PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Officers Model 38

school of mines
05-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Just got this yesterday and will be using it in our informal bullseye shoot at the range. I plan on using DEWCs with Unique. I haven't owned one before and am looking for some advice on maintenance and adjusting the sights. Also, on the back strap there is stamped: E. A. OLSON, 1174419 M.C. I assume its the owner name, but would like to know more if anyone has seen this type of marking. SN 56xxxx indicates early 1930s from what I found on the web.

Thank!

beezapilot
05-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Nice find...and I've been looking for something like that for a while. I have Official Police & Police Positives, nothing with the adjustable sights- Old Colts just need regular cleaning, nothing mucch more on the maintenance side. You're gonna like shooting that! BUT... If you don't, let me know.....

Dutchman
05-04-2014, 07:04 PM

Just got this yesterday and will be using it in our informal bullseye shoot at the range. I plan on using DEWCs with Unique. I haven't owned one before and am looking for some advice on maintenance and adjusting the sights. Also, on the back strap there is stamped: E. A. OLSON, 1174419 M.C. I assume its the owner name, but would like to know more if anyone has seen this type of marking. SN 56xxxx indicates early 1930s from what I found on the web.

Thank!

Can you reveal the circumstances of how you acquired this? Estate sale?

You live in Nebraska.. What city & county? You acquired it in Nebraska?

I'm assuming 1174419 is his service number. The M.C. I don't know.

Being a diehard genealogist I love a good challenge.

I have a couple leads but I need as much info as you can tell.

M.C. = Medical Corp U.S. Navy ??

Dutch

smkummer
05-04-2014, 08:07 PM
You have a fine gun. The stocks are pre-1923. Loosen the side friction screw and turn the front adjustment screw for elevation adjustment on the front sight. The rear sight has a friction screw on top, then on the side adjust the side windage screw. While 38 wadcutters were made for match shooting, you are fine firing any 38 ammo including plus P if you would want.

school of mines
05-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Dutch,

Bought the pistol in Mohave County, Kingman AZ! Forgot to update my profile.

Thanks for all the replies!

Preacher Jim
05-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I have had several and they are excellent shooters. Mine all shot best with bullets sized .358. Check you cylinder throats and forcing cone. As to plus p loads value this fine shooter and stay with loads from that pressure used then.
That said congratulations on finding a great piece.
Preacher Jim

Dutchman
05-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Dutch,

Bought the pistol in Mohave County, Kingman AZ! Forgot to update my profile.

Thanks for all the replies!

Well, it was worth a try. Mojave County = M.C. ? If it was a cop or sheriff gun it would be M.C.S.D. or the like. Being in Kingman it could've come out of California at one time. Searching databases is all about math. I didn't see anything that gave me any good math. The search needs one more integer. There was an E.A. Olson in Maricopa County in the 1930 & 1940 census but he's a car repairman for the steam railroad. There wasn't any good math with him.

Looks to have a lot of holster rash on the barrel. In and out of a holster. I have a Colt Official Police with severe holster rash. Made in 1929 it was an armored car guard gun.

Dutch

leftiye
05-05-2014, 02:46 AM
I have had several and they are excellent shooters. Mine all shot best with bullets sized .358. Check you cylinder throats and forcing cone. As to plus p loads value this fine shooter and stay with loads from that pressure used then.
That said congratulations on finding a great piece.
Preacher Jim

But were the barrels .355"? Many were, including one I had way back. I hear what you're saying about pressures, but all of these I frame colts are quite strong (I won't tell you what I ran in that one - with no ill effects).

bedbugbilly
05-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Nice Colt! You are going to love shooting that one! Keep looking on the markings and hopefully you'll get a good lead on what they represent. You might try posting a photo of the pistol and markings over on the Colt Forum and see if anyone can help = you never know. I have a 1910 Colt Army Special that is a lot of fun. Nothing like these "vintage" sweethearts!

Let us know please if you get the markings figured out - everyone loves a mystery! Enjoy!

Harry O
05-05-2014, 08:13 AM
You might want to check the groove diameter before you size anything. I have never owned (or shot) that particular model, but have shot some fixed sight models. They generally have groove diameters that are a little bit smaller than S&W's. You might find that 0.356" or 0.357" sized bullets work better than the 0.358" or 0.359" I use for S&W's.

Also check the throat diameter of the cylinder. I have never checked that on that sized Colt, but that might make a difference, too.

school of mines
05-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks again for all the info! I will keep researching the stampings and let you all know if I figure anything out. I hope to have some loads for our next match and will give a range report!

leftiye
05-06-2014, 05:51 AM
IIRC, even the later Colt's were tight bored. The "I-frame" aka "41 frame" was the basis for the later Three Fifty Seven, Trooper, and Python.

You're right. I got that from Numrich, they list the official police and officer's model E frames in with the I frames (but do designate them as E frames). I guess a lot of the internal parts must interchange? The Official Police models were also made until about the 80s and probly were actually I frames in some of those instances. The Police Positive D frame series was also made (as detective specials, commando, and cobra) much later than one might expect.

WARD O
05-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I recently found pretty much the same thing. I bought an Officers Model out of new york that has seen some serious mileage but does not look to have been shot all that much. The cylinder throats on this Colt all measure a very consistent .359 using plug/pin gauges. I took it to the range last weekend and ran some loads through it with good results. I believe it is going to be a great shooter. There were 5 shooters next to me on the range all shooting AR's and such trying to empty the clips as fast as possible. It was a little tough to concentrate but I will give it another try soon. I have come to appreciate these old Colt double actions as something new to me to enjoy.

ward

Char-Gar
05-06-2014, 12:00 PM
I have had a number of Colt Officers Model and Officers Model Match pistols over the years and they have all been good shooting pistols.

You will find the barrel groove diameter to be .354 - .355 and the cylinder throats to be .359 on your pistol as Colt is pretty uniform about these things.

Your choice of DEWCs is good and can be fired .358 or .359. If you have some or can get some either Bullseye or 231 will make you happier than Unique in the long run.

Below is my Officers Model 38 SN 52XXXX. It was made in 1927 and I have the original grips. Your handgun was made in 1929 or 1930 depending on the last four digits. I also have a 1937 OM in 22. Good handguns all.