PDA

View Full Version : Eye protection...always!

rbstern
05-05-2014, 08:31 PM
I've occasionally been guilty of taking off my shooting glasses on a hot, steamy day, when my lenses got fogged up. Not very often, but when the conditions are making accurate shooting tough.

I'll never do it again.

Yesterday, I was shooting my S&W 2206. The rear sight has been a problem for a while on this gun. The screw holding the adjustable rear leaf to the slide kept working loose. I had tried Locktite a while back, but it just wasn't holding. So I would tighten it once or twice during a session as the gun heated up and the screw started to work loose.

I had just tightened the screw, walked to my firing position, and started shooting at my target. Next thing I know, the rear sight comes flying off the gun, and hits me right in the right lens of my glasses. Hit hard enough to leave a series of scratches in the lens, directly in front of the pupil. The rear sight screw had sheared off.

Don't know if I would have lost my eye. Certainly would have been at least a scratched cornea.

The gun will be heading back to S&W this week for service, as they'll need to extract the shaft of that tiny screw from the slide. Looking at parts diagrams from Numrich, they apparently added a bushing to the sight screw in later production models, presumably to spread the recoil force to a broader surface and take some pressure off that tiny screw.

So, friends...shooting glasses...always!

country gent
05-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I always have saftey glasses on as I wear glasses all the time and all Il buy are hardened and tempered saftey glass lenses along with the heavier frames. Im past being fashionable and have seen heard of to many eye injuries during everyday activities. I dont have side shields on but Im still ahead of the game.

koehlerrk
05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Up until last summer I just wore my prescription glasses, but I always got the polycarbonate lenses (safety lenses).
Last year I started wearing contacts, and I put shooting glasses in my range box. My dad always said "You've only got two eyes, and they don't grow back."

Hammerhead
05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Glad you're OK.
I've been wearing my regular glasses, but I think it's time to get my real safety glasses with side shields upgraded to my new prescription.

foesgth
05-21-2014, 09:36 PM
I got safety glass made to my prescription @ zenni optical (http://www.zennioptical.com/?gclid=CJXo-uqxvr4CFZRhfgod-nMAoQ). They work great and were only about $60.