PDA

View Full Version : 1980's gp100 vs new

30hrrtt
05-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I used to own :-( a late 1980's stainless 6" Gp100 and really liked it. I want to get another. I am wondering how the new ones compare to those of that era in regards to accuracy and durability. I am debating trying to find an older used one in good shape or purchasing a new one. Input from those familiar with both would be greatly appreciated.

osteodoc08
05-04-2014, 08:35 PM
AFAIK, I really don't think they've changed. They came out around 1985 IIRC.

Get one and start blasting away. It'll last longer than the both of us.

Mk42gunner
05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't know about current ones; but I had a blued 6" in the late eighties that shot very well. The blue 4" that I have now from the very early years of this century shoots almost as good, but I don't have nearly the amount of rounds through it as I did the first one.

In all truth, if I shot this one as much as the first one I had, I think it would be as good.

Robert

Petrol & Powder
05-06-2014, 08:59 PM
The very early GP's had heavy main springs and trigger return springs which, in part, led to Ruger's reputation of bad actions.
There is nothing wrong with the GP action and it's unfortunate that they were compared to S&W triggers despite the excessively heavy springs of early models. Ruger did slightly reduce the spring weights later on but I can't remember when that happened. In any event, a Wolff spring kit can be installed and with the correct springs the trigger pull can be greatly improved while maintaining 100% reliability.
I shot one of the very early GP100's and I recall that it was an excellent gun and about 2/3 the price of a S&W. I don't believe the basic design has changed much, if at all. I would buy what you want regardless of vintage as long as it was in good condition.

Beagle333
05-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I bought one as soon as they hit the shelf in '85 and I don't think I'll get to try a new one..... as this one is gonna outlast me! :cool:

Petrol & Powder
05-06-2014, 11:12 PM
I bought one as soon as they hit the shelf in '85 and I don't think I'll get to try a new one..... as this one is gonna outlast me! :cool:

They are difficult to wear out. I've tried and failed.

Lonegun1894
05-07-2014, 03:17 AM
I have a late 80s Security Six 4" and a 4-5yr old GP100, and they both shoot equally well. The slight difference is due to the longer sight plane of the 6", but it really isn't much at all. I would go with whatever you prefer and not worry about vintage.

GP100man
05-07-2014, 10:32 PM
The 1s of late have MIM parts hollow triggers/hammers & no pins holding the ejector to the cyl.
The grip pin is smaller dia. & will need enlarging to put the rubber panel grips on.

Later 1s also have more consistent/lighter/smoother initial trigger pulls "out of the box", sure there`s exceptions . Ruger seems to have slowed production of GP100s ,but seem to have stepped up QC a bit, also price, then again everything is going up !!

All in all , if I were in the market for a DA 357 magnum revolver , Ruger still is the best value hands down.

FergusonTO35
05-08-2014, 09:52 AM
I had one from 1986 and it had the larger grip pin and two piece grips. I put the later small grip on it which was one piece. It required a different grip pin which was available from Midway and installed no problem.

30hrrtt
06-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Happy birthday to me. I bid on a new 6" ss gp100 and won it today. Thanks for your input. Now the great anticipation begins.

30hrrtt
06-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Just took possession of my new gp100. The date on the tested empty brass is may 15 of this year. It is really new. The quality is very good and the trigger pull is the only thing that surprised me. I had to make sure it was a Ruger and not a S&W. The trigger was smooth, light, and crisp. Very pleasant surprise. Now to get out and do some blasting.

GP100man
06-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Range report & pics !!!!

& congratulations !!!!

GP100man

TCLouis
06-29-2014, 12:02 AM
358156 after you "shoot/wear" in the barrel a bit

robertbank
06-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Good purchase. I have the 4.2" stainless and love it. I did have to have the cylinders reamed out to .3585 though. Ruger seems to have a reputation for tight cylinder throats. Mine certainly were tight with three you could not push a .356 sized bullet through. The gun is extremely accurate with an excellent trigger. Mine was smooth as glass out of the box. I went to a slightly lighter Wolf spring for competition. I am not sure it did much for me as once the buzzer goes off I can tell you I never notice the trigger pull. Some might say I don't spend enough time noticing the sights either but that is another topic. I do think the GP- 100 is a much better buy than anything S&W is now putting out and at a much lower price point.

Take Care

Bob

fecmech
06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Some might say I don't spend enough time noticing the sights either but that is another topic.
Thanks for the laugh Bob!
The only thing I don't like about the new ones is you can't get the unlugged barrel that I have on my 1990 version but that's just nit picking. Of course on a stainless gun you could just file it off and dress it up. I think the GP is the best value in the .357 revolver market.

robertbank
06-30-2014, 11:51 AM
I think they went with the full lug for the advantage it gives to competitors who like to have the added weight up front to tame muzzle rise. The Match Champion model is aimed directly at IDPA SSR Division to compete with the S&W 686.

Take Care

Bob