zpsf53faf38.mp4

MrBFR
08-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I think you'll like the BFR, I got my first BFR about 3-4 weeks ago and it's a 454 also, but I love it. Looks like you got the "short" barrel. I got the 7.5" version which is really more like 8 1/8" since MRI measures the barrel from end of the frame instead of at the forcing cone. My front sight was tall too and the rear sight from the factory was set almost as high as it would go so I bought one of the HiViz fiber optic fronts from MRI and put it on (with a dab of blue locktite on the screw to hold it in), got the "high" version and it's quite a bit shorter than the stock front sight, plus has the advantage of being fiber optic.

I also take off the rear sight blade and use a white crayon to fill in the sight since all black sights just don't work for me. Took a pic

http://i.imgur.com/FILkOHu.jpg

lar45
08-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Grip selection is rather limited for the BFR. The profile of the BFR grip is really close to the Super Blackhawk, but is just enough different that Ruger grips don't fit everywhere.
I went with the Black Micarta grips for my 500 JRH.
I took a dremmel to a set of Houge mono-grips for a Super Blackhawk and got them to fit my 475.

You used to be able to buy all of the different height sights, normal and fiber optic, but it looks like all they list is 2 fiber optic ones now:(
On a positive note, has anyone seen or used the Millet Rear sight?
I think I may have to get a couple of them. I wonder if they will fit a Ruger?
http://www.magnumresearch.com//sights/magnum-research-bfr-millett-adjustable-rear-sight.asp

http://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=BFR302.jpg&w=326&h=278

For the trigger, you can always do the Ruger Poor Boy trigger job.
Take the grips off and unhook one of the trigger spring legs.
That will lighten the trigger pull some.

I read somewhere about a new trigger break in technique that has worked well for me.
First, make sure the gun is unloaded.
cock the gun, use your thumb to put forward pressure on the hammer and pull the trigger.
Do this many times and it will help to smooth out any burrs or rough spots on the sear surfaces.

The 454 is one of the calibers that I don't have in a BFR.
If anyone wants to swap a 454 BFR for one in 45/410, let me know :)

44man
08-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Grip selection is rather limited for the BFR. The profile of the BFR grip is really close to the Super Blackhawk, but is just enough different that Ruger grips don't fit everywhere.
I went with the Black Micarta grips for my 500 JRH.
I took a dremmel to a set of Houge mono-grips for a Super Blackhawk and got them to fit my 475.

You used to be able to buy all of the different height sights, normal and fiber optic, but it looks like all they list is 2 fiber optic ones now:(
http://www.magnumresearch.com//sights/magnum-research-bfr-millett-adjustable-rear-sight.asp

http://www.magnumresearch.com/GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=BFR302.jpg&w=326&h=278

For the trigger, you can always do the Ruger Poor Boy trigger job.
Take the grips off and unhook one of the trigger spring legs.
That will lighten the trigger pull some.

I read somewhere about a new trigger break in technique that has worked well for me.
First, make sure the gun is unloaded.
cock the gun, use your thumb to put forward pressure on the hammer and pull the trigger.
Do this many times and it will help to smooth out any burrs or rough spots on the sear surfaces.

The 454 is one of the calibers that I don't have in a BFR.
If anyone wants to swap a 454 BFR for one in 45/410, let me know :)
They should fit, BFR and Ruger uses the same sights. The original Ruger Flat Top used a good sight, might have been a Millet or Micro, don't remember, then they started to make their own, drove us nuts with uneven adjustments. Screws wore fast and I kept a lot of extras. But we could not change sights to what the factory did not offer. Score for the freedom.
I like the finish on the Ruger and BFR, get a mark and Scotch-Brite fixes it. Not so a Freedom, score BFR and Ruger.
BFR has a hand lapped barrel and will shoot cast out of the box. Never seen one out of dimensions. Cylinders are in alignment with just enough play and long enough to shoot anything. Score BFR.
Yet the .454 bugs me because of the primer. I just don't want one.
One amazing gun is Bioman's Ruger Hunter. I did the trigger and put the Ultra Dot on, He was shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards as we sighted in. Don't over look them. No Bisley, I had one and never got it to shoot right. I have to be desperate to buy a Bisley ever again.

ole 5 hole group
08-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I got my BFR in 454 the other day. I had to grind the front site down. It was ridiculously tall and shot way low with my cast rounds.

Your BFR should have shipped with additional front sights of different heights (unless that is no longer their policy) - call them and they will make it right.

