PDA

View Full Version : Get back too the basics?

bearcove
05-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Today I wish I was out in the bush with my 35 Whelen and my 44 on my hip.

I want to give each of my kids a rifle and a pistol. I have 4. But I wonder if maybe they should get their own.

The hard part is parting with the extra stuff, its not a lot but I feel it is holding me back. How do you feel about providing for your kids needs that they don't know they might have. You can't go to the gunshop and buy a JM 30-30 or 35 Rem. They seem more interested in a Ipad than a Marlin. Trying to hold on to stuff I think they will need is hard when they aren't very interested.

We are a very materialistic society and I am part of this. But I have limited resources.

Some days I wonder why I need more than one rifle to hunt with. It is just a tool. I feel I should be doing something
out there not sorting stuff in the shop.

I feel a need to get back to the basics and get back too living.

And doing.

PS might be selling some stuff

BC

DeanWinchester
05-04-2014, 11:18 PM
One of many, many reasons I don't have any. 13 years being married and neither of us want any. I can't imagine having to deal with divvying up MY stuff.

I don't have much credibility to be giving advice, but I say let them get their own. If they're not interested, don't waste your limited resources trying to provide something they'll only sell to buy the newest iteration of Apple products.

starmac
05-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Well I have given my son two rifles, a shotgun and a 44, the 44 is actually the grandsons, for him to care for until the time he needs it. I have my grandsons rifles and shotgun put back. I have given several cousins and nephews their first rifle. When a kid is in school or starting out with a family gun money is sometimes pretty tight. My parents gave me my first shotgun at age 9, and my uncle gave me my first rifle at age 15 or 16, and I still have it, it too will go to my son when I can no longer use it.

The rest are like a savings account, that I get to play with.

Huskerguy
05-04-2014, 11:33 PM
bearcove - it is interesting that you bring this up. My good friend at the other end of the state and I were talking about all of our guns and reloading stuff. He has way more than I do and his son lives on the place. My two kids shoot but don't own their own firearms. I look around my basement and ask myself why I have all of this stuff. My wife is going to have a mess on her hands sorting through all of the reloading parts making certain all the right pieces go with the right press. Then there are the guns. I told my kids they could divide them up and I try to have one or two of each - like 4 357's, 2 AR's, etc. I also told them that I might need the money someday and have to sell them first so they would be out of luck. I am only 60 but already ask myself why sometimes. I guess the answer is I enjoy it but eventually I will need to cut back.

Blammer
05-04-2014, 11:39 PM
If they are interested they will find a way to get what they want, just like the rest of us.

Mumblypeg
05-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't have any. I have two nieces . One may get something if she wants it and she has a son. The other...I don't think she is worthy.... Siblings if they want something but they are not in to guns like I am. Most will go to friends or be sold. I would rather give to some one who really appreciates them..... now don't you guys get any ideas now.....

starmac
05-04-2014, 11:49 PM
I guess it all depends on the kid. If they wouldn't keep and use it, or they weren't deserving, I guess they would have to get their own or do without. My kids worked for what they needed or wanted, starting at a young age, it doesn't hurt me any to help out with some things that are not something they have to have. If I thought they wouldn't use or appreciate it, then I would sell it or give it to someone that would.

HollandNut
05-05-2014, 12:55 AM
If they are not interested , then I would not give/leave it to them ..

My brother just turned 65 , I am 57 .. Of all the siblings and cousins in our generation , he and I are the only ones still shooting or hunting .. I have told him , and have it on paper , that if I pass before him all my firearms and related stuff is his at no charge ..

I have two nephews that shoot/hunt , never see one and occasionally see the other .. Jury is out on them getting the stuff ..

Going to basics is pretty easy .

Seven years ago TODAY as a matter of fact , our house burned to the ground , we lost everything , including a lifes collection of firearms and related paraphernalia .. Upon recovering ( ya never do , but close as I'll get ) , I vowed never again will I have so many firearms ..

I bought one rifle and one revolver ..

After the fire I was given one shotgun , one rifle , one revolver and one pistol ..

Life is much simpler now ..

gray wolf
05-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Not to much for me to add as I have some mixed feelings about the whole post.
Perhaps because as to how it was written or my reading skills may not be up to par.

So I will just say this if you can get my drift.

