PDA

View Full Version : Record grizzly

starmac
05-06-2014, 03:24 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/05/06/alaska-hunter-bags-world-record-grizzly-bear/?intcmp=latestnews

Alaska hunter bags world record grizzly bear

Larry Fitzgerald and some pals were moose hunting near Fairbanks, Alaska, when they came across fresh bear tracks in the snow. Three hours later, the auto body man had taken down the grizzly that left the prints, an enormous bruin that stood nearly 9 feet tall and earned Fitzgerald a place in the record books.

Although Fitzgerald shot the bear last September, Boone and Crockett, which certifies hunting records, has only now determined the grizzly, with a skull measuring 27 and 6/16ths inches, is the biggest ever taken down by a hunter, and the second largest grizzly ever documented. Only a grizzly skull found by an Alaska taxidermist in 1976 was bigger than that of the bear Fitzgerald bagged.

"I'm not really a trophy hunter, or anything. But I guess it is kind of cool."

- Larry Fitzgerald, on bagging world-record grizzly bear

"I'm not really a trophy hunter, or anything," Fitzgerald, 35, told FoxNews.com. "But I guess it is kind of cool."

Fitzgerald brought down the bear from 20 yards, with one shot to the neck from his Sako 300 rifle. He said he knew from the tracks he was on the trail of a massive grizzly, but only learned this week that he held a world record.

"We knew it was big," he said. "It was a rush."

Bears are scored based on skull length and width measurements, and Missouloa, Mont.-based Boone and Crockett trophy data is generally recognized as the standard. Conservationists use the data to monitor habitat, sustainable harvest objectives and adherence to fair-chase hunting rules.

Richard Hale, chairman of the Boone and Crockett Club's Records of North American Big Game committee, said it was unusual that such a massive grizzly would be taken near a a city.

"One would think that a relatively accessible area, with liberal bear-hunting regulations to keep populations in line with available habitat and food, would be the last place to find one of the largest grizzly bears on record," said Hale.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game instituted grizzly hunting regulations to help balance and control the bears' preying on moose. Although baiting is allowed under the regulations, Fitzgerald stalked his trophy.

Grizzlies are currently federally protected in the Lower 48 states under the Endangered Species Act, but thriving populations have prompted regulators to consider de-listing them, said Hale.

Smoke4320
05-06-2014, 03:35 PM
"I'm not really a trophy hunter, or anything," Fitzgerald, 35, told FoxNews.com. "But I guess it is kind of cool."
Ya think ! man I hope he had a rug made

thekidd76
05-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Ya think ! man I hope he had a rug made

Looks like he could just carpet his living room.

MaryB
05-07-2014, 12:49 AM
make a really cool coat... or two

missionary5155
05-07-2014, 02:16 AM
Good morning
At 9 feet probably could make matching coats. But they are heavy !

A missionary I know lives in N E Penn when up north. Three seasons back he was walking home after a no deer morning. 100 yards from the barn Steve saw a large shadowy moving something. He ducked into the woods edge and soon saw the head and shoulders of a huge black bear. At about 40 yards put a 140 grain caliber .270 through the chest. "Bang - Plop", Steve said. Largest black brear taken in his county. First year he bought a bear tag. First time he saw a bear on the family property.
Oh course I advised him how much faster and humane a caliber .30 would have done the job !

Mike in Peru

leftiye
05-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Yah, a .30 would've killed it much faster than "Bang, Plop!":kidding:

pdawg_shooter
05-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Yah, a .30 would've killed it much faster than "Bang, Plop!":kidding:

And it would have been much deader too.

TenTea
05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
And it would have been much deader too.

Years ago, I got razzed once for taking 2 shots to kill a deer and an old uncle said, "lead is lead, but dead is dead!"...

smokesahoy
05-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Yeah that monster would make a great rug in front of the hearth and a metric ton of sausage!

DR Owl Creek
05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Any way you look at it, that's a whole-lotta bear.

I read another article awhile back about a hunter this past season in Pennsylvania. He shot what was either a new Boone & Crocket record Blackie, or at least a record for Pennsylvania. I don't remember which anymore. It weighed over 600 lbs.

Seem to be growing them big still.

Dave

Matthew 24: 3-51

losttrail
05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
If only they knew how to spell Missoula.

leftiye
05-08-2014, 09:55 AM
The bear would come back to life?

Bad Water Bill
05-08-2014, 02:36 PM
I unfortunately listened to MR KNOW IT ALL Michael Savage last night.

"I am all for owning guns but see no reason for slaughtering defenseless animals just to prove your man hood.

Now that poor female and her young have lost the majestic dad and the food provider in their life so they will now starve to death he said."

The last time I checked that majestic bear was only a sperm donor and then walked away looking for something to eat.

If he is hungry ANYTHING including other bears make a tasty meal to him and he will eat the results of his donation as well as a deer or elk.

Warm or cold meat is meat to him.

But then what do I know because I am not a WORLD FAMOUS author and the greatest talk show personality to walk on this or any other planet.

OH yes what kind of a coward would have to get within 20 feet before murdering that majestic bear then call himself a sportsman?

It is a good thing he got his PHD in a biology lab and never stepped into the woods.

blackthorn
05-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Quote "It is a good thing he got his PHD in a biology lab and never stepped into the woods. "

Or maybe it is too bad he didn't! If he had maybe he could have gotten close up and personal with one of those cute cuddly bears.

starmac
05-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Makes one wonder what his thoughts would be on the lady that was killed by a bear in canada this week.

Hardcast416taylor
05-09-2014, 01:57 PM
DANGEROUS IS AS DANGEROUS DOES! The rule of thumb in Africa when you have dropped a cape Buff or lion or any other game animal that can put the hurts to you is "Shoot him (it) again and then again for good measure to be sure it is deceased"!Robert

AkMike
05-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Jest so you guys have an idea how big this bear is...

Here's a 10 1/2" Brownie from Kodiak Island.