Cornbread
08-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Your BFR should have shipped with additional front sights of different heights (unless that is no longer their policy) - call them and they will make it right.

They sent a gun lock and a scope mounting attachment but no extra sites. Maybe they don't do that anymore? Ruger front sites are so cheap to pick up if I ever need an extra tall one again that I am not worried about it. I would only bug them if something was seriously not working for me with the gun. A little grinding on the aluminum front site took about a minute at most and solved the issue to my satisfaction. The high viz fiber sites look nice enough that I might pick up one of them eventually too but for now the current one ground down works great.

Thor's Daddy
08-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Cornbread,

Have you performed a poor-boy's trigger job (http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm) on your new BFR yet? It'll improve the trigger pull significantly. Mine could still use a bit of work, but it's far, far better than it was.

As far as sights are concerned, the Bowen Rough Country or Target rear are well worth the coin. For front sights check with forum member 2Dogs. He was selling custom front sight blanks a while back that are absolutely top notch. A big step up from the aluminum front sights the BFR's ship with.

And enjoy the new 454.

Sharpeye
08-06-2014, 09:38 PM
They sent a gun lock and a scope mounting attachment but no extra sites. Maybe they don't do that anymore? Ruger front sites are so cheap to pick up if I ever need an extra tall one again that I am not worried about it. I would only bug them if something was seriously not working for me with the gun. A little grinding on the aluminum front site took about a minute at most and solved the issue to my satisfaction. The high viz fiber sites look nice enough that I might pick up one of them eventually too but for now the current one ground down works great.

I got my 500 Mag BFR from Bud's and It came with 2 front sights + lock and scope mount and that was in Jan of this year. A tall and xtra tall but I wish I had an xtra xtra tall for my big boolits as they still shoot high :holysheep

Whiterabbit
08-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Greetings
I liked my standard BFR caliber .454 with the stock gripe enough to secure a .475 Linebaugh for use this time up. I am a small frame type (146 pounds) and I shoot the BFR without any great calamity. It shoots better than I do. I will say I would rather shoot heavy for caliber cast than a lighter boolit at fireball spitting high velocities. A 300 grainer or heavier in the 454 will out penetrate those light weight "laser light" zippers. Those hyper-velocity things scare the worms and make other shooters dig bunkers.
Mike in Peru

Yep. I own the 460 and I have shot 2-3000 rounds through it so far. When it broke for whatever reason, MR took care of me. Period. Accuracy? well I'm not great pistolero, so my gun does 6" at 100 yards with the barrel rested (floating butt). I can do that on command though, that's not an "on a good day" group. translates pretty well to 50 and 25 yard group sizes for me.

I also prefer heavy and slow to light and fast. I also prefer the pao ferro grips to the OEM's. I also prefer the LOOKS of iron sights but can't shoot them worth a darn on a pistol. Wish I could, I could ditch the ugly red dot. Also wish I could shoot better than 6" at 100, If I could do 2" on a good day, and 4" on command I'd be a happy camper.

All in all, awesome gun. I wish I could figure out a good way to carry it. Still working on that though.

lar45
08-08-2014, 12:34 AM
http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR-Holsters/Magnum-Research-Leather-Bandolier-Holster-75-Long-Cylinder.asp
Magnum research sells a nice leather bandolier holster. Mine did not want to work with the extra tall fiber optic front sight on my 500JRH, but works great with the regular sight on the 475.

Whiterabbit
08-08-2014, 12:39 AM
ive seen them all. not convinced that wont get in the way when I get into an ATV

Cornbread
08-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Cornbread,

Have you performed a poor-boy's trigger job (http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm) on your new BFR yet? It'll improve the trigger pull significantly. Mine could still use a bit of work, but it's far, far better than it was.

Thank you for that link! I did that to mine tonight and it's perfect for me pull wise, no creep, no grit. My son was shooting up some that he cast and reloaded from ingot to target all by himself tonight(he is 14) under my watchful eye of course but I didn't want to hog the gun on his first night of getting to shoot rounds he did himself from scratch. So I only shot 50 rounds tonight but 99% were in the bullseye and I fired most of them standing with no rest. We shot from 25 to 50 yards. I am very pleased with that piece of information you gave me. It really cleaned up the trigger to exactly where I would have had a smith take it to. I had never heard of doing that to a pistol until you showed me that link. I learn something new everyday.

Whiterabbit
08-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Not to detract from the poor boy's trigger job, but if you do that and you go from a wee bit of grit to no creep, no grit, then you are really close to where you need to be with a real trigger job anyways.

