PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga squirrel/deer load

psychicrhino
05-05-2014, 10:59 PM
could a fella load a 3in shell with three triple ougt buckshot and top the remainder with six shot? Woods are thick where I hunt and not uncommon to kick up deer while walk hunting squirrels and vice versa. I was just thinking about the deer I'd killed as a youth with a 410 w three buckshot. As well as the rabbits and squirrels id killed w a 410 with six shot. Trying to think of a good reason why this would not work during these situations. Please dont flame me, just looking for informed feedback. I am sure I am mssing something.

6pt-sika
05-05-2014, 11:20 PM
I used to shoot Duplex turkey loads , so I don't think the concept absurd .

However shooting 2's & 4's or 4's & 6's are probably alot easier to keep from blowing the pattern versus 00 Buck flying thru #4 or #6 shot .

Worse come to worse load you up several of whatever you like and try them on paper at say 25 and 40 yards . Worse case scenario you might be out of a little time and money . But on the other hand you may have something that'll work for you .

BattleRife
05-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Remington Duplex loads were loaded small shot on the bottom, larger shot on top. The larger pellets will retain velocity better, and you want them out front or they will have to pass through the string of smaller shot as that slows down, theoretically blowing the pattern.

beagle
05-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Interesting concept. Maybe a card wad between large and small shot. Caution though. Label them things. Several years back I was in front of my dove stand in a big dove shoot and picked up a wad that had definitely been used for buckshot out of my gun. Not cool at all in a crowded dove field. Keep us posted./beagle

petroid
05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
How do you keep the 00 from hitting the squirrel? Might not be much left to take home...

6pt-sika
05-06-2014, 11:18 PM
How do you keep the 00 from hitting the squirrel? Might not be much left to take home...

Thats when you say s...h...i...t happens :lol:

DLCTEX
05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Beagle, that reminds me of seeing my German Shepard bust a flock of turkeys in the yard and several flew into a big elm. I grabbed a couple 12 GA reloads from a box I'd written #2 on and shot two. One flew to a second tree and took another shot to put it down. Later I saw that the shells were marked #9 with a Sharpie. Sure enough that was the size of the shot in their heads.

shadowcaster
05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree that the smaller shot would be best on the bottom. Also, make sure the total weight of the different size shot is proper weight for the load. Just my 2 cents.

Shad

05-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Make sure that your final throw weight is in spec for the load.

beagle
05-07-2014, 09:37 PM
That's not too bad but my screw up could have been disastrous./beagle

Beagle, that reminds me of seeing my German Shepard bust a flock of turkeys in the yard and several flew into a big elm. I grabbed a couple 12 GA reloads from a box I'd written #2 on and shot two. One flew to a second tree and took another shot to put it down. Later I saw that the shells were marked #9 with a Sharpie. Sure enough that was the size of the shot in their heads.

Hogtamer
05-07-2014, 10:19 PM
If I saw a squirrel sitting on a deer's back I'd think you had a pretty good combo - maybe get a 2 - for - 1! Other than that, that's about the strangest combination of shot I've ever heard!! 2s and 4s or 4s and 6s work pretty well together but I would suggest not trying to reinvent the wheel with your loads. Load with a specific target in mind and all will be well...

Mk42gunner
05-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Before I went too far with this idea, I would find out if it is legal to shoot a deer with birdshot in your state. It isn't that hard to change the shell in the chamber without spooking a deer, unless you really kick them out of their beds.

I have never done it, but I have been told by reliable sources that a 12 ga with #6 field loads will kill a deer from a full choked single shot.

Stay safe, and legal (much cheaper that way).

Robert

375RUGER
05-08-2014, 12:44 AM
FWIW I'd go with one of these 2 options:
Drilling-self explanatory
or
Double barrel shotgun with double triggers or selector trigger. Put the buck in one barrel and the shot in the other.

mongoosesnipe
05-08-2014, 08:50 PM
I have done it with lead shot as an experiment before trying it with steel my dad wanted a load he could use for both duck and high flying goose I loaded 1oz #4 shot with two layers of 4buck on top to simulate a t shot as I did not have steel components laying around

They worked ok but the buck patten was very random and widely dispersed throughout the pattern and I deemed a fruitless effort as there were not enough buck pellets to be effective within the pattern putting a shot card inbetween the buck and shot may help personally I would just hunt one animal at a time other options would include having a bird shot in the chamber and a buckshot after and remember to rack the gun before you shoot, the double barrel option as mentioned earlier

Or you could have shotgun in hand and a 44 or the like on the hip

psychicrhino
05-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I was just wondering outloud I guess mostly. I have no doubt I will try it at some point. I do have a double barrel but prefer to hunt with my od beat up maverick 12. Won it at a gun show on a 3 tries for a dollar raffle ticket when I was 18 and have killed most things that run, fly or slither round here with it. I have squirrel hunted for years with high brass 6s backed by 00 buck or buck in my pocket or other combos. I guess that 000 buck is appx. .360 or about a 75 gr round ball. I bet lots of squirrels have been killed with round balls. Guess I can get some cardboard and check it out. Thanks again.

PsychicRhino

WRideout
05-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Buck and ball used to be a common load for muskets in the Revolutionary days; for massed troops it did pretty well. It sounds like what you really want is a Savage 24 O/U with the .22/20 ga combo.

Wayne

Combat Diver
05-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Another reason I like my SxS double hammer/double trigger shotgun for mixed game. Good luck in your search.

CD

brstevns
05-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Can't use buck shot here Missouri! Have to use a slug. But I love your idea.