PDA

View Full Version : SWC in .380?

I'll Make Mine
05-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I finally got a brass catcher, so I can reasonably consider reloading for my .380. It's an Excam GT-380, does a pretty decent job of putting the rounds where I aim with factory FMJ, and has fed flawlessly everything I've ever put in it, including XTP hollow cavity bullets -- so I figure it'll feed okay with a cast SWC or truncated cone. I've been looking at the Lee Precision 358-105-SWC, which I'd size to fit the groove after slugging the bore (probably .356 final size, given how well the pistol shoots with factory J-words).

I did recently have a problem with American Eagle 95 gr. FMJ failing to cock the hammer -- they'd eject and feed, but every 3rd round or so would fail to leave the hammer back; I figure they're coming up a millimeter short on slide travel to get the hammer and sear to engage. That suggests to me they're just at the bottom end of what will cycle my pistol, but it shouldn't be a problem to get a 105 gr. boolit going fast enough to cycle well without beating up the slide and frame.

I've got Solo 1000 on hand, which is pretty close to Bullseye on a burn rate chart; I recall Bullseye, Red Dot, and (vaguely) Green Dot being the top choices for .32 ACP and .380 when I tried to reload for .32 ACP and .25 ACP back in the 1980s. I think I've also got part of a can of Unique around, though I'm not sure I can get a load hot enough to cycle in that little case.

Any suggestions that are likely to be better than the Lee bullet (preferably in a reasonably inexpensive mold, I'm on a budget)? I'd like to stay at or above 95 grains, and I prefer a flat nose if I have a choice.

Boolseye
05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
The new Lee 356-95 RF is nice, feeds well in my .380s. The Lee 356-102-1R also works extremely well in .380, but only comes in a 2-cav. mold.

I'll Make Mine
05-04-2014, 08:43 PM
The new Lee 356-95 RF is nice, feeds well in my .380s. The Lee 356-102-1R also works extremely well in .380, but only comes in a 2-cav. mold.

Hmm. Two cavity is fine for me, I'm not a high volume shooter. Why don't those show in the Lee Precision online catalog?? A quick Google confirms the 356-95RF is a round nose flat point, very acceptable profile and ought to feed at least as well as the XTP hollow cavity, but the 356-102-R1 is a standard round nose. Should feed like a factory FMJ, but on the off chance I might have to shoot something other than a soup can with the .380, there's nothing to be gained by adding a round nose bullet to the already marginal ballistics. A flat point of some kind does a lot more damage without reducing penetration much; the 105 SWC would be much preferable in terms of terminal ballistics over the 102 round nose. I might hold that as a backup in case (unlikely) I find the pistol doesn't like the 105 SWC -- can't make a bullet shape that feeds better in a pistol than that one; that's why it's still standard for semi-autos after 120 years.

Finster101
05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Do a search on the Lee 358-105swc. It works very well.

Sorry, I just noticed your comment on the Lee mold. I always throw it out there as I have had very good luck with it.

I'll Make Mine
05-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Do a search on the Lee 358-105swc. It works very well.

Sorry, I just noticed your comment on the Lee mold. I always throw it out there as I have had very good luck with it.

Good to hear others are already getting good results with the mold that was going to be my first choice. I'll order one of those when I get the .380 dies; hopefully I'll have time to slug the bore by then and can get the correct sizer at the same time.