It's not that hard if that's all you have to do. Some 2000 grit wet-sand paper from a body shop on a plate of glass or a proper hard Arkansas stone. Few hours of polishing on the sear. You can't take off enough to get into trouble. Just takes a steady hand and common sense and you cannot fail.

Add that plus poor boy and your trigger is butter smooth.

Cornbread
10-27-2014, 04:31 PM
I shot this doe this morning on my "B" (antlerless) tag with the 454 BFR I bought after you all's input. One shot from 50 yards literally slammed her to the deck twitching. She never moved even a smidgen after that. Easiest tracking job of my life :) The bullet was a water dropped COWW in 260gr PB RNFP. Mold was made by NOE, it is a 255gr mold but my alloy seem to drop right at 260gr with it. The gun likes it, I can't complain. Powder was 4227, bullet speed I believe is around 1400fps but it could be 1500fps because I don't have my notebook in front of me to check for sure.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/AndyTheCornbread/IMG_6139_zps8fe1c639.jpg

Ramjet-SS
10-28-2014, 12:02 PM
I have the 30-30 10" and love the gun and I have owned many customs and high end expensive hunting handguns all of them while up to the task the best value is the BFR. I shoot a 170 over a good dose of Leverrevolution for some velocities of over 1800 FPS and outstanding accuracy. But the gun shoots everything from full house Jacketed and cast bullets all the way to low recoil or "no recoil " light cast bullet loads. Fine gun and for carrying it around I went with a Pistol Packaging Bandelior

Whiterabbit
10-28-2014, 12:04 PM
does your 30-30 sport a sight other than iron sights? red dot or optics?

Can you ride in an ATV with that bandolier?

Ramjet-SS
10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandito_Shoulder_Belt_p/bsb.htmYes it does very flexible setup and comfortable.

Whiterabbit
10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
do you know how it compares to the factory option? The price is comparable after adding in the shoulder belt.

Ramjet-SS
10-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Not really sure I had the shoulder rig I use this and a number of different holsters that just snap right on.

I can can say this it is quality rig and comfortable even with the heavy guns like my BFR.

44man
10-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Nice doe, good shot! But I need a red dot these days. Tried my scope on deer, never again, dim light and I could not see deer through it or the cross hairs. Then most shots are off hand and the cross hairs grew legs to run around like nuts.
I had a lot of trouble for a shoulder holster to fit my 10" 45-70 so I called Uncle Mikes and was told they don't make a holster for the BFR's. I found the TC super 14, scoped fits like a dream.

Whiterabbit
10-29-2014, 04:00 PM
I still dream of finding a sturday heads up style red dot to mount over the rear sight. the full barrel red dots just seem so bulky.

wish I could accurately shoot irons on the BFR. I dunno what it is about me that struggles with them.

44man
10-30-2014, 01:08 PM
I still dream of finding a sturday heads up style red dot to mount over the rear sight. the full barrel red dots just seem so bulky.

wish I could accurately shoot irons on the BFR. I dunno what it is about me that struggles with them.
Mount systems on the heads up sights are the problem, some have one screw. I broke a screw putting one on a gun, Very brittle and never got it tight. Tiny Allen wrench too.

Whiterabbit
10-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm actually having good luck with my bushnell TRS25. I had the same ocncern as it is held on by a single m3.5 screw. however, that m3.5 screw is stronger than the tiny screw that selects the reticle in a reticle-selectable ultradot.

Maybe the fixed dot ultradot is even better. But I do know that one m3.5 screw is stronger than the reticle dial of the UD4.

44man
10-30-2014, 02:34 PM
I would love smaller then the 30mm Ultra Dot but I am used to the larger tubes. I worry about rain and snow on the heads up too.

ole 5 hole group
10-30-2014, 03:55 PM
I would love smaller then the 30mm Ultra Dot but I am used to the larger tubes. I worry about rain and snow on the heads up too.

Not to worry Jim - the reflex sights weigh only a half ounce and they will take the recoil of any handcannon currently made with ease. Now as far as rain & snow - they (Aimpoint micro & Leupold DeltaPoint) come with a rubber cover that will keep the rain & snow at bay until you get ready to use it.

I haven't shot in heavy rain or snow conditions with my red dots but I think they would do just fine. Just purchase a couple spare covers, as if you are out and about in heavy cover they can come off - I don't know how, but my granddaughter lost one off a deltapoint, so I replaced that and have a spare.

They are still pretty expensive but Burris makes a good one, and I hear and the older models are priced right. Get one, you'll like it.

