PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like leading?

Utah Shooter
05-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Sorry just getting started and wanted to make sure I am close. I am using lee 124 gr 6 cavity 9mm with 3:1 pb:lino water dropped. This is after 5 shots and there seems to be more than the photos show. Is this leading our too much lube?

Bzcraig
05-04-2014, 11:23 PM
What happens when you run a patch through it?

Dan Cash
05-04-2014, 11:39 PM
#1 sure looks like leading. Put some turpentine on a patch which is as tight as you can bump through the bore and the lead will come out. May take 3 or 4 patches.

Cmm_3940
05-05-2014, 12:27 AM
#3 looks sort of like maybe the boolit is not seated deep enough and is shaving lead on the chamber.

gray wolf
05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
It would help us a lot if you said what was done to the barrel as far as cleaning goes, before you took the picture. To me, a lot of what is in the picture looks proud of the barrel steel as apposed to being ironed into it.

petroid
05-05-2014, 07:35 PM
I'd say run a dry patch to remove any loose powder fouling and let's have another look

leeggen
05-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Run a patch and see if it is powder/lube residue. Looks like it could be just residue, cause you can see it at the step in the barrel.
CD

Utah Shooter
05-06-2014, 07:58 PM
#3 looks sort of like maybe the boolit is not seated deep enough and is shaving lead on the chamber.

Not seated deep enough into the case?

It would help us a lot if you said what was done to the barrel as far as cleaning goes, before you took the picture. To me, a lot of what is in the picture looks proud of the barrel steel as apposed to being ironed into it.

I did not do a thing to the barrel. "proud" not sure what that means!

gray wolf
05-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Proud means standing tall, as in higher than the barrel steel, the particles in your barrel look like debre that is loose and just hanging there. Most times leading has an ironed on ( pressed in look )
If you did nothing to the barrel then run a patch or two through it and take another look and another Pic. Could be a little leading there, but if the barrel has not had a patch or two through it then it can be hard to tell.

Utah Shooter
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
so I could not find any patches. I ended up using a paper towel once through.

gray wolf
05-07-2014, 07:24 PM
you own guns, you shoot said guns, how do you clean them without any patches ?
Do you have any solvent ? brushes? (= more than one,) chore boy, 0000 steel wool ?
Have you ever truly cleaned a firearm ? Let me ask, what do you think the crud in your barrel is ?
Stay tuned I am sure help is on the way. We will get you all straightened out.

petroid
05-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Old tshirts are my patches of choice. cut to about 1 inch square. possible leading near muzzle. run a wet patch then a dry and see what it looks like. then brush several strokes with a bronze brush. if it persists it's lead and you need some chore boy. it may just be powder fouling and come right out. lead at the muzzle indicates running out of lube. how are your boolits lubed?

Utah Shooter
05-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the hazing Wolf. [smilie=s:

Old tshirts are my patches of choice. cut to about 1 inch square. possible leading near muzzle. run a wet patch then a dry and see what it looks like. then brush several strokes with a bronze brush. if it persists it's lead and you need some chore boy. it may just be powder fouling and come right out. lead at the muzzle indicates running out of lube. how are your boolits lubed?

That is what I use as well. Just getting the reloading room in the newish house in order and cannot find what I did with them. I used Alox to lube them.

jimb16
05-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Old Tees seem to be a standard. I use them too.

Shiloh
05-07-2014, 08:54 PM
I'd say run a dry patch to remove any loose powder fouling and let's have another look

Yep.

Shiloh

tg32-20
05-07-2014, 09:35 PM
My mother-in-law lives with us and will only sleep on flannel sheets, I have a lifetime supply of cleaning patches. Cut up into squares and dipped into Ed's red solvent I can clean up just about anything. If it takes more to remove lead, which I do not remember the last I had to use it, there is always a little wrap of Choryboy around the cleaning brush.
Lead is an inevitability in life, sooner or later you are going to have to deal with it! It is no big deal.

tg32-20

gray wolf
05-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the hazing Wolf.
Nothing bad meant by it Joe, :drinks::2_high5: Ya just had me wondering for a Second.

Clean it up and happy shooting.

Utah Shooter
05-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Nothing bad meant by it Joe, :drinks::2_high5: Ya just had me wondering for a Second.

Clean it up and happy shooting.

I know. I just have this personality if it is staring me dead in the face I am still hesitant. I'm a dummy.

Anyway I will get some solvent with a patch then put up some photos.

tomme boy
05-07-2014, 11:05 PM
What does the barrel measure?

What are you sizing to?

What lube are you using?

What is the load you are using?

Are you using a Lee FCD?

Answer these then we can help you to not get leading anymore.

bpage
05-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Just curious... have any of you tried Powder Coating your cast bullets? Been doing this for quite some time. Better accuracy, able to increase velocity and much less leading of my barrels. bp

Cmm_3940
05-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Just curious... have any of you tried Powder Coating your cast bullets? Been doing this for quite some time. Better accuracy, able to increase velocity and much less leading of my barrels. bp

Nope, no one here does that. [smilie=1:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

Welcome to the forum. :)

Utah Shooter
05-10-2014, 01:48 AM
I actually just caught that last week before I posted the thread. Now I'm looking into it and perhaps that would be the way to go.