PDA

View Full Version : 22 TCM = Disappointment

roysha
05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Well, I had high hopes for this and I'm not done yet but it sure is starting out lousy. I finally got a day to test some loads using the 225107 cast bullet. I had loaded H-110 starting at 9.2 grains and going up to 9.8 in .2 grain increments, 10 rounds each. Gun functioned fine except it won't feed the last round from the magazine. Hangs up on the feed ramp. A nuisance but the real disappointment was the accuracy.

Set up at 20 yards, because of convenience, and fired from bench with my forearms supported. Best group was the 9.2 grains with a vertical string of 2 5/8" and a horizontal spread of less than an inch. From there it went down hill clear to random scattering of nearly 7", more of a shotgun pattern rather than a group. I really didn't detect any leading when I got back to shop and cleaned the barrel.

I started at 9.2 since I had read that a lot of fellows were having unreliable functioning until they approached 10 grains. Worked great at 9.2 so I wonder if I need to go even lower. Even at 9.8 primers looked good. Yeah, I know primers are not a reliable indicator of pressure but they looked fine nevertheless. I'm not going to waste my time chronographing anything until I can at least be assured of not hitting the chronograph. With the current accuracy I not sure I could even get all the bullets over the screens.

The bullet is cast rather hard, sized .225 and lubed with Carnuba Red and GCed using HOR crimp on GC. Seated to the same OAL as factory ammo and crimped with a modified (from a 218 Bee) LEE factory crimp die. All weights held to +/- .1 grain for these experimental loads. Powder charges individually weighed. Sizer die is adjusted specifically to my gun to just let the case chamber freely. Cases trimmed to uniform length equal to the shortest once fired factory case. Loaded rounds chamber freely and fall out easily when the barrel is tipped up. WIN WSR primer.

The bullet is not shifting back during the feeding cycle, at least I'm quite sure of that since I ejected a couple of rounds at various stages of testing to see if the crimp was holding. No bullet deformation of the nose except a tiny bit on the last one that hangs up on the ramp, but even that is very minimal.

Suggestions please.

Dan Cash
05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
What is .22 TCM, what gun etc.?

mrvmax
05-04-2014, 09:06 PM
RIA 1911, I cannot remember the exact name but something like Tuason Craig Micromag. Feed Craig worked with Rock Island Armory to develop it.

gbrown
05-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Here's some info. I just picked one up. For reloaders, it's pretty new. There's some data out there, but not a bunch. I think it will pick up in interest, as Arms Cor is in the process of developing a rifle in this caliber. It comes with a 5 round mag, but accepts the 17 round mags of the pistol. As I understand it, the mags are P18 Para Ordanance 38 super with some mods. In looking at case capacity, it has about 18, as the 22 Hornet has 14. Personally, I'm looking forward to working with it. I think it has a lot of potential.
Time will tell. What's interesting is that it comes with another barrel, a 9mm, as well as a spring and ejector rod. Makes 2 pistols in one. I'm also interested in a 38 super barrel, as I shoot that round, also. As said, time will tell. We'll see. BTW, the 22 TCM has a recoil like that of a 22 magnum. Pretty nice.

\\http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211969-22-tcm-load-data

http://www.shotgunnews.com/2013/01/09/smallbore-slabsides-rock-island-armory-22-tcm-review/

blackpowder man
05-05-2014, 10:09 PM
9.2 grains of 296 and the lyman 225438 is what I mostly shoot. Some days the groups are really good and others not so good, but that seems to be how pistol shooting goes for me. I'm really a rifle shooter that plays with pistols. I tried 2400 and hs6, but never concluded the tests. With limited data I keep starting low enough to be sure I'm safe which means it takes multiple range trips to work up a load. Also I am careful with the brass, I don't need to have a bunch of cases stuffed with loads that are too hot. Speaking of that, I did try making some cases and I think as long as I can purchase them I will likely refrain from making my own.
I bought a mecgar p18 mag and it works.
Also the 9mm barrel shoots great.
Good luck

Quiettime
05-05-2014, 10:10 PM
As I understand it, the mags are P18 Para Ordanance 38 super with some mods.

I sold my friend some Mec-Gar P18 38 Super mags I had and he reported they worked great out of the package.

leftiye
05-06-2014, 05:34 AM
You guys should find a place to fire loads into a stopper (and where you won't get into trouble with sound issues for shooting in city limits), and work up loads for pressure before wasting components to shoot for accuracy. Maybe then develop a ladder test downwards for accuracy.

1845greyhounds
05-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Try shooting some without the LEE Factory Crimp die. It might be deforming your boolits thus causing the inconsistency.

roysha
05-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Try shooting some without the LEE Factory Crimp die. It might be deforming your boolits thus causing the inconsistency.

While I have thought of that, I would have some concerns about the bullet shifting back into the case as it is being fed from the magazine. Obviously, single loading would perhaps be OK for testing purposes but ultimately it would negate the purpose of having an auto loader with a 17 round magazine.

1845greyhounds
05-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I understand. If you really want an answer, you need to start eliminating variables (like the lee FC). If the variable has no effect, reinstate it. If does have an effect, you'll know what to focus on.

gbrown
05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
You guys should find a place to fire loads into a stopper (and where you won't get into trouble with sound issues for shooting in city limits), and work up loads for pressure before wasting components to shoot for accuracy. Maybe then develop a ladder test downwards for accuracy.

My buddy and I are working on that. Want to work up loads with multiple powders. Also, want to see about some cast boolits for it--NOE has a couple of good molds that might work. Key phrase here is patience. We are used to ladder loading and such. Do it all the time. Right now, we are researching the issues, starting loads, powders, boolit weights and such. We've seen a lot of powders used, reduced loads and "hot" loads. Looking at other calibers that have similar case capacity, powder charge weights, and boolit weight to compare and think about starting points. We'll see, just a matter of time.

leftiye
05-07-2014, 08:44 AM
In at least one instance when working up a hunting load for a .300 Win. I worked up pressures for all of the best loads that I found in the manuals. That was to see which ones actually did as the manuals claimed (in my gun). You'd be surprise how some won't use as much powder, and others use more than claimed. Then I simply ran accuracy tests on them. The most accurate one was the one I used.

HATCH
05-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't cast for the 22tcm. I have loaded up a few thousand factory bullet 22 TCM.
I want to say it was around 11 grains of h110/w296
I ended up using two die sets.
I have a hornady die set and a CH4D die set.
I use the hornady set to do everything but crimp. The CH4D seat/crimp is in station 4 and just crimps.
I use a dillon 550

snowwolfe
05-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Just read an article about this round and am interested. I was going to have BFR build me a centerfire .22 like the .218 Bee but can not find brass for it.

Have you tried jacketed bullets to see if the accuracy improves?

blackpowder man
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM
It's not as easy to find a safe starting point working up loads on a new cartridge that has extremely limited loading data. But, then again that's what makes sites like this so great.
I haven't found the factory ammo to be consistent between range trips or very accurate. The lyman 44 grain round nose has been a good boolit so far compared to the factory rounds. I'll look for my notes and see what I did with 2400 and hs6.