PDA

View Full Version : Long term curing for birds?

SciFiJim
05-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Is there a method of storing birds (quail, pheasant, dove, etc) for long term storage other than cooking, deboning and pressure canning the meat? Can they be smoked like a ham, or dried like jerky? If so, do you have a recipe?

MaryB
05-05-2014, 12:52 AM
There are bird jerky recipes on the net, make sure you use a cure but it will still require freezing to store any length of time. Canning is the only long term storage method I know that works well.

nhrifle
05-05-2014, 06:46 PM
The Egyptians came up with a method that worked and has stood the test of time, recipe available in many history texts. :kidding:

mikeym1a
05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
the egyptians came up with a method that worked and has stood the test of time, recipe available in many history texts. :kidding:

boo!!!!!!!!!!!! Hiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MT Gianni
05-05-2014, 10:27 PM
I saw a cooking show that had a french old time method that basically stored cooked duck, well salted in a crock full of duck fat. You were to ensure that there was at least 2" of fat over any piece of meat. Dig it out through the fat, rinse and reheat. I think it would be far easier and tastier to keep birds in a pen and eat them fresh.

MaryB
05-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Duck Confeit, it is a storage method but not long term.

SciFiJim
05-05-2014, 11:20 PM
I saw a cooking show that had a french old time method that basically stored cooked duck, well salted in a crock full of duck fat. You were to ensure that there was at least 2" of fat over any piece of meat. Dig it out through the fat, rinse and reheat. I think it would be far easier and tastier to keep birds in a pen and eat them fresh.

That reminds me of something I read in Swiss Family Robinson many years ago where they packed birds in barrels with butter poured over them.