PDA

View Full Version : which finish for G24(T)

nekshot
05-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I have a mauser G24(t) which means the reciever has 2 machining marks on it that I don't feel comfortable removing. This gun is a switch barrel, a new 8mm military tube and a new 7mm tube that has some light pits on the outside but bore is perfect. Both barrels are new. I originally was going to rust blue it and live with the machine marks on reciever and paint bake the 7mm barrel to hide the pits. Got to thinking maybe I should paint every thing. Then I wondered if the paint on barrel is tuff enough to take the switch process of the barrel vice. I don't want it to look rinky dink because it really is a nice gun and boy does it shoot great both cast and jacket! What finish would be recommended by those familiar with duracoat or the like? By the way it is great to have brand new inside of barrel to work with on both barrels!

nekshot
05-04-2014, 07:06 AM
lets try this again. Will duracoat or the like standup to the barrel vice with out making marks?

Mk42gunner
05-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Mauser G24(t) doesn't bring anything immediately to mind, enlightenment please?

I don't know how tough duracoat is when fully cured. How tight are the barrels installed?

Robert

nekshot
05-04-2014, 05:51 PM
the G24 were from my understanding built by the germans after they confiscated the brno plant(I think this is correct) anyhow they were pushing for production and not all the machine marks were cleaned up. Mine has 3 knicks on reciever from a grinder or something like that. The barrels are easily loosened when in the vice but I want a finish that is tough. I started another thread hopefully folk will share their trade secrets, as I never considered painting a gun but now I kinda like the idea.

Mk42gunner
05-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Sounds right to me, I did some research this morning and found that it is basically the German's version of the Vz 24.

Like I said this morning, I don't know about duracoat, but a good hard coat of paint is pretty tough. I guess it depends on what type of barrel vise you have and the quality of the paint job.

99 cent Walmart spray paint isn't very tough, but it is cheap and easily touched up. Some of the appliance enamels are pretty tough once fully cured.

The only times I have ever painted a gun were for camouflage, and if it got scratched or messed up somehow, I just sprayed another irregular shaped blob on it. That reminds me I need to touch up my turkey gun.

Robert