PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Shoot Lead in Remington 740

pete501
05-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Anyone shoot lead out of the Remington Wood Master Semi-Auto? Any issues with plugging the gas port. I do believe this is a tough one to break down. Also what is a good powder choice for ample gas pressures to cycle the action.

HARRYMPOPE
05-03-2014, 12:08 AM
I ran some though a 740 30-06 about 20 years back.I used a moderate load of 4064 (40g)and a Linotype bullet.It shot pretty well as i remember(about 3MOA).George Nonte had a Handloader article on gas guns and this is where i took my info from.I fired about 200 rounds of that load before i sold the rifle so i never had long term results.

Throwback
05-04-2014, 07:50 AM
As a gunsmith, I would hesitate shooting the 740 at recreational volumes. However, shooting cast bullets could conceivably improve its longevity. I wouldn't have huge concerns about its gas port. The key is to keep the chamber clean so that the rifle doesn't have to work too hard. I frequently find these rifles have dirty and even corroded chambers because of poor care. In addition to the functioning issues this causes, I suspect it increases the tendency of these rifles to chew themselves up. The problem is mostly uncorrectable at any reasonable price. Once damaged to the point of unreliability the rifle is a parts gun.

Gunnut 45/454
05-09-2014, 02:09 AM
Yep run Lee 155gr, 150gr,170gr in my Rem 7400 '06! And no you will not lead up the gas port! That's a myth just like shooting lead boolits in AR's! Your going to run them just short of Min loads for Jwods if you want semi-auto function anyway so you will have enough gas pressure to ensure no lead build up will occur.

Moonie
05-12-2014, 10:06 AM
We shoot cast in my sons 742, light loads that function the action and are much easier on the receiver than factory stuff. No issues with the gas port, didn't expect any.