I would hesitate to give an Eskimo an Ice cube,
but I would go out of my way to give a thirsty man a drink.

Goatwhiskers
05-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Funny I was just thinking about this topic over the last couple of days. My son hunts, even gets me to load for him sometimes, but doesn't "have time" to sit down with me and learn about it. Has no interest in my small collection. My daughter is a nurse in another state, unmarried, no tricycle motors either way tho the son is married. I'm near 70 and wondering what I will do with my stuff. Probably will start thinking about thinning things down pretty soon. GW

bearcove
05-05-2014, 07:54 PM
The opportunity to shoot now is diminished, When I was a kid I had a pelet gu and shot as many cowbirds and starlings as I wanted. Both invasive species. 22s took a lot of squirrels and rabbits, groundhogs around the barn were fair game, now my kids can't do that.

dragon813gt
05-05-2014, 07:57 PM
W/ a baby boy due at the end of the month I will be facing this question one day. I'm hoping it's just a question of which ones to give him. The stepdaughter is all about shooting at this point. But she turns 16 in three years so we will see if she remains interested when she is able to drive herself around. Hopefully I won't have to liquidate them due to no interest. But if I do I'm sure there will be a forum in the Internet full of people that love firearms. So they will either stay in the family or find their way into someone else's loving care.

histed
05-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Yeah - guess as you get older you think more about "legacy." I have two daughters and fantastic son-in-law. For reason I won't go into, there will never be grandkids. I was just looking at yet another firearm this weekend and then I asked myself "why?" Neither daughter hunts, though both shoot well, and my rifles are all left-handed anyway. Already told the kids they can divvy up whatever's left when I'm gone, but, if I can't enjoy it, I'm not buying it for someone else. Your opinion my vary, and that's OK. :smile:

GOPHER SLAYER
05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I have been interested in guns all my life but whatever it is that made me that way, I didn't pass it on to my kids and that includes my son. I have belonged to gun clubs since 1959 and have known many shooters who have left the range and I have seen the same drama played out over and over. The kids usually come in, scoop up the guns Pop had and rush down to the local pawn/gun shop and ask one question, how much. Often the reloading gear is put out in yard sale at a fraction of it's worth. One shooting friend passed away and his widow called and asked if I would help her sell hubby's guns. After getting to her house she confided to me that she had given serious consideration to rapping the guns in rags and placing them in the bottom of the trash barrel. I priced the guns,[mostly S&W revolvers] at a price that would make them sell without much delay and I told her I could bring people to look at them. I brought one friend and he bought a 357. I had others lined up when her daughter swooped in, gathered up mom and guns and headed for the closest gun shop. I'm a fine one to talk. I couldn't tell you how many rifles or pistols I have without counting and making a list. I just hate the idea of all the hassle involved in selling guns in this state.

dragon813gt
05-05-2014, 08:29 PM
No matter how small or large your collection of firearms/tooling is. Make a list w/ their values. If you do this as you go along it's not a daunting task. I have done this because the people they are willed to don't have a clue about their value. This includes all my trade tools. W/ a list of values and what they are they are somewhat informed when they go to sell it. Wether they choose to use the list or not is up to them.

Love Life
05-05-2014, 08:41 PM
I have guns that I enjoy. I buy them for ME, and if the kids want them when I'm dead then coolbeans. The kids can have them when I croak. If they don't want them, then they can hock them off to buy something they want. I wont care because I'll be worm food. That's my thought on it.

I also have an inventory list with the current value of what I own, and I update it yearly. This way the wife and/or kids at least know how much to sell them for. I'm just not big into legacy when it comes to firearms. My kids can have whatever of my guns they want, at anytime (when they are of legal age) they want.