Ramjet-SS
10-30-2014, 09:10 PM
http://http://www.sightmark.com/sm26003.html

Sightmark makes a very reasonable priced one I have one on a 480 Ruger has held up to date the only complaint is the adjustments are finicky once I got it sighted in I put drop of blue locktite on the screws. they even have a green dot very easy to see in all conditions.

44man
10-31-2014, 10:18 AM
http://http://www.sightmark.com/sm26003.html

Sightmark makes a very reasonable priced one I have one on a 480 Ruger has held up to date the only complaint is the adjustments are finicky once I got it sighted in I put drop of blue locktite on the screws. they even have a green dot very easy to see in all conditions.
I would love green instead of red. As light changes, red has to be turned up more and more. I check all the time when hunting to see how far to click the light for conditions. I never leave it on and spin to the setting when a deer is seen.
I did call Bushnell about their reflex when I bought my .475 and asked about recoil, they said NO and I think it was about the mount.
I seen the Ultra Dot reflex shear screws too.
Then recoil from my .44 pulled the prisms out of cheap Bushnell, Millet and Tasco red dots. I had to steel bed the glass back in. The cheap glue from China would not hold.
Too see prices on the Trijicon's reaching $1200 to over $1800 is crazy. Reflex over $600 with a one screw mount! Then a red dot that uses ONE ring!
I have two Warne rings on my Ultra Dot on the .475 and had the gun twist under it so it got crooked. I use 3 Ultra Dot rings on the .500 JRH and they are holding.
The .475 is so fierce I steel bedded the base on the gun and used epoxy on the screws. Darn thing was always coming loose and shearing screws.

Ramjet-SS
10-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Well I have two Sightmarks one On a 458 SOCOM and have run well over 500 rounds through it not any issues that particular model will show green or red I like you love the green I do not see red very well. That's the Vortexx.

The he small ones in the link has held up on the 480.

pal82
03-19-2015, 01:11 PM

I Just got this sight from MR. You have to modify the gun to use it. The raised boss containing elevation screw threads on the frame has to be milled down. MR customer service told me to ship the gun in to have the sights installed. $45 for fitting, $40 for return shipping. I think I'll return the sights to MR.

Anybody know if the Bowen sight fits w/o mods to the gun? If so, can it be adjusted as low as the ruger sight? I need to be almost bottomed out with factory sights.

Abert Rim
04-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Nice job on the doe, Cornbread. Have a .454 BFR coming this weekend. Will run the Lee 300-grain boolit to start with.

Whiterabbit
04-21-2015, 06:16 PM
The .475 is so fierce I steel bedded the base on the gun and used epoxy on the screws. Darn thing was always coming loose and shearing screws.

I wish I paid closer attention to this earlier. I read "loose" and thought I understood. I've had bases come loose. I was wrong, I did not understand. My weigand base came off with the scope still attached under recoil. Hit me in the head. That's a way to end a range session....

happie2shoot
04-21-2015, 07:21 PM
I'm actually having good luck with my bushnell TRS25. I had the same ocncern as it is held on by a single m3.5 screw. however, that m3.5 screw is stronger than the tiny screw that selects the reticle in a reticle-selectable ultradot.

Maybe the fixed dot ultradot is even better. But I do know that one m3.5 screw is stronger than the reticle dial of the UD4.

How is the TRS25 holding up.
With my old eyes I can see it better than the U dot, it's brighter and cheaper too.

So far I have owned three of the old D mag BFRs and three of the newer BFRs,
the new ones are better than the D mag ones.

The nice thing about the new ones in 454 is you can size down 45-70 boolits and
the crimp grove is in a good place, around 1.825'', they have a longer cylinder
than the Ruger and the FA.

Whiterabbit
04-21-2015, 10:48 PM
the gun has been through some rough times and always comes back together. The TRS-25 has never had an issue. I don't use it anymore so it sits on the shelf, but it's as good as the day I bought it, waiting for another gun to put it on.

Maybe ill try it for fun on the 510 wells express. Pretty sure it'll survive just fine and keep on truckin'

The nice thing about the new ones in 454 is you can size down 45-70 boolits and
the crimp grove is in a good place, around 1.825'', they have a longer cylinder
than the Ruger and the FA.

You are killing me. the 3" cylinder is a bit much but it's nice to have some extra space for loading up the heavies. Sounds like they really nailed it with the short cylinder sizing. IMO 2" would be the perfect size for a big bore. But 1.85 is OK too, compromise to the 1.7" the Ruger is.