PDA

View Full Version : drill for probe?

stillkickn
05-04-2014, 09:54 AM
I was looking at the NOE web sight for the 311-180-FN and at the bottom of the page was an option to buy a "drill for probe" for $2.50. What is a drill for probe? I couldn't find the answer on the web sight.
Thanks!
Rob

JSnover
05-04-2014, 10:02 AM
For drilling your mold block for a temperature probe. Interesting. But I don't need to put more stuff on my casting bench.

theperfessor
05-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Very handy for a stem-type thermometer or thermocouple. I like to know my mold temperature, not just guess at it. Others may not feel it is necessary.

HARRYMPOPE
05-04-2014, 12:19 PM
For drilling your mold block for a temperature probe. Interesting. But I don't need to put more stuff on my casting bench.

I agree.I have cast for BR rifles that were sub 1/2" at 100 without knowing block temp.it might matter but it would be statisticlly hard to prove in a handgun or sporting rifle.Merril Martin did the temp probe thing years back and I don't think he proved anything.

SwedeNelson
05-04-2014, 01:49 PM
I like it for repeatability.
Find the sweet spot that a mould likes to cast at
Make a note on the box and the next time I use it
I heat it up to that temp. and run.

"more stuff on my casting bench" - I hang it on the
top shelf of my bench - about eye level.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/Bench001.jpg
I get to cast here just about every day

Works for me!

Bullet maker, maker
Swede Nelson

stillkickn
05-04-2014, 03:04 PM
This would help me know when the mould is ready to throw hollow points. I always seem to pour the lead a little too early. You make a great mould Swede.