wallenba
05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Know what you mean about amassing 'stuff'. I always wanted things when I was younger. Now that I'm older and have a lot, I look for ways to thin the inventory. I gave a rifle each to my sister and brother in law recently, as well as an old single shot open bolt .22 to a friends grandson. I have things in the garage I'm sure will never be used again. I'm too lazy, and suspicious, to deal with strangers coming to the house to buy stuff I would advertise. I was just pondering the idea of donating an eight inch Celestron telescope to the local high school. Wanted to give a bicycle to the neighbors kid, as his dad just backed over his old one. His dad said NO, he's being punished. Ad infinitum

country gent
05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Im holding several guns for my kids already. They were thier Moms before she passed away. I also plan on them getting one or two of mine each. The most cherished firearms I have have been passed down for generations. My grandmothers fathers rifles and a shotgun. They are hierlooms and when gets a rare range trip its always enjoyable. Im hoping my 3 children look at it the same as we do in the family. I have also bought the grandsons first rifle a Stevens favorite is 22 long rifle, as near as I can tell made around 1925 or so. It very clean and that little single shot falling block is a ball to shoot. Memories can be a powerfull thing, and when Im gone Im hoping when they think of me they can get "Dads" rifle out and be reminded.

richhodg66
05-05-2014, 09:23 PM
I have two sons, one who is real interested in guns and the other who is moderately interested, likes to shoot and even hunt to some degree.

I have a lot of guns and reloading stuff. Some I haven't shot in a while, some have sentimental value. There are a few I'd like to see my sons have but for the most part, I really don't care what happens to my stuff when I pass. I have guns I like simply because I like them for some reason or other, most don't have much collector value.

I'm kind of the same way with motorcycles, it seems. I have several now, the dfference is, those require some maintenance and money for registration and such even if I'm not using them, the guns aren't eating anything. I probably should pare down some of the junk I own and don't use much, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Ajax
05-06-2014, 05:11 AM
I am a simple man i have simple guns and needs. I have a 30-30 and 30-06 a 9mm pistol and soon to be a 12 ga shotgun thats all I feel i need.

Andy

woodsxdragon
05-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Dad is a huge hunter and a major collector. He has purchased almost guns that could be used for hunting. Me? The only hunting I do is varmints on my back part of my property and occasionally small game. Deer and turkey never had much allure to me. What i do like is shooting targets. So i've been collecting and shooting. Dad never reloaded. Dad never cast. He had some friends did but he never saw the cost benefit because the stuff he shot was plentiful and cheap. Dad started me out with some guns. remington 870, s&w 669, Mosin nagant, sks, and a mossberg bolt action 16ga. Me i have tastes in odd calibers for my location apparently. 45-70, 45lc, 300blk, etc. i've got "cowboy" guns, evil black guns, and everything inbetween. If/when I find the ammo it's so overpriced I laugh and walk away which is what started me into loading and then casting.
I also love playing with electronics. I have a smart phone attached at the hip (which has some awesome ballistic apps) and I have been known to sit down with friends and play xbox all night. I also do other hobbies like wine making and metal detecting. all things to keep me ocupied on my down time instead of working a third job cause for me money isn't everything.
If i was more of a hunter like some of my coworkers and didn't consider collecting guns a hobby then i'm sure i'd have about 5 guns total. Shotgun, revolver, semi auto, bolt rifle, and a rimfire becuase it seems like thats all they need.

Char-Gar
05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I have a daughter and a son, both of which like guns and shoot. I have given them both 4 or 5 guns each over the years. I will leave them another 2 or 3 each which I have made from scratch. The rest, I will sell off or let me widow dispose of.

Both of my kids have done very well and can buy and sell me every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

7br
05-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Hmmm, my father passed away last fall. My mother likes to fish, but hasn't hunted since the five of us kids came along. She said she did not "Need all of the guns", so she let us divvy up what she didn't think she would use. Each of us kids got to choose a firearm and several of the nieces and nephews did too. Each one of us chose a firearm for different reasons. I am hoping to get the argentine mauser I chose up and running in time for a niece to use deer hunting this fall. If I fall on hard times, it will be the second to the last firearm I sell and then it will only go to a family member. My parents bought me a Mossberg 500 for my 14th birthday. I dealt it away for a 870 and do not regret it a bit. I guess my point is that letting your kids chose what they want is probably the way to go. If they show interest, make sure they have good stuff to train on, but do not be surprised if they don't become attached to it.

As for a firearm being "Just a tool", I felt that way about the Mossberg. It rattled and the CLect choke would fill up with plastic from the wads. I took a bunch of squirrels and rabbits with it, but it never really got into my blood. As for the Mauser, it was always in my folk's closet and is one of my touchstone memories. Dad always wanted to get a deer, but it never seemed to work out. The mauser represented that dream to him and it just seems fitting to let my niece have the opportunity get her first deer with it. Sorry about the rambling. I guess as I get older, I get more nostalgic.

Blacksmith
05-06-2014, 08:47 PM
My son likes shooting and over the years I have given him a number guns. He in turn has past the love of shooting to my two grandsons and I have given each of them a starter rifle, when older each got a quality target rifle, and last Christmas each got a cap and ball revolver. Now when I get guns I try to get two comparable ones so some day the grandsons wont fight over who gets what.

HollandNut
05-07-2014, 12:46 AM
waning nostalgic is an OK thingy , I used to think folks my age now were a half breath way from the grave ..

If ya REALLY want to get back to basics , take a lesson from 'Lefty' ( Warren Page ) , although he owned more than one firearm , the vast majority of his hunting exploits were done with one rifle through his entire career ..

mjwcaster
05-07-2014, 02:28 AM
Hopefully it won't be an issue for me for many more years, but I think my daughter will take my collection.
She is 8 and still ticked at me for not getting a old colt single action 22 we looked at last year. Only had money for 1 gun and needed the double action revolver for class, the colt was just in too nice a condition for the age to get beat up in my classroom.
She loved it though and as we were driving away asked me how much it cost. I told her he was asking $400 for it, but if she smiled real nice he might drop the price.
She then asked me how much money that was (she understands money much better now) and I told her it was enough to buy the Xbox she wanted plus extra games and controllers.
Then I asked her if she would rather have the Xbox or the revolver and without hesitation she answered 'the gun, dad'
I asked why, since she didn't even like shooting her moms 22 handgun (she does like 22 rifles) and she said that she would like to learn.
We have seen the same gun for sale a time or two and I think I will have to get her one someday.
Funny thing is our friends have 4 kids and the daughter is the shooter in the family, got mad last time at the range because the rifle range was closed for the 3 gun shoot we were there for.
She wanted to shoot the AR. Ended up on the pistol range shooting a 22, she was happy.
My daughter thought she wasn't going to be able to shoot that day, so spent the whole time up at the play ground with her friends, was kind of disappointed when she found out she could have shot, but knows we can go back anytime.

I would be happy to leave either of these girls my guns, knowing that they love them and would use them.

And my daughter understands 'Gun Law', you can only sell a gun to buy other guns.

Matt

schutzen
05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm like mjwcaster, I hope this will not be an issue for a number of years. However, as each of my children has grown up and left home I gave each of them firearms. The boys are avid hunters and shooters, while the girls shoot but are not into nearly as much. The boys each received two shotguns (12 & 20), a lever action rifle (choice of caliber), a .22 rifle, a .22 pistol, and a .40 caliber pistol. The girls each received a .22 pistol and a 9mm pistol of their choice. The older one has married and her husband is also into hunting. I have made sure he has plenty to hunt with without denting a young families budget and I intend to do the same for the youngest daughter's husband if she finds one and if he is a hunter/shooter. The enjoyment I get from family hunting/shooting outings far outweighs the cost of the firearms. Several of my grandchildren are reaching the age they are becoming interested in shooting/hunting. Grandpa intends to make sure quality, safe firearms are available for them. Some of my fondest memories of my Grandfathers, Uncles, Cousins, and Father are memories of shooting and hunting with them. I intend to make sure my children and grandchildren have the opportunity to make those same type memories. My sons and son-on-law already reminisce about shooting with Grandpa and Papaw.

OeldeWolf
05-11-2014, 12:52 AM
I had a decent little collection, though nothing like a lot of folks here have. But medical expenses are returning me to basics. The 2 Enfields went first, but one went to a person I know from high school, so have to keep the dies to load for her. The 96 Swedes went next. A Finn M24 and a Russian Dragoon are up for sale at the local So not buying anything any more, just dealing with what I have. Except for an AR, may need one of those for the family. But I am the family armory. A son and a daughter, 3 grandkids (one of whom shoots). 2 nephews, not sure about them. It looks like I need to get with my kids, see what needs to stay, what needs to be set up now. Otherwise, more might have to go,

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 01:12 AM
My brother and I are the only hunters/shooters in my immediate family. I'm sure whatever remains after I'm gone will be sold for prices that would make me sad so I better get to enjoying them while I'm here.

Land Owner
05-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Interesting subject. Interesting considerations. Personal choices.

Here's a thought...SELL, SELL, SELL. Liquidate and spend it on yourself.

You have arrived at that train of thought where you are considering your legacy. Be a little selfish. You won't spend another second's thought on it after your passing anyway. Far too many folks have SAVED their whole lives for retirement and older age. Saving and thriftiness have ruled their entire lives. Breaking that mould is TOUGH.

Many leave this life having continued to scrimp right through their retirement years leaving vast sums and property that liquidated would have made their own living more enjoyable. If they had opened the gate of SPENDING over saving, something they intended to do but then talked themselves out of for the future benefit of those that have not walked the path with them along the way, they would have increased their own enjoyment in their retirement years, which could end today. One never knows.

Your firearms and reloading/casting stuff have been an investment for you. Don't get all personal with the investment. Until regulated otherwise, firearms are still being made and folks are still buying and selling personal firearms and related stuff. Buy low. Sell high. Don't forget what you are doing in the middle.

A different perspective for your consideration...

WILCO
05-11-2014, 09:12 AM
I feel a need to get back to the basics and get back too living.

And doing.

PS might be selling some stuff

BC

Getting back to basics and living is a mental state of mind.
Reducing stress and drama in one's life is key.
Downsizing one's estate helps, but isn't critical.
I've always lived simply and within my means. Items I've purchased are for my enjoyment.
Hobbies I enjoy have no expiration date and always greet me when I return to them.
Where I see fit, I'll sell or give items away. It really is that simple.

Best wishes as you go forward.

Just Duke
05-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I can't imagine having to many guns. I could imagine having guns I don't have a use for and selling them to acquire guns that would have more of a purpose. I find firearms pretty fragile and having back ups or as we use in my industry "triple redundancy" is a must.
I'd keep what you have considering you really need and use them in lieu of spending part of the year in AK.

GL49
05-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Interesting subject. Interesting considerations. Personal choices.

Here's a thought...SELL, SELL, SELL. Liquidate and spend it on yourself.

You have arrived at that train of thought where you are considering your legacy. Be a little selfish. You won't spend another second's thought on it after your passing anyway. Far too many folks have SAVED their whole lives for retirement and older age. Saving and thriftiness have ruled their entire lives. Breaking that mould is TOUGH.

Many leave this life having continued to scrimp right through their retirement years leaving vast sums and property that liquidated would have made their own living more enjoyable. If they had opened the gate of SPENDING over saving, something they intended to do but then talked themselves out of for the future benefit of those that have not walked the path with them along the way, they would have increased their own enjoyment in their retirement years, which could end today. One never knows.

Your firearms and reloading/casting stuff have been an investment for you. Don't get all personal with the investment. Until regulated otherwise, firearms are still being made and folks are still buying and selling personal firearms and related stuff. Buy low. Sell high. Don't forget what you are doing in the middle.

A different perspective for your consideration...

Interesting thought, a viewpoint that I hadn't considered.

Once I'm gone, I'm not gonna care anyway. I don't see either of my sons using my casting equipment or using many of my firearms, of which I have w-a-a-ay too many. Or not. But thanks, you've made me rethink and possibly change what I"m doing.

Johnny Boy
05-12-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm a lucky guy (for many more reasons than this) since my wife and kids are all shooters. Son "prefers" handguns and daughter would rather shoot rifles. However, like me and Mom they will smile behind anything that goes bang.
My 18 year old baby girl and I are the hunters - wife and 20y.o. son "won't shoot anything with a pulse unless it is a threat."

Because they enjoy shooting, I promised the kids a handgun, rifle and shotgun before they leave home. Covered about half of that so far.

I have just a few firearms of sentimental value and those will be left to the family members who share the attachment. The rest are tools and toys for me now.

As far as the kids our goal was the help them learn what they need to earn what they want. Boy just finished 1st year of college, girl starts in the fall. That along with what they've done so far has us feeling good so far on that point.

Blacksmith
05-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Since most "Assault Rifles" are now banned in Maryland the only way my grandsons can acquire one is through inheritance, so I bought a couple of stripped lowers, before the ban took effect, to build into something interesting for them when I go. If you are in an anti gun state better keep what you got because they may ban it.