PDA

View Full Version : WOW! What A Difference !

monadnock#5
05-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Back when PID's for the common man was first discussed, I bemoaned the fact that there was no one out there building controllers for the hobby market. In the years since, there have been several PID sellers, but for whatever reason I didn't buy. This, as it turns out was a big mistake. I would have been much better off buying PID's instead of moulds, or guns for that matter.

I bought a PID from kyle623. Received it the middle of last week, and used it over the weekend. I am absolutely astounded at the difference a controller makes. I have never made so many bright, shiny, slightly frosted (710°F) with perfect fillout in one session since I started casting! It would typically overshoot 15°F from a cold start and then settle into a +/-5°F temp swing. I'm told this will get better, but I don't care as it's perfect as is, without any improvements.

With the rapid increase in productivity brought about by my new controller, I foresee the need for a commensurate technological breakthrough in my lubesizing techniques. Thank you Kyle!

Beagle333
05-05-2014, 07:45 PM
The PID just completely changes the game..... for the better. IMHO. :D

monadnock#5
05-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Yes indeed Beagle, I thought a hot plate for prewarming molds and ingots was a game changer, and it was. The PID beats it though, by a fair margin!

Mike W1
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm guessing my PID lets me cast a good 100° cooler than I used to. It also let me calibrate my stem thermometer in the 600° range which is now useful for smelting. Testing some new alloy this weekend and using 2 moulds, one wouldn't produce good bullets. Raised the temperature 10° and viola that mould produced beauties also. I don't think the higher priced furnaces can do, unless they're also controlled by a PID. My Lee rarely varies by more than ±2 ° now.

Doc Highwall
05-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I will not cast bullets now without one as I have been spoiled. My old thermometer is sticking out of a piece of scrap aluminum on top of a hot plate so I know the preheat temperature of my moulds and replenishment alloy.

Cane_man
05-06-2014, 12:09 PM
i agree, the PID is totally worth the investment IMO, but i think everyone should try and ladle cast just so they can appreciate the controller

Smoke4320
05-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Yes a PID has made casting far easier for me.. in most cases I am getting +/- 1 grain difference in 325 to 500 grain Bullets and usually around 1 grain total in 200 gr and less bullets.
did a test about a month ago on a new mold cast 4 different sessions (100 to 300 bullets at a session) over 5 days (so I have some changes in air temp and humidity) all 4 batches came out the same weights with a total of 1 grain difference hi to low
would have a very difficult time casting without a PID now .. everything is just so much more consistent

monadnock#5
05-06-2014, 07:59 PM
i agree, the PID is totally worth the investment IMO, but i think everyone should try and ladle cast just so they can appreciate the controller

If I'd had a PID when I first started casting, I might have been able to make friends with the ladle. As it was, complete and total frustration ruled the day. Now I'm spoiled. I wait until the indicated temp hits 5°F under the target and it's off to the races with my BP pot.

Beagle333
05-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I love my ladle. I have 3 BP pots and I put stainless washers and bolts in all 3 and made em ladle-only. :mrgreen:
(and drip-free!):twisted:

birddog
05-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Sweet words to hear as I have a new master pot coming with PID controller. Looking forward to some great casting.
Charlie

AbitNutz
05-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm just waiting for Kyle to send me a PID. Mine died. Maybe he can fix it and I'll have two. As I have two pots it should work out just peachy.

Garyshome
05-08-2014, 10:47 PM
All right I will finally build my own PID...I have most of the stuff here already, just need a case.

jmorris
05-08-2014, 11:53 PM
My first use for a PID was to control temp on my smoker. This is it.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?191870-different-kind-of-reloading-using-a-PID-control

If the wind is still and the fire is just coals it will maintain temps of tenths of a degree.

If you have one that was made in the last 10 years or more, I bet it has an auto tune mode that will save you a lot of time vs figuring out how the P, I and D settings actually effect what you get out of it.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-09-2014, 10:24 AM
I built my PID a few weeks ago Still trying to interpret the interpreted Chinese instructions.
One of these days I'll get to try it out

hickfu
05-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Who is Kyle and how much does he charge for a PID?

Doc

Bzcraig
05-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Who is Kyle and how much does he charge for a PID?

Doc

Enquiring minds want to know.

AbitNutz
05-11-2014, 12:49 PM
This should help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236026-PID-for-sale

monadnock#5
05-11-2014, 01:22 PM
This will likewise be helpful:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?186033-Kyle623

blikseme300
05-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I went the PID route as I built my own pots. Looking back I am puzzled at how I managed without one before? If I had to start over for casting the top of my list will be a PID. I got all of my parts from Auber Instruments and every penny was worth it.

kyle623
05-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Here is my video on the PID'S I sell for those interested. I also make other things as well. this is my vendor thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?241440-PID-S-now-available&p=2775441#post2775441

dikman
05-12-2014, 06:09 AM
I built my PID a few weeks ago Still trying to interpret the interpreted Chinese instructions.
One of these days I'll get to try it out

JIm, what model PID do you have?

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Its the "MyPin" model referenced here several times.
Its not so much that I cant figure it out, its that I haven had time to try.
I did find the "manual" posted here and it helps, I just really, don't understand there
isn't ANYONE who can write instructions anymore for ANYTHING?
arggggg!

dikman
05-15-2014, 08:03 AM
I've got manuals/instructions for a few different brands, mainly to try and help me understand how these things work! It sort of helped a bit, but I've come to the conclusion that many of the "adjustments" possible aren't relevant to my needs. The alarms I turn off, as I see absolutely no need whatsoever for them, and this gets rid of quite a few settings!

Some of these manuals seem to assume one already has a working knowledge of the device!

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Some of these manuals seem to assume one already has a working knowledge of the device!

Exactly! its like they assume you where one of the engineers that built the dang thing.
And, why are they called "alarms" they aint alarms, alarms make noise when something happens :mrgreen: