PDA

View Full Version : Modifiing Mould Guide on a Lyman Mag 20 Furnace

AZAKMS
05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
I picked up a used Lyman Mag 20 furnace in a trade and wanted to set up the Mould guide to take Lee 6 cavity moulds. I don't have ready access to a mill nor do I know how to use one. 2 and a half hours of careful filling I was able to open up the guide wide enough to accept the wider Lee aluminum moulds. I also had to relocate the stop plate in the back to let the mould go in further to get access to all 6 cavities by cutting off the back of the mould stop plate and drilling two holes further back on the guide.

I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before (I can't be the only one). I can post pictures if anyone wants to see.

monadnock#5
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM
I took the decidedly low tech approach. I don't use the guide as a guide, I use it as a rest. I lowered the guide down so that there was just enough room to slide a Lyman ingot mold underneath to catch the drips and over runs. When pouring, I hold the mould 90° to the guide/rest in my left hand and start with the cavity furthest from the hinge to closest.

This is not to say my way is better than yours. It's just one more way of turning a (by design) mostly useless item into something that's mostly useful.

wv109323
05-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I have several molds that would not fit into the channel of the Lyman mold guide. I took the mold guide apart and flipped the top part over and pop riveted it back to the mount. That left a flat surface for any width mold to rest on.

AZAKMS
05-07-2014, 01:21 AM
I thought about making an insert or flipping the guide over, but I liked the side rails and that they help "guide" the mould along the spout. Since I only have Lee moulds and if I get any Lyman moulds, my friend has an old Lyman Model 61 with the guides I can use if the opened up version doesn't work for me.
It's funny that there's just enough meat on the Lyman guide to take off enough on each side that the sides end up the same thickness (to the naked eye) as the bottom of the guide so it doesn't look jerry rigged.