PDA

View Full Version : The Big .50-95 Levergun Cartidge

missionary5155
05-03-2014, 05:15 AM
Good morning
This is my #5095 post so here is the cartridge to go along with it. Rifle photos in post #24.

Winchester wanted a "Big 50" cartridge in the model 1876 line up. After all the model 1876 Centenial Rifle was their entry into powerful cartridges in lever rifles. People wanted repeaters for hunting and protection during raids. Winchester always ready to make a good profit had a solution.
The model 1876 is well noted historicly. The part that interests me is why the receiver was not enlarged long enough to accomidate the 45-70 (2.105 inches) ? By doing so the caliber .50 case could have been longer also. Did they already wonder about the strength of the toggle system and soft frame (by todays standard) giving way ?

Winchester made the receiver just long enought to accomidate a cartridge of just 2.25 inches total. Thus the cases had to be a nominal 1.90 inches in length. So the Winchester solution was bottleneck cases. Fatter cases hold more powder. Bottleneck cases were already in use by some rifle manufactures so this was not an inovation.

50-95 cases can be made from the caliber .50 Sharps 2.50 cases. Lots of trimming and rim thinning but it is a solution. Buffalo Arms sells ready made cases at about $1.75 each. All new cases are solid head design so interior capacity is less than origonal cases but far stronger than the opperating pressures even in a reproduction model 1876. I found it was impossible to approach 95 grains of 2F powder and seat a bullet within limits. Cases bulge and will not chamber. 82 grains of 2F was about it with my 347 grain bullet seated on top of a cereal box wad to maintain that 2.25 OAL. If it does not fit the lifter you have a single shot.

I went with the Ideal 515139 cast of 40-1 (347 grains) because I do not like light for caliber boolits. Absolute velocity means little to me. I want "smack" on target and good penetration. Plus I had the mold. I considered making a caliber .50 jig to hollow point but the 347's shot so well I never got to. Maybe this time up.

Black powder is what the cartridge and rifle was designed for so that is where I started. 2F loads were dismal. Drop tube and/or vibrate just could not pack enough in there. The factory tooted news of near 1500 FPS with a nominal 300 grain hollow point. Mine were about 1280 FPS. 47 grains of lead just does not slow a boolit that much. So through more research it surfaced Winchester also experienced about the same. Winchester wanted to sell rifles with marketing value. A cartridge that could zip a caliber .50 slug down range with authority. So Winchester tried 3F. Problem solved. Using 3F I can drop tube & vibrate 87 grains into my cases without bulging and fit the chamber. Using my loading of the 347 grain plus the cereal box wad my rifle will produce 1465 fps (crono at 12 feet). Cases eject easily. Another plus of 3F in my rifle is there is now blowback on the cases or into the chamber. I have fired 30 rounds with just barely a trace of "soot" on the lifter. 2F left me with a mess to clean up. Plus 3F left so little fouling behind there really was little reason to swab the barrel after 10 shots. Chamber was still clean enough to seat the next round. But I generally do as 10 rounds even in 60 degree temperature does heat the barrel. 3F produced the best accuracy of the loads I tried. Extreme velocity spread is about 5 (five). I checked that several times. If 3F was all there was I would have zero complaints. I do not trust my memory for exact group sizes but I know my rifle off cross sticks will shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards and is under 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

I did try 5477. I first called Accurate and spoke to one of the tech reps. Gave him all the meausrements of case, boolit and barrel. He then did his computer magic and gave me expected pressures per grains of powder. 5477 will easily duplicate 3F velocities. I was 5 grains under the implied max load when 5477 reached the same 1465 fps with the same boolit. Accuracy is not as good but not bad. It would easily drop corn crunchers at 150 yards which was the intended hunting range.

I am new at shooting the 50-95. My rifle is a Chapparal in the 4000 serial #'s. This one was put together right. I plan on more shooting when we get back up this June. I will start again with 3F. I may never move on to another powder. Why fight success ! Sure hope to get a chance at a yote or even a cougar. White tail are just a dream for center fire lever rifles in ILLinois.
Mike in Peru

StrawHat
05-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Mike,

Glad you found at least one load it likes.

I am not sure why Winchester choose to go the BN route. Supposedly, they tested the toggle action and found it strong but maybe not strong enough for repeated firings. Maybe, they just wanted to be a bit different. After all, in the 70s, the Army was still hooked on single shots, it wasn't until closer to the 90s they were willing to consider the repeating rifles.

No pictures????

Skipper
05-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Found a picture of the powder measure that Mike just ordered........:mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
05-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I wanna see the rifle.

Bullshop
05-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Did you know that Winchester had a 75 cal sporting round? It was prototyped but never put into production. I have handled a couple of the loaded factory cartridges.

missionary5155
05-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Good morning
Pictures of my rifle will have to wait. It is 5500 miles north of here in ILLinois. I did a Range Report 2 years ago but I cannot find it here anywhere on our site. What has happened to the older posts ?
Rifle is a standard model 76 that Chappy sells with 26 inch barrel. Only variance I see is the hole in the bore and weight because of that caliber .50 hole. I think the 40-60 model weights one pound (plus) more than the caliber .50. I did change the rear sight as the origonal ladder sight had alot to be desired. Went with a quality buckhorn that makes shooting out to 200 yards very easy and fast.

Howdy Skipper... That looks like the tool ! :>)
If you shoot the big single shots 95 grains is a moderate load. But for a lever rifle that is a whopper.

Howdy Bullshop I did read about that but have never seen one. I guess it is the basic cartridge opened up straight. That would be an interesting smasher.
Mike in Peru

Nobade
05-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Did you know that Winchester had a 75 cal sporting round? It was prototyped but never put into production. I have handled a couple of the loaded factory cartridges.

I think someone on this forum did that a few years ago also. Use brass 12ga. cases and have a reamer made up to fit them and give a proper throat in a rifled 12ga. barrel. I wish you could buy unchambered handi rifle barrels to do that! It would be very interesting using a swaged, hollow base/hollow point paperpatched slick. Hmmm.....

-Nobade

Bullshop
05-04-2014, 10:28 AM
I think the 50/95 in the 1876 Win was an express cartridge utilizing a very light weight boolit for caliber at what was then considered high velocity. I don't know what the twist was but most likely very slow and too slow for boolits much heavier than original type. I also believe I have an original Ideal mold designed for the cartridge. It drops a very short sided boolit that in COWW runs about 290gn and about 300gn in a 50/1 lead/tin alloy.

missionary5155
05-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Howdy Bullshop
I think the Ideal # is 515139. Comes in two flavors. Solid and a HP. Accurate makes a very similar but shorter and no HP. I near went with one but thought I would try my 515139 (solid) first. Made of 40-1 it drops about 347 graines. Shoots so good I never tried anything else.

Twist... I read the origonal 50-95's had a 1-60 twist. ( the freelibrary.com) but the Repros are 1-48. That I like. Going to try a 400 grainer (515141 HP) and then with no HP. If the loss of space in the case is not to severe it should duplicate the 50-70. With either weight that will make it a very formidable hunter.

Nobade There was an article in Shotguns about those monster bolt rifles launching 700 plus grainers at 2000 fps. I think there still is another using the Handy frame. Be a fine rifle to take out a deer herd with one shot.

Mike in Peru

AlaskanGuy
05-04-2014, 02:40 PM
This is what they look like.. from Google...

Shoots a big fattie like this... 104036

Wish I had one of them big fatso's

Bullshop
05-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Mike your right about the 50/70 being a fine hunting cartridge. I have brought one elk to bag with an original conversion carbine 50/70. The range was very close maybe 20 yards. The load was 60gn Goex FG under the Lyman 515141. Cant remember the alloy. The bull was coming straight at me. The hit was center in the chest. The exit was center at the opposite end. The bull humped up at the shot for a few seconds and fell over and was done. I tracked the boolit when I dressed the bull and there was a pleasingly large hole through the center of the heart, lungs, paunch, and out the back door. Better performance could not have been had from any magnum high power rifle.
My current and only 50 is on an 1886 Win cut with a 2.2" chamber. The reason for the odd length chamber is that when I had the rifle made straight 50 brass was hard to come by so I was making mine from 348 Win brass. After blowing them out and squaring up the mouth 2.2" is all the length I could get. Works just fine. Drops moose like nothing else I have seen. Because this is an original 1886 I keep pressures down. My working load is pushing an WFN type design of 510gn to 1750 fps. I have never seen the need for more velocity than that because it has dropped everything ever hit with it in their tracks or not more than a couple wobbly steps away.

Bullshop
05-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I just went and checked my Ideal mold and the number is 515137.

missionary5155
05-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks Bullshop ! That was some good hunting. A 510 grainer at 1750 fps was much more than a couple million of Buffs fell to. That is good info.

Thanks Alaskanguy. I try to get pictures from one site to another and my computer does not like it. I think it is over 5 years now and or dial up is probably slower that snot in January winds. Wife tells me it's like fishing. have to hold your mouth just right. I really like that flat slug. I bet 40-1 near turns inside out. I have no regrets getting the caliber .50.
Mike in Peru

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Mike if you PM me a link to the other site and thread with the pics, if I can access it I will swap them over for you.

Nobade
05-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Nobade There was an article in Shotguns about those monster bolt rifles launching 700 plus grainers at 2000 fps. I think there still is another using the Handy frame. Be a fine rifle to take out a deer herd with one shot.

Mike in Peru

Yep, I am aware of the 12ga. From He** - make cases from 50 BMG brass and fill them with smokeless powder. That's a bit more than I had in mind, I was thinking more along the lines of a 2 3/4" case burning black powder and throwing maybe a 600-700 gr. boolit. Just a slug gun basically but could be made to be quite accurate and fun to burn BP in. Good use of a Greener GP if I had one.

-Nobade

StrawHat
05-05-2014, 08:19 AM
The 50 caliber lever rifles were express rifles. Somewhat popular in India for use against tigers. Light weight (for caliber) boolit and faster velocity, not only hit hard but extended the point blank range of the boolit. Not sure I would want to HP the boolit as I prefer penetration to expansion.

bbailey7821
05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Very interesting... My BFR and Beowulf may need a new brother!

missionary5155
05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Hey nobade
Take a standard 2 3/4 12 guage case. Plop about 130 grains 2F inside. Add one RB bore diameter on top of a card wad. Or if using smaller diameter however fat will fit a cut down shot cup.
I got up to 135 grains and decided that was enough fun. My double Fox B was rearanging my shoulder connections and beginning to affect my ability to focus. Just too light of a firearm for that much recoil. That was shooting standing.
Mike in Peru

Nobade
05-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Yep I hear ya there! I have a Investarms single barrel 12ga. that I shoot with .690" balls and ticking patches. (very tight bore) I have only gone up to 120 gr, because that's as big as my powder measure goes and it is plenty. The thing is deadly to 50 yards but at 100 it's blind luck to hit what you intend to hit. Great fun ringing the hanging steel with a shotgun for onlookers!

-Nobade

missionary5155
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Howdy Bullshop JR
Thanks for the offer. I just spent 20 minutes at Paco's Leverguns looking through my back posts and discovered the whole page of posts from about June to November 2010 is gone.
Same here.. My posts from about 2 years ago and earlier are gone. Maybe I got to curl my toes more.
Mike in Peru

ndnchf
05-14-2014, 02:05 PM
My Uberti .50-95 seems to like Swiss and the Rapine 350 bullet. I'm still working on loads, but with my aging eyes, this is pretty good for me.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/ndnchf/BPCR/Swiss2F_zps5abf7115.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/ndnchf/media/BPCR/Swiss2F_zps5abf7115.jpg.html)

missionary5155
05-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Howdy ndnch
That is about how my Chappy was shooting with Goex 2F and the Ideal 350 grainer. Soon as I switched to 3F grougs shrunk together. It seems to me the 2F loads are just barely getting the 350's stabilised. Switching to 3F jumped velocity about 200 fps. Least in my rifle it made about a half inch difference. 3 weeks I can start warming barrels again.
Mike in Peru

Bullshop Junior
05-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Here are some photos of Mikes rifle.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/u8yzy7yt.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/raqyda4u.jpg

missionary5155
05-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Good morning & Thanks Bullshop JR !
Using the new Google Search tool on CastBoolits (thanks guys. this one works !) located some of my old 1876 50-95 posts from years back. PLus found and read some other good 50-95 posts from even earlier. Still searching for the range reports and load developement.
Mike in Peru

ndnchf
05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
I'll give the 3F a try and see if it makes a similar improvement. Thanks for the tip!

Bob Busetti
05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
As mentioned before Winchester originally loaded the 50/95 with 2f, however they found that 3f worked much better. I also ran a thread about using 3f & got numerous replies about pros & cons. I like 3f better.
Bob

missionary5155
05-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Howdy Bob
I have enjoyed reading your years back post's. When I did mine I had already searched and the old search systen showed nothing. This new search works great.
I had hesitations about 3F till the info about Winchester using 3F came my way. Works well. I do not think 3F is the solution for every caliber but in my repro it was a real help.
Be fun to find out the longevity rate of British "cat guns" as they were probably used much more than others. I am also thinking of trying a duplex loading of 3F (10%) and 2F. Have not tried mag primers either with 2F. Then maybe try some of the 515139 with HP's.
Mike in Peru

ndnchf
05-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Could one of you post the information source that shows Winchester using 3F in their cartridges? I don't doubt you, I'd just like to have the source for my files. Thanks.

missionary5155
05-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Good morning ndnchf
I do not have my Winchester books here in Peru with me. Last I read it was from doingf a 50-95 search on the net. I did not note where I read it again. May get some time to hunt it again.
We are packing to leave here in a week for 5 months up north there so time is tight.
Mike in Peru till June

Bob Busetti
05-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Recently, I was looking for an article in Rifle Magazine, I never found it. But did come across an article about hunting in India. It seems the PH's native tracker carried an 1876 express rifle chambered for the 50/95. The rifle was described as well beat up, several repairs to the butt stock, no finish what so ever, even the markings on the upper tang were badly worn. However the action seemed tight & the bore was pretty decent. Tracker had 10 rds. of nice & shiny 50/95 Winchester shells. The author asked the tracker why he still carried the 76. The tracker says " the rifle is bad news to tigers up close & I see no need to buy a new rifle". The PH told the author that the tracker has always carried that rifle & had complete faith in the tracker. Just repeating what the author wrote to the best of my memory. I can't say how deadly the 50/95 is as I have not had the chance to bust a cap on anything yet.
Bob

bigted
05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
bullshop jr ... thanks for the posting of mikes 50. Mike ... what a beauty!!! that is a super nice looking '76'.

bullshop ... 1700 FPS W/ a 500 grain boolit in an old '86'? i can imagine that it would thump anything in its way ... that is around Ruger 45-70 in a 50 lever ... Whewww !