PDA

View Full Version : Cast 9 mm Luger

Chickenfarmer
05-03-2014, 07:14 PM
The gun shop I go to convinced me that I could use trail boss in 124 gr cast 9 mm load. I looked online and can't find any data does anyone have any leads.

pworley1
05-03-2014, 07:51 PM
You might get some starting load ideas by looking at the loads used for similar cartridges here. http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm

Larry Gibson
05-03-2014, 08:12 PM
I would go to another gunshop. There are numerous powders much better suited for the 9mm than Trail Boss. Let me guess; they had some Trail Boss to sell you...........

Read this thread;http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?240059-Did-anyone-ever-a-really-accurate-9mm-load-with-cast-bullets You won't find Trail Boss mentioned. I don't recall seeing Trail Boss in any manual for the 9mm?

Larry Gibson

Chickenfarmer
05-03-2014, 09:35 PM
That's the pistol powder he recommended for booth 44 cast and 9 mm cast... It's the only gun shop close to me that doesn't charge like 45 dollars a pound for powder

tazman
05-03-2014, 10:23 PM
It will work for the 44 but will be a light load. Remember not to compress the powder charge with trail boss as it makes the pressure spike.
Not sure about the 9mm. I can't find any data for the 9 either. I did find one article where a guy was using it in a 9 makarov but that is a different cartridge altogether.

rintinglen
05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Trailboss is designed for the big, low pressure revolver cases. 9mm cases are dinky high pressure cases.
If you need a 9/16ths socket, the fact that the hardware store will sell you a hammer cheap does't really help.

Too often, the guys at the gunshop, while perhaps well intentioned, aren't up to speed on guns that fall outside their field of expertise (if they have one...) and make recommendations that on further inspection are not satisfactory. Powders that work well in the 9mm Run from WW-231/HP-38 on up through Blue Dot, and include powders like Unique, Power pistol, AA # 5, Aa #7, HS-6, Hogdon Universal, TiteGroup, VV 3N37, and others in this general range. I have been using Power Pistol lately and find it to be very satisfactory, though if Unique had not started riding on the backs of pink Unicorns, I'd likely still be wedded to it.

tazman
05-04-2014, 05:25 PM
I began loading for 9mm in December of last year after a several year layoff. When I went looking for powder I found there wasn't much available.
I have finally taken to carrying a burn rate chart with me so I might stand a chance of finding a powder I can use even if it isn't the best or most commonly used.
I have gotten to the place where I will buy almost anything that falls into the first 50 named powders on the chart excluding the first 5. They are so scarce that I haven't purchased any for 2 months. No shop within 70 miles of me has or can get any with any certainty. They will not save any for you or take back orders either. If you just happen to time it right you might, maybe find a pound or 2. In my case they are always gone when I get there.
Since I started looking in January I have not seen a single bottle of 231, bullseye, unique, hp38, red dot, blue dot, aa5, aa2, titegroup, or wsf.
I found 1 lb of green dot and 1 lb of titewad and that's it since January. If this keeps up I may have to stop shooting altogether.

Chickenfarmer
05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
I have number 7 a lot of it but I don't like how it runs with 124 gr cast. Anyone have any blue dot recipe for 124 gr 9 mm

tazman
05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
If that is AA7 I wish you were nearby. I would buy or trade for some of it. I love how it works with my heavy boolit in 